How good is a Getrag Transaxle?

I'm a "newbie" looking at several replicas for street duty. One I've come across is a CAV replica with a Getrag 5 speed.

I would prefer the ZF but do not wish to discount the Getrag if it is a good transmission as well.

When I did a search it sounded like there are quite a few variations of this trans used in many applications over the years.

Is this the same as an Audi trans?

Any pros or cons or things to be aware of?

Thanks-DandyDon

I'm a "newbie" looking at several replicas for street duty. One I've come across is a CAV replica with a Getrag 5 speed.

I would prefer the ZF but do not wish to discount the Getrag if it is a good transmission as well.

When I did a search it sounded like there are quite a few variations of this trans used in many applications over the years.

Is this the same as an Audi trans?

Any pros or cons or things to be aware of?

Thanks-DandyDon

Being that Getrag has made hundreds of different transmission types, a model number or other identifying information would helpful to answer your questions.

Don,

Scott is right, that would be helpful. I suspect the Getrag in the CAV you're looking at is either an old 016 or a newer 01e (6 speed?), both from Audi vehicles. In any case, if done properly, both are fine for normal street driving. I would venture to say that neither are that great for track duty, in which case the ZF (or a porsche 930) box is a better transaxle.

You might want to ask if the transaxle in the CAV you're looking at has a limited slip, and what preparation the transaxle received before being installed in the car (was it rebuilt? receive any special treatment? etc.). If it was just pulled out of a wrecked audi and then installed in the CAV then that's not the best approach. Scott is the expert and can advise what should be done with it if you decide to move ahead with the CAV.

Good luck!

Don, Cliff's spot on. I own a CAV with a Audi Getrag 016 and its "suitable" for my type of driving, [read] street use. The gearing is ok but first is not much and I would never recommend drop clutch starts from 3K rpm. Racing, not a chance IMHO with the O16. The O1E (6 spd) I hear is a much more suitable and stonger box with better ratios. I think there are some using these boxes in race applications (down under in SA, Aus. & NZ) so they might be able to shed more light on that if you are looking to race the CAV. As for the CAV car itself....very well made and put together and certainly a HOOT to drive. I love mine! Also, good support from the factory and the local (NC) factory representative. Be aware though....you go anywhere with it and there's a good chance you'll become a VIP.

As said, it would be realy helpful to know the type of Getrag.

Porsches G50´s are Getrag gearboxes as well and they can be made to boxes superior to the ZF.

TOM

Back