Hello from Norway !

Hello guys & girls :)

For the last 6 months I`ve been reading A LOT of threads over @ the FFR forum studying for the most part the GTM. It`s a great car and I had almost decided to go for it when I discovered the SL-C. Since I`m going to race my component car I think the SL-C looks to suite me even better than the GTM.

Most of the "FFR-klan" say that the GTM can be built for way less than the SL-C but since I live in Norway I face shipping costs for 2 cars ++(donor, kit, transaxle ++). I find it very time saving to be able to order everything I need from one place, and have everything shipped in one(ish) crate :thumbsup:

I haven`t decided yet, but the SL-C is really looking promising !

I hope it`s OK that I ask questions about the SL-C in here. I understand this is mainly a GT40 forum, but I guess since Fran is one of the moderators I`m sure he`s OK with it :tongue2:

OK, here goes:
-Can any of you point me in the direction of some good pictures of the optional race roll cage ?
-Does the FIA race roll cages come with some sertificate to show the Norwegian race authoritys ?
-The Norwegien regulations states that the rear wing (more or less) have to be a part of the body without sharp edges that sticks out. Is there anyone out there who have made a "962-type" rear wing on the SL-C ?

I have a lot of aditional questions, but I`ll save them for another thread.

I`m visiting FFR this Christmas, and it would be OH SOOO cool if I could drop by to have a look at someone`s SL-C on the way back along the Wareham MA - Lancaster PA route, any one ? :laugh:

OK, thanx for reading !

Hello guys & girls :)

For the last 6 months I`ve been reading A LOT of threads over @ the FFR forum studying for the most part the GTM. It`s a great car and I had almost decided to go for it when I discovered the SL-C. Since I`m going to race my component car I think the SL-C looks to suite me even better than the GTM.

Most of the "FFR-klan" say that the GTM can be built for way less than the SL-C but since I live in Norway I face shipping costs for 2 cars ++(donor, kit, transaxle ++). I find it very time saving to be able to order everything I need from one place, and have everything shipped in one(ish) crate :thumbsup:

I haven`t decided yet, but the SL-C is really looking promising !

I hope it`s OK that I ask questions about the SL-C in here. I understand this is mainly a GT40 forum, but I guess since Fran is one of the moderators I`m sure he`s OK with it :tongue2:

OK, here goes:
-Can any of you point me in the direction of some good pictures of the optional race roll cage ?
-Does the FIA race roll cages come with some sertificate to show the Norwegian race authoritys ?
-The Norwegien regulations states that the rear wing (more or less) have to be a part of the body without sharp edges that sticks out. Is there anyone out there who have made a "962-type" rear wing on the SL-C ?

I have a lot of aditional questions, but I`ll save them for another thread.

I`m visiting FFR this Christmas, and it would be OH SOOO cool if I could drop by to have a look at someone`s SL-C on the way back along the Wareham MA - Lancaster PA route, any one ? :laugh:

OK, thanx for reading !

Based on the recent Thunderhill race, I'd say the SLC has tremendous potential for racing, as it was apparently able to lap the class leading cars with ease once some early gremlins were sorted. More development on the car would doubtless turn it into a track terror.

There are several variants of race cages, from the stiffening bars in John Salmon's car, to the CrMo cage in the SLC that recently entered the Thunderhill 25 hour. Best to speak with Fran about the details, including any certifications.

The SLC can be ordered with the "street" tail, without the wing, and would likely meet your requirements in that area.

I'm in northern Virginia near Washington DC, and would be happy to show my SLC, if you can swing a little farther south on your trip.

Hi Will!

Thank you for your reply :thumbsup:

Yes, I read that it kicked a$$ for a periode of time and I think that says A LOT given the level of some of the top cars attending the 25h @ Thunderhill!

I`ve already PM`d Fran about the cage and other stuff. Guess I`ll need a rear wing for racing, so I have to find a solution. No worries, it`s all good :)

OH, and MAN it would be great to come visit you and have a look at your car !!!!
Please PM me your phone nr.

Last edited:
Welcome Ketil,

We (SL-C owners) are all ready to help as much as we can with your questions. What engine/transaxle are you considering?

Hi Doc, thank you!

Sounds good to me :thumbsup:

This is fairly early in my thought process, but if I choose to go for an SL-C I`m thinking an LS7 + Mendeola SDR-5 would be a "safe" solution. Factory dry sump system and a transaxle that mounts right up to the LS7 sounds like a trouble free package, doesn`t it?

I`ve read that the Ricardo is a bit heavy and is a 6-speed box which I really don`t need in a race car built for the short twisty tracks here in Norway.

I see your car has an LS7, how much RWHP are you making ?
How would you say the SL-C handles that power ?
Do you have to use HUGE rear slicks to get the car to hook up ?

I`m studying the possibilty to mount a 962-type rear wing within the body lines of the car. Do you know if the "race wing" can be cut in width and mounted between vertical fins that goes from aprox 5" behind the fuel filler cap and all the way to the end of the body ? I`ve made a handfull of sketches of my idea, and I think it would be possible to make it flow with the rest of the design.

PS! MAN the chassis looks TOP NOTCH, and WOW those front Brembo`s look awesome !! REALLY want that !! :devilish:

Last edited:
Ketil,
The optional wheels are CCW and are WIDE. Tires I'm using are front 295/30/18 and for the rear they are 345/30/18 Michelin PS2 Cup tires. There are several proprietary
wing kits for the rear that will work, and save time and fabrication. This may require
different mounting of the rear clip, easily done. Lots of work fabricating the 962 type. The LS7 would be a reliable engine and for a track car that's the best IMO. Yes, the SL-C chassis is like jewlery! That's what convinced me to buy it.

We fellow SL-C owners would be pleased to assist however we may. I would simply love to see an SL-C in Norway!

Hi Molleur!

MAN that shure is wide! 295 up front on a 2400lb. mid-engine car sounds wicked :devilish:

OK, I`ll study the Norwegian race regulations some more and see if I may get the race wing passed anyway. You say several wings, can you maybe specify by pictures for me ? I really don`t want to fab. something up, but if I have to I will.

Good to hear that the "LS7 plan" is sound. How about the Mendeola ? I know it`s fairly new on the street market, but I`ve read that they`r considering offering the SDR-5 for the SL-C in addition to the GTM.

Yes the chassis is so good looking that it`s almost a shame to cover it up with the body!

Thank you so much for the warm welcome guys!

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter

Ketil --

Speaking as someone who came here intially just to learn about GT40s, I find the SL-C discussions (and other RCR discussions) absolutely fascinating. Besides, there's a subforum devoted specifically to RCR cars so it's official: you should definitely post here. I hope you'll allow us to track your decision-making and building process.

Regarding your Christmas trip, have you considered visiting RCR itself?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
How about the Mendeola ? I know it`s fairly new on the street market, but I`ve read that they`r considering offering the SDR-5 for the SL-C in addition to the GTM.

BTW Mendeola is in my neighborhood (near San Diego) so if I can help you with that let me know.

Ketil,

I wish I could give you HP numbers yet, but I'm not ready to roll. I believe Fran has a Mendeola mock-up so you can get the details from him directly. I haven't unwrapped my CF rear wing yet to tell if it can be trimmed if needed. Jack is the man to know about CF composites.

I will run 345's in the rear. Can't decide whether to go 295 or 305 for the front.

Doc, don't go bigger than the 295's in the front. Plenty of tire! Unless you do some offset front wheels the 305's may contact the control arms.

The SL-C #18 runs 12 inch wide front wheels, and 13 inch rears but we limited the steering rack travel as race cars dont need 30 deg of lock...

Hi Alan and folks!

I have not considered visiting RCR on my Christmas trip. Maybe I plan something like that for next summer, would really LOVE that! I`m planing to have a look at Will`s car though, and I can`t wait!!!

Sounds like the optional wheel upgrade package is the way to go for me (11x18 front and 13x18 rear).

I`ve seen a couple of pictures of what looks to be a race version of an SL-C. It`s black and have a V8 Twin Turbo engine. Does any of you have pictures of that car or another race version?

Back