Hi, any body hit 200mph on the track,?

This maybe a little bit off topic, but it does fall into the area of flying.

This applies to the USA only.

If you would like to see what your property (or someone elses address) looks like from the air (1 mile to 4 miles up+), their is a web site that will allow let you type in an address, and look at the address from up yonder.

I have no affiliation with this site, but I have used it several times in my bill collecting days. Saved me alot of time in a case or two.

Try: TerraFly and let us know what you think.

Cheers....and remember, fly safely now!:pepper:

It doesn't count here, but my top speed at Bonneville was 220 mph for an average speed going both ways of 217.849. Before that, we were running full-treaded Michelin tires, which the engineers told us not to shave, causing me to spin at 210. I didn't get upside down--thank you Lord--but it did require underwear and tire changes.

Hi Samantha,

I was held back to 160mph when I ran in the ECTA Land Speed Runs at Maxton AFB in North Carolina. My car is not caged hence the speed limit.

The computer showed I was half throttle in first gear, halt throttle through half of second gear, then full throttle until I passed the half mile point where I passed 160 and had to hold it back. There's a video at Xtreme GT40 - Multimedia Samples for your enjoyment.

I was there testing a front splitter and managed downforce on the GT40. It was a lot of fun but I want to test with a six speed and no speed limit. I'm guessing it will easily go over 200 in the measured mile. There was soooo much more pedal room at 162. And 160 in a half mile... I think 200 is an easy target.

I'd have my reservations about an open cockpit though.

Mark

I have the tech form from Bonneville to help guide my build.

didn't know about ECTA... much closer to me. I will be checking that out. :)

This is kind of an old thread but nevertheless.... On a short burst in rural eastern washington state I got to 161 as indicated on my handheld GPS (speedo indicated 172) before running out of gearing and bumping up against the rev limiter. That was with a dead level road, good surface, minimal undulations, no cross wind, taped body seams and no traffic! She probably had 5-8mph left in her before gearing become the limiting factor.

On that same stretch of road my older brother hit 189 (GPS) in his Esprit S4S before things started getting hairy (windshield wiper going airborn and the window glass looking like it was about to get sucked out).

I think you might find that there's a very large difference between hitting say 150 and 200 - except in the most refined supercars, things tend to get spooky above about 160 (like, going airborne off of a undulation in the roadway).

There was soooo much more pedal room at 162. And 160 in a half mile... I think 200 is an easy target.

Mark

Well it certainly sounds like you had fun, which is the most important thing but IMHO there is still a big difference between 162 and 200 'in a standing mile'... That second half mile passes by flippin quick and you'll need plenty of excess power to achieve the magic 200+.

At a recent speed trial I attended, an XJ220, with a tuned 650hp+ only managed 198 over 1.2 miles from a standing start and it was clearly not short of power.

What sort of power/weight figures do you have.?

Ron Earp

Admin
Real quick. 160mph gives 2.66 miles per minute, or, one mile per 0.36 min. Half a mile disappears in 0.18 mins, or 10.8 seconds - roughly 10 secs for sake of discussion.

For the next 1/2 mile the car needs to pick up 40mph and has 10 secs to do so. That is one thing driving at highway speeds but quite another at a buck sixty.

R

Real quick. 160mph gives 2.66 miles per minute, or, one mile per 0.36 min. Half a mile disappears in 0.18 mins, or 10.8 seconds - roughly 10 secs for sake of discussion.

For the next 1/2 mile the car needs to pick up 40mph and has 10 secs to do so. That is one thing driving at highway speeds but quite another at a buck sixty.

R

Guess I'll have to open her up in first and second gear next time. :)

At a recent speed trial I attended, an XJ220, with a tuned 650hp+ only managed 198 over 1.2 miles from a standing start and it was clearly not short of power.

The Jag @ 4400 lbs. needs about 880hp to get to a 1:5 power to weight ratio.

joined the 299 club on the I-5 just north of sacramento on the R1, figure should be able to close in on that with my 40. standby

joined the 299 club on the I-5 just north of sacramento on the R1, figure should be able to close in on that with my 40. standby

Do you mean to say the 200 club? On an R1? Must have some goodies on it to go 200, no?

Approx 175mph for me on the Daytona banking with a Superbike. That track is REALLY BUMPY and gives you a good bruising at that speed. My neck (ouch) still remembers...

I've been to approx 160-170 in a Trans Am Mustang with a little over 710 HP. Can't remember what our weight requirement was, but with the big rear wing and the front splitter being what it was, I don't think there was much more left. I must say that I find the two hundred mark not very practical for most of us hobbyists. I'll be gearing my kit to be maxed at about 150-160. That's more than enough for me at this pont.

mesa, 299k, mine was canadian spec, it actually will keep pulling, so i would guess maybe 305K, whatever that works out to. anytime i have done that has been on smooth surfaces, or you get the crap knocked out of you.

crash33, i figure 6:00 am, sunday morning, I-5 just north of o'side, should be the place to give the 40 a go.

dave, never thought of that, yep V2 in a MTOW -400 would be pretty hot.

have gone 70kts in a willard marine interceptor, not that fast, BUT it felt like 200

Cal,
299 KPH = 186 MPH.

We built the crap out of a 1000 Superbike mainly for places like Fontana (California Speedway). We would put the tallest gearing we could find on a 200RWHP engine and still could have used a little more in the draft. Buttttttt....The Factory Boys would still pass us like we were screwed to the ground. The life of the underfunded privateer......Never did find out what the trap speeds were there at the time.

Going "fast" on water, now THAT scares the .... out of me

Last edited:
The Jag @ 4400 lbs. needs about 880hp to get to a 1:5 power to weight ratio.

Just discovered the XJ220 actually had 750+ hp - but still short of your 40 ratio. It also interestingly has a very similiar drag coefficient of about .31-.35 but again, that extra 0.2 mile must have helped.

Weight is a key factor too and the XJ driver was 'slight' at most, his weight having less effect than similar wt driver in a 40.

Still - keep shooting for 200 - it's a goal that many set but far fewer attain - I have not. - YET!:cry:

Have fun - play safe.

Reference Davids flying speeds, I have experienced negative speed figures. Piper cub with a stall speed of about 24 MPH into a strong headwind means you can fly forwards at a negative ground speed, fly forwards backwards !

Back