i bet it's been asked before: good audi transaxle

alright, my first post with previous research.:sweatdrop: i've been reading on here a lot about the audi transaxles, and i've become interested in the 01x and 01e. what i plan to do for my prototype car is drop in an audi v8 (most likely, an abz motor) and eventually convert it to twin turbo. if i've got the right information and the engine gods are shining down on me, it should make anywhere from 430 to 500 horsepower. another thing i'm interested in is speed, preferably well into the 200mph range. from what i understand, the 01x can definitely make for the speed, but not take the power, and the 01e can take the power, but isn't geared for that kind of speed. any other options for gearboxes that will bolt right up? i've also been looking around for audi and porsche ring gears that could possibly adjust the 01e gearing to suit my top speed desires as well as get a higher speed in first gear, but i've come up with nothing.

Eric, that's a lot of horsepower for any of the audi transaxles to handle. The porsche G50/930 boxes or a ZF/RBT would be better suited although with proper preparation you can probably make one of the audi boxes last OK so long as you skip the drop clutch starts. Perhaps add an oil cooler if you plan on doing extended high speed runs.

Incidentally, one of the audi 016 boxes is geared for 200+ mph - the 3U coded box is good for about 205mph with 26.6 rear wheels. Seems like the 3U is a european-only box.

Also incidentally, there's a thread from a few months ago regarding high speed (ie. 200mph) runs and how to prepare for the craziness of such high speeds. Be careful.

Attachments

• Audi Gear Ratios.xls
    73 KB · Views: 289
thanks for the ratios chart. that certainly helps with my search for ratios of different boxes. i'd much rather find a used box and rebuild it myself with the oil cooler and other goods to take the power, though i might call up Scott at Advanced Automotion to see what the ratios in his 01e boxes are.

you can understand the appeal of the audi boxes when using an audi engine, especially when considering how hard a g50 is to find and how expensive they are.

Eric, an audi o1e gearbox the letters FRK, DQS are a couple of boxes that will give you well over 200mph.Jerry Janzing of Allpro cars has some for sale 502 396 0672.
cheers Ali

if you look at the video carefully, that almost looks like a quattro box. it looks like there's an output shaft on the back. it'd be a lot easier to get a quattro gearbox, but i'm afraid it'd be too long and hit the rear bumper. my current chassis model with a very roughly modeled g50 has about 2 inches between the bumper and the back of the gearbox.

finally decided. after careful re-reading of the 01E thread and a message to Scott Dewitt, i've decided that the wide-ratio 01E box he provides will very much suit my needs. for the early prototype car though, i'll use an audi 5000 gearbox just go get it around since i don't yet need it to go 200mph, nor do i think the body panels will have been tested enough to safely do that. one of many things to cross off the "to be researched" list.:thumbsup:

Back