How does superlite's SL-C handle in the winter?

I do not know where else to ask this, but as I live in Michigan, I need to know how this car handles in winter conditions before I buy the kit.

almost forgot to ask, but does anyone know id the SL-C could be built as an EV? where I live, electric charge is much cheaper than gas, so I thought that it would be a good idea in the long run.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Save your money, and buy a production built car. Even thinking about driving one in the winter is unrealistic. I live in Michigan also. It will never happen.
Regards Brian

Also make sure to read specs on the tires you're considering running. While we all know little traction with high performance tires until they heat up, as I found out (asked a similar question about the coldest people have driven their SLC), tire manufacturers say do not drive or even move the car if it's below 40, technically you should not have any weight on the tires due to the rubber compound....it can crack. I had no clue about this, but glad I asked.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...electric charge is much cheaper than gas, so I thought that it would be a good idea in the long run.

NOW it is. But think ahead a bit.
The day will soon come (as in 'wiki-wiki'!) when governments will make darned sure that E.V. owners pay thru the nose like everyone else.
License tabs for E.V.s will $5K per-year-or-more depending on their purchase price...or mandatory 'mileage meters' will be affixed 'em and they'll be taxed accordingly...or you-name-the-method - but E.V. owners will pay.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Like Del is saying about the tires. GM has a warning on their site about the tires not being suitable for cold weather applications for the Corvette. The warning talks about even moving the car when stored in the 40-45 degree range. The tires to crack and start to chunk apart when you drive them. Do TONS of research !!!

Regards Brian

NOW it is. But think ahead a bit.
The day will soon come (as in 'wiki-wiki'!) when governments will make darned sure that E.V. owners pay thru the nose like everyone else.
License tabs for E.V.s will $5K per-year-or-more depending on their purchase price...or mandatory 'mileage meters' will be affixed 'em and they'll be taxed accordingly...or you-name-the-method - but E.V. owners will pay.

What does this even mean? Do the math... EV "cheap"now compared to gas. Future EV more expensive, and one would expect that the government would disincentivize ICE cars in order to encourage EV usage, so EV will still be cheaper - or at least on par with gas if gov doesn't mess with gas cars.

So what's the takeaway? EV is currently cheaper, and at least going to be on par with gas vehicles in the future.

I see no problem with EV at all. Go for it.

Like Del is saying about the tires. GM has a warning on their site about the tires not being suitable for cold weather applications for the Corvette. The warning talks about even moving the car when stored in the 40-45 degree range. The tires to crack and start to chunk apart when you drive them. Do TONS of research !!!

Regards Brian
so, what I hear is that I should swap for tires from the local shop, an go for the EV mods, right?

You can build it any way you like, and drive it in any conditions you like with the following caveats -
1) it will be noisy, EV will help
2) it will be drafty as hell in the cold
3) it probably won't be 100% weatherproof
4) all season tires or not, any whiff of snow/precip in the cold conditions, and it will look for the nearest tree

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
What does this even mean? Do the math... EV "cheap"now compared to gas. Future EV more expensive, and one would expect that the government would disincentivize ICE cars in order to encourage EV usage, so EV will still be cheaper - or at least on par with gas if gov doesn't mess with gas cars.

So what's the takeaway? EV is currently cheaper, and at least going to be on par with gas vehicles in the future.

I see no problem with EV at all. Go for it.

We'll see.
But, it's a safe bet individuals who cannot afford to buy an E.V. replacement for their 'used' ICE car will riot in the streets if the gubmunt tried to pull what you've suggested. They will not be able to afford gov't-mandated penalties placed on their cars...especially if they're outlawed completely.

Those whose jobs would evaporate because of government mandates against fossil fuels and ICE cars will likewise not be too thrilled. (XL pipeline employees who instantly lossed theirs at the stroke of a pen are P.O.ed right now.)

That's just the tip of the counter-argument, but, it's all I'm going to say on the subject for fear of 'crossing a certain line'.
'Might be thin ice there right now as it is... ;)

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
We'll see.
But, it's a safe bet individuals who cannot afford to buy an E.V. replacement for their 'used' ICE car will riot in the streets if the gubmunt tried to pull what you've suggested. They will not be able to afford gov't-mandated penalties placed on their cars...especially if they're outlawed completely.

Those whose jobs would evaporate because of government mandates against fossil fuels and ICE cars will likewise not be too thrilled. (XL pipeline employees who instantly LOST theirs at the stroke of a pen are P.O.ed right now.)

That's just the tip of the counter-argument, but, it's all I'm going to say on the subject for fear of 'crossing a certain line'.

^^^ LOST!

Dyslexia is funnnnn!

I dont know how this post got off topic to EVs, but I will answer you regarding winter use from my personal experience only. I had my SLC for 4 years both as a coupe and as a Leman. Allan built both bodies for the 1 chassis. I drove the coupe almost daily in the winter in NY in as low as 9 degrees. I drove the Leman in 28 degrees at 140mph in high wind gusts on straightaways. I drove my car also in heavy rain. The car had a base ls3 tuned to about 400hp at the wheels with the Nitto tires fran provided. So long as I didnt poke the gas on a right hand turn, it didnt lose traction. I wouldnt race the car around in such low temperatures as you are losing significant grip and have a light car as it is. Use at low temperatures will obviously wear and rip at the tire tread but just use your common sense and dont do anything stupid. Dont drive in any snow or ice either. If you want to drive around on a cold day at normal speeds and not aggressively, you'll be fine. The nittos are good for atleast 10k miles.

We'll see.

Those whose jobs would evaporate because of government mandates against fossil fuels and ICE cars will likewise not be too thrilled. (XL pipeline employees who instantly lossed theirs at the stroke of a pen are P.O.ed right now.)

Ok, that’s just an “everything is a slippery slope” when it comes to some ideological issue with government. I’m not touching it.

I dont know how this post got off topic to EVs, but I will answer you regarding winter use from my personal experience only. I had my SLC for 4 years both as a coupe and as a Leman. Allan built both bodies for the 1 chassis. I drove the coupe almost daily in the winter in NY in as low as 9 degrees. I drove the Leman in 28 degrees at 140mph in high wind gusts on straightaways. I drove my car also in heavy rain. The car had a base ls3 tuned to about 400hp at the wheels with the Nitto tires fran provided. So long as I didnt poke the gas on a right hand turn, it didnt lose traction. I wouldnt race the car around in such low temperatures as you are losing significant grip and have a light car as it is. Use at low temperatures will obviously wear and rip at the tire tread but just use your common sense and dont do anything stupid. Dont drive in any snow or ice either. If you want to drive around on a cold day at normal speeds and not aggressively, you'll be fine. The nittos are good for atleast 10k miles.

I added to the question, so not completely off topic...

as for what I mean by winter conditions, this would be my daily driver for a long time to come, and would need to handle snow and rain. I dont plan on pushing past anything sensible for those conditions, probably 25-35 MPH tops in the worst case.

just run the snow tires year round. I had snow tires on my ford maverick in High school. in the warm months you can peel out over man holes and spew sparks from your tires.

And ya the government will always get theirs. electric cars wont be cheap in the future. the only reason tesla turns a profit is because of its sale of carbon credits.

THIS WILL GET THE JOB DONE
FBE27A25-2478-4743-82FA-97BE87C03360.jpeg

Good luck getting the chains in that tight wheel well. And the damage to the paint in the snow or crud getting into the engine bay. NO SNOW. You have no traction control, ABS or power steering as it is, and its over powered. Hunter, is that you?

It’ll be way over $100k for an ev drivetrain. Realistically close to $200k. You’ll never make up the savings. And you’ll definetly need a donor Tesla or something similar or how else will you control the battery motor and charging functions ? And all the cooling pumps , battery cell management etc. ….

Back