Hows this GT40 build plan sound?

This is my build plan. When I have enough money which will be in a few years, I plan on purchasing the Deluxe Plus MK1 GT40 Kit from RCR. Pretty much its every part and piece included but the motor and tranny (unless I'm mistaken?). It'll definitely have to be in left hand drive. As for the body and paint, I'm thinking a nice dark metallic blue. Whatever the color dark blue the modern GT's are (Sonic blue maybe?). Along with the dark metallic blue, 2 bright white stripes down the middle. I think that paint combination is drop dead gorgeous. Ill also add on some modern looking mirrors instead of the chrome bullet ones. As far as rims go, I think Ill have them painted the same blue as the car. I've also been thinking of some kind of modern looking GT rims as well. If I go that route, I think light grey or chrome rims would look nice. I've got to figure that part out still but I've got plenty of time to think about it. As for the motor and tranny, I've been thinking a Ford 302 mated to a Renault UN1 trans axle. I might choose a larger motor though, but a 302 should fit my needs. To top it off being a ford guy, I'll slap a blue oval on the front and back. I plan on using the car for street use only as a show car and pleasure driver and hope to have my kit ordered by age 25. I should have enough by then. So what are your thoughts on my mentally put together GT40 guys?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Jon,

Sounds like a vey nice GT40 you have planned there...

I would suggest re-thinking the Renault gear box. There are plenty of porsche transmissions.. There are other solutions, but for my money, the Porsche was more plentiful and cost effective..

My car was a Delux Plus from RCR..

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
ThiI'm thinking a nice dark metallic blue. Whatever the color dark blue the modern GT's are (Sonic blue maybe?). Along with the dark metallic blue, 2 bright white stripes down the middle. I think that paint combination is drop dead gorgeous.

Not sure which blue you are thinking of but for what it's worth this is mine and I like color scheme quite a bit.

MKII%201.jpg

Not sure which blue you are thinking of but for what it's worth this is mine and I like color scheme quite a bit.

View attachment 60998

About that color but with a few inches wider white stripes like the modern GT at the top of this link. I want it exactly like this. http://www.d2autosport.com/D2_2006/06_Gallery/gallery_pages/gallery_lincoln.html I also found a replica almost exactly like what I want. Thats here http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...965_Ford_GT-40.jpg/1280px-1965_Ford_GT-40.jpg

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I'm thinking a nice dark metallic blue. Whatever the color dark blue the modern GT's are (Sonic blue maybe?)?

My '06 Ford GT was Midnight Blue Metallic (the "dark blue" to which you referred) w/white stripes. (Sonic Blue is a lighter color. Only one car was painted that color by Ford. If I remember correctly, it was done for one of the Ford execs.)

I think that paint combination is drop dead gorgeous.

Obviously I agree!

Be advised that this particular color is "chameleon" in character. Depending on the angle of, and the intensity of the light source, it can take on a very 'pearl' blue to purple look from panel to panel as the car moves...or as you walk around it. Whichever.

Jon, You seem to prefer the "new" look quite a bit. Would you be better off to purchase an '05/06 GT? I think the overall time and $ to build a replica of a '65 that looks modern may be pretty close to the cost of an '05/06 GT.

Jon, You seem to prefer the "new" look quite a bit. Would you be better off to purchase an '05/06 GT? I think the overall time and $ to build a replica of a '65 that looks modern may be pretty close to the cost of an '05/06 GT.

Yes I deeply enjoy the look of the modern GT's very much. Unfortunately though the new GT's are running at over $200k on ebay. It would take a large chunk of my life to save that up, even if they are a little cheaper at the time. I want my dream car while I'm young, not retired. I figured I could do a build of a '65 for around 60-70 grand. If I win the lottery or something, Ill take a modern GT over the replica any day.

Last edited:
Back