Hi, any body hit 200mph on the track,?

As Frank says, noise is a real 'issue' at Goodwood and speeds over 140 on Lavant Straight not easily achieved. Best Roy and I ever managed was 155/157 and Woodcote was rapidly becoming 'marginal' for our less than expert skills....

I have heard of some single seaters achieving 170+ but have never witnessed it. From what I have seen, top speeds do not give the fastest laptimes at Goodwood, being very fast through the corners and staying smooth, together with 'confident' late braking pays most dividends..... Just ask anyone who's passengered with Mike Wilds in a 40 at Goodwood...Truly awesome.....!!!!!

Finally - If you are looking for a long straight, there is an 'invited' event at a military airstrip in Norfolk that we attend that gives about 1.5 miles 'on power' - best thus far there is about 192 i think (tweeked XJ220)..

Hi Guys, Thanks for all the replys, Sorry I did not reply streight back different time zones ect,

It was in the back of my mind to have the car wind tunnel tested befor trying to go over 180mph which the car will do safely, as with a demonstrator I have been in.

This car is a brand new car & needs setting up properly before going to the edge of its performance,

the goodwood event will be the cars 1st preveiw on the track & will be a good event to run the car in a bit, as to the sound levels I have been borrowed a couple of bolt on silencers if the noise is too great.

Thanks Samantha

hi Samantha,
one of the place u can try reach 320km/h speed will be surely my beloved Monza track (30 euros to get in...check website for available days: ::::: MONZANET ::::: ).
This is one of the very last palces where U can seriously test your hardware,just be careful cause the car cemetery near is already full of wonderful cars.. (saw just last sunday a Lambo LP640 long as a panda,roadplated april 2007..).

If u wanna come down here, just let me know and I will be there supporting u:pepper:

Sam
I think you're on the right track. Good luck and let us know the wind tunnel tests, and how you do in your quest.

Cheers
Bill

Thanks for all your helpfull ideas & advise, I will learn about my car over the comming months & once I can trust the car I minght try a gradual build up to the 200 margin in the mean time I will enjoy the car. I dont intend doing 200 at goodwood just to enjoy the experience should hit some good speeds though on the long sweeping bends.

Regards Samantha

Samantha

In Maxon, North Carolina, home of the ECTA(east coast timing assoc.) They hold 5 races a year for land speed records. It is heaviy attended. They have set numerous records. It is an old air field I believe. The owner of MTI racing who supplied my seats takes his corvette up at least once a year. The timmers were a bit off this last session. They officially reached 192 mph. Their goal was 200. They race just about every class you can imagine.

Welcome to ECTA

Bill

Hi boys, 200 MPH spounds like 320 km/h, more or less.
I have been, but not driving at 385 km/s in a Dauer Porsche 962 on the ring of Nardò. The crazy Jochen was feeling so confortable to drive with one hand and setting the boost level with the other.
Several times I drove to 340 -345 km/h by testing and developping the Bugatti 110 or the Pagani or the Koenigsegg.
The feeling????The same of playing a Russian Roulette.
Ciao
Wanni

But the most impressive thing I have seen, is.....Gildo driving with a Bugatti 110 especially prepared at 296,5 km/h on ice. This is something, believe me.
Ciao
Wanni

Never quite made it to the 200mph but suggest for a fast run you want Bruntingthorpe air track with its 2mile straight. Hooser Tyres, downhill, with the wind behind me and the elastic band fully wound up.....

Thank goodness for GPS speed readings - technology is flawless

Regards

dick

p.s. who says rover engines can't deliver :) (make lightness)

Attachments

• Speed.jpg
    Speed.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 713
The MK-IV's used Goodyear Blue Streaks which you can still get. At 223 they made 950lbs of lift.

You can't fit Veryon tires as they require special wheels but Michlin PS 2's are close and what we use on P 4/5 which is steady as a rock at 200 which we kissed at CERAM. (Rene Arnoux was driving) Because of the banking we couldn't go any faster as the G forces were putting the rear body work into the tires. On a straight she will reach 233. 660hp 2600lbs.

At Le Mans the Lola coupes went 205 but the spyders won't. You need a much longer tail.

J6 went 223 MPH at 6200 rpm with Le Mans gearing. About 500 HP 2300 lbs

Today I keep her below that...

P 4/5 will be at the FOS.

Best

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I look forward to seeing it up close, and in motion then.

Looks fantastic, glad you/they decided to turn the Enzo into something beautiful!

Cheers,

Max

The MK-IV's used Goodyear Blue Streaks which you can still get. At 223 they made 950lbs of lift.

You can't fit Veryon tires as they require special wheels but Michlin PS 2's are close and what we use on P 4/5 which is steady as a rock at 200 which we kissed at CERAM. (Rene Arnoux was driving) Because of the banking we couldn't go any faster as the G forces were putting the rear body work into the tires. On a straight she will reach 233. 660hp 2600lbs.

At Le Mans the Lola coupes went 205 but the spyders won't. You need a much longer tail.

J6 went 223 MPH at 6200 rpm with Le Mans gearing. About 500 HP 2300 lbs

Today I keep her below that...
P 4/5 will be at the FOS.

Best

Jim,
Correct me if I am wrong. I obviously do not know more than I have read and I am curious? I was under the impression that the MKIV's at Le Mans never used their true top speed because
1) In the 1967 Le mans race they used the MKIIB Ford France car as a rabbit to try and break the Ferrari 330P4's
2) Dan Gurney deliberately posted slower laps to keep A.J.Foyt from sprinting and breaking the car since this was his first race at Le Mans.
He also stopped on the racetrack and let the second placed 330P4 through (he was a good number of laps ahead) and then caught and passed it. Just to show the Ferrari drivers his superior performance.
3) That Le Mans cars teams had a strategy and especially in the case of Ford the previous year a rev limit.
4) Maybe they kept their speeds down after the Andretti crash which wiped out two MKIV's and one MKIIB?
5) The timing position on the Mulsanne straight was at the begining so it recorded a conservative top speed.
6) The Le Mans race was about survival not top speeds
7) In testing the MKIV hit 215mph
8) The 1966 Le Mans MKII's engine had a life expendancy of 30 hours.
did they have the same testing in 1967? on the MKIV's.
9) I believe the true top speed at maximium would be in the order of 223-224mph but not in an 24hour endurance race. Given the fact that the P4 was down on power but lighter and I think it needed less fuel stops. Although it had what looked like an beautiful aerodynamic bodyshape; this was not the case and I think it was good for 199mph along the Mulsanne straight with 450bhp as opposed to the heaver MKIV's 530bhp. Going 9/10ths would of won the race in terms of reliability especially when your down to two MKIV's. The Ford MKIIB's where too heavy and also did not last the race so Ford's outright contenders would have been the MKIV's.
10) My main point about the MKIV's being handled carefully to see out the race. Was Henry Ford II wanting an all American car with an all American crew to win Le Mans. I do not thiink anyone would have been too keen to go up against his 'orders.'
11) The aerodynamic Lola T70 MKIII coupes at 1967 Le Mans were powered by the Aston Martin enginge they were time in practise at 205mph. But because of engine unreliabilty and faults did not make that speed constantly in the race.
Regards Allan

Last edited:
Jim,
Correct me if I am wrong. I obviously do not know more than I have read and I am curious? I was under the impression that the MKIV's at Le Mans never used their true top speed because
1) In the 1967 Le mans race they used the MKIIB Ford France car as a rabbit to try and break the Ferrari 330P4's
2) Dan Gurney deliberately posted slower laps to keep A.J.Foyt from sprinting and breaking the car since this was his first race at Le Mans.
He also stopped on the racetrack and let the second placed 330P4 through (he was a good number of laps ahead) and then caught and passed it. Just to show the Ferrari drivers his superior performance.
3) That Le Mans cars teams had a strategy and especially in the case of Ford the previous year a rev limit.
4) Maybe they kept their speeds down after the Andretti crash which wiped out two MKIV's and one MKIIB?
5) The timing position on the Mulsanne straight was at the begining so it recorded a conservative top speed.
6) The Le Mans race was about survival not top speeds
7) In testing the MKIV hit 215mph
8) The 1966 Le Mans MKII's engine had a life expendancy of 30 hours.
did they have the same testing in 1967? on the MKIV's.
9) I believe the true top speed at maximium would be in the order of 223-224mph but not in an 24hour endurance race. Given the fact that the P4 was down on power but lighter and I think it needed less fuel stops. Although it had what looked like an beautiful aerodynamic bodyshape; this was not the case and I think it was good for 199mph along the Mulsanne straight with 450bhp as opposed to the heaver MKIV's 530bhp. Going 9/10ths would of won the race in terms of reliability especially when your down to two MKIV's. The Ford MKIIB's where too heavy and also did not last the race so Ford's outright contenders would have been the MKIV's.
10) My main point about the MKIV's being handled carefully to see out the race. Was Henry Ford II wanting an all American car with an all American crew to win Le Mans. I do not thiink anyone would have been too keen to go up against his 'orders.'
11) The aerodynamic Lola T70 MKIII coupes at 1967 Le Mans were powered by the Aston Martin enginge they were time in practise at 205mph. But because of engine unreliabilty and faults did not make that speed constantly in the race.
Regards Allan

Hi

1. The MK-IV's barring accident couldn't be beaten and they knew that going in having run the race on a chassis dyno where they set rev. limits of 6200.

2. There were team orders on lap speeds and all seemed to keep to them.
When he pulled over he was just mind f*cking Ferrari. He said he could pass at will.

3. Yes I beleive they did.

4. Not sure about that I think they were told to be carefull.

5. Never heard that but it could be true.

6. True

7. In qualfying Bruce took the pole setting a lap record touching 223.

8. Yes pre tested on dyno

9. Yes but I think top speed was limited by revs and brakes. Hauling down from 223 to 25 for the hairpin was about all those brakes could do.

10. Yes

11 Yes

(off the top of my head)

Best

Chris Duncan

Supporter
The original 40's had a lot of lift, making 200mph scary. Some of the replicas aren't even that good. One of the areas of concern is the nostril, is ALL of the air coming in the nose going out the nostril? The single is better than the twin nostril and it should go all the way down to and even seal at the radiator.

Same with the back clip some designs cause pressure buildup because of not enough sealing around the turkey pan area. Also some of the original cars had more venting on the back panel.

Another thing to look at is eyebrows on the top inside edge of the doors, the door edge lifts there at speed. Some of the originals run canards which give some front down force.

And the obvious things like the suspension set in a nose down attitude to keep air from underneath.

Extreme Classics builds a front splitter and side skirts.

You can tell the original cars problems by the development in the Ford GT with the front splitter and rear diffusers.

The GT40 kits are capable of 200mph but with most it probably means some aerodynamic development beyond out of the box form, before going that fast.

Then the question of where, the salt flats is an obvious and probably some of the big tri-ovals with a road course infield that runs a track day. And the Silver State Classic of course. With most of these you need to anticipate the rules. Like full roll cages, fire systems etc.

VCC56

Lifetime Supporter
I'm certainly having a crack at the 200 next year at Woodbridge when my 40 has its dry-sumped Roush 427 IR in place. Depending on gearing, obviously. GTD40 club member Joel English did 216 MPH at Woodbridge over 1.3 miles in his awesome supercharged Viper GTS in 05'. No one has beaten him there yet. This year Nad and I are doing the Woodbridge Speedtrials in the Viper Comp Coupe and my newly supercharged GTS. Should be good.

Back