Hopeful new owner

I am in the process of trading my 1 of 2 made 1935 Bentley for a 2005 Ford GT 40 the deals worth about 135K. I am 6' tall ,own several Porsches including a 1 off RUF BTR C-4. I have never driven a GT 40, then again I never saw or even drove the RUF until I bought it. What do I need to be looking for in this 6,500 mi 2005 Car? Please hit me with the truth as I hate BS and yes I can drive I used to race Porsches and was also an autocross champ and a pretty good wrench with a complete shop and garage! Thanks Jim

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I am in the process of trading my 1 of 2 made 1935 Bentley for a 2005 Ford GT 40 the deals worth about 135K. I am 6' tall ,own several Porsches including a 1 off RUF BTR C-4. I have never driven a GT 40, then again I never saw or even drove the RUF until I bought it. What do I need to be looking for in this 6,500 mi 2005 Car? Please hit me with the truth as I hate BS and yes I can drive I used to race Porsches and was also an autocross champ and a pretty good wrench with a complete shop and garage! Thanks Jim

Hi Jim,

Welcome to GT40s..

Well the Ford GT is not a GT40 (which I'm sure you know) as the GT is larger in almost every dimension from the GT40. I've not driven a GT40 but I have driven Ford GTs. From my experiences, I would say that you need to invest in an extra set of wheels for Better brake pads, Track Tires, Clear-Bra for the body and a free flowing aftermarket exhaust. Those would be the first things I would do. The Factory muffler is not up to constant thrashing on a track day as they build up too much heat. One car had built up some fuel in the exhaust and it split the muffler when it detonated. The split directed the scorching hot exhaust gasses like a torch on the rear fascia. from the license plate light to the right side tail light housing - burned..

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Thanks Randy. I dont think I will track this car if I get one as I have a 73 RS hotrod race car/street car for that. I would like to find an owner in PA or close to Harrisburg area or MD or DE to see and drive one. I have looked them over a few yrs ago but need to do some more research as @6ft 190 will iIfit ok, where can I get maintaince done that I cannot do what are the problems to look for and what questions about previous problems should I ask? Thanks jim

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Six feet and 190 punds will fit a Ford GT fine.

Go to the Ford GT forum and ask around there, you will find answers to all questions.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
This is the "GT40" forum, The "Ford GT" is a different animal and NOT a "GT40" either in name nor content. The Ford GT was INSPIRED and styled after the GT40, but is a modern, functional supercar and a whole different kettle of fish.

You want to look at The Ford GT Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Not that you are not welcome here, but the GT forum has the information you require.

Last edited:
Thanks I did find it after your last note. I have been a member here for several years as I have had interest in these cars too and in 917 Porsches. I have judged them nationally and 962 also 908,910s. THanks for yor help.

Actually, the title of this particular forum is "all GT40 and all Ford GT talk-all the time" So, you are in the correct forum.

Mike

Jim, you're going to love your Ford GT. It is hands down a better car than any porsche old or new out there, including turbos, GT3, GT2, etc. Well, except for a nicely preserved 917. The Ford GT is simply amazing. Effortless power and stability. It's the only car that I'd ever risk breaking 200mph in. Build quality is very high (porsche probably does edge it slightly in this regard however, but only very slightly). It's less complicated than a turbo/GT3 and also faster and easier to drive fast. You'll fit just fine.

Obviously, I'm kind of a fan of the GT. I don't have one in my own garage just yet (have a nice GT40 and a few f-cars and porsche) but will be looking to add one pretty soon.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info. I am still waiting to see what dealer will take my 35 Bentley as most do not understand pre war sport cars. Plus I am still debating on what to do. Its a tough call when you have a rare car that appreciates over 10-15% per yr while most cars go down dramatically! But I am tired of pre war cars. I need another hot rod to go with the rest of my collection. Though I do have a few old Rolls cars for when Im in the old time luxury mood! LOL FYI Rolls cars are used are extremely cheap we have 2 for sale at the museum for 8K each! Thanks guys! jim

Back