Hello fellow GT40's

Just introducing myself, I'm based in the UK and have owned a CAV GT since 2011, I purchased my dream car with the intention of road use but soon decided to race it (that's what GT40's were built for!). I've been racing the GT for 3 years now and love it! Are there any other CAV racers in the UK?
Mark

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 298

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s.com Mark...

Nice looking GT, please share some more!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Mark

Welcome to the forum

I believe a few of us came over and chatted at Brands Hatch American motors day last year

Your car looked great

Ours were on the static display
Ian

Yes I was at the American Speedfest at Brands last year and remember you guys coming over for a chat, I will will be there again this year. The next race this season is at Silverstone on the 2nd May where I will be racing with the SRGT and Bernies V8s. This is a YouTube link from Oulton Park last year where we were a support race for the British GT, note that I had to fit cans on the tailpipes to pass the noise test, pity about that!

http://youtu.be/4oZJOcP8jqU

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Mark

What sort of safety kit did you have to fit in order to go racing!

Presumably full cage,
Fire kit
Cut off switches
.? Fuel cells?
Tagged flame suit
Tagged belts
Tagged helmet

Just looking as an outsider and trying to get a cost to get on track
Ian

Wow, you were quite lucky.
You could have ended with lots more damage.
I guess your exhaust silence cans were a bit dameged

Pat

Supporter
Glad the you and the car are OK after the brush with the wall.
I also really enjoyed your website photos and congratulations on all your trophies.

Mark, its great to see someone campaigning a CAV in "anger" as they say. I believe the cars are raced quite a bit in S. Africa but I'm unaware of other parts of the world where owners also put their cars through these serious trials. It would be invaluable to hear of modifications made to the car for racing for those of us that simply drive them on the street. Other then safety requirements were mods needed for brakes, gearbox, CV's to make the car deal with the rigors of tracking the car? Like Pat I'm glad to see you and car are both fine after the shunt. Continued success to you and your team.

I love the mini too....my first car was a '67 1275 Mini Cooper S. Loved it!

Other than the MSA safety equipment the car is standard, wilwood 4 pot brakes with Poly A pads, Weber 48 IDA conversion to a stock ford racing 306, BHP 360. Front caster 6.5, camber 2, toe in 2mm. Rear caster 0, camber 1, toe in 1.5mm. Rear spring 800lb, front 600lb. Gearbox Audi 01E DQS, std Audi cv's, std CAV drive shafts. Toyo 888 tyres on Image rims. The car would benefit from bigger front brakes to reduce heat and some more horse power, I'm reluctant to upgrade at the moment as the car is running solid and reliable.

Great info Mark. Thanks. Keep us posted (and post more vids if you can) on your racing ventures. Love seeing you out there.

Back