I took the plunge

Nice one, I've seen this car at a couple of shows, the previous owner used to put a rope around it.
Looks very nicely done. Will you be keeping that nice yellow steering wheel? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Was it ENORMOUSLY expensive?

I'll keep the yellow wheel for the time being although I think all black would suit it better.
Expensive ? yes ! I dont mind saying but I will need to ask David , the previous owner if he would mind me disclosing the price. If David reads this board, thank you allowing me to be the new custodian of such a magnificently built car.
Thank you for providing the link to Press article.

Patrick:

What a showpiece!!!

We want to here about the first 100 mile adventure. When is it scheduled.

Regards, Buzz

IIRC wasn't this car on the GT40 enthusiasts stand at the NEC show a couple of years ago?

I remember marvelling at the detail then! Congratulations on the purchase!!

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hello Patrick !!
Very nice car indeed. With all the attention to detail done on this car, I am suprised that no one noticed the steering wheel is on the WRONG side of the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Enjoy your new ride as it is truely beautiful.
Regards Brian

<font color="blue"> </font> R&amp;R! No doubt you will have a lot of fun coming up! Can you enlighten a newbie on the specs?

Ron Earp

Admin
Very nice car! And close to what I want to do for a paint scheme. I like the yellow! IHMO you should black out the lights and the door insides as per 1025, which, again IMHO, is on of the best looking GT40s around.

[ QUOTE ]
What aircraft is that above, I do not recognizse it and I'm good with aircraft!

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like a Saab J29 Tunnan, AKA the "Flying Barrel."

Ron Earp

Admin
Ah! If I remember right I think that is the one they hack developed right after WWII when they got information about German jet aircraft. Was a Wings show about it I think. Okay, back on topic now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What aircraft is that above, I do not recognizse it and I'm good with aircraft!

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like a Saab J29 Tunnan, AKA the "Flying Barrel."

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, the photo is distorted thanks to the format, it (the plane) is a lot longer when projected properly. The aircraft is a SAAB 32 Lansen (the Lance, in service from 1955 to 1997).

If you chaps are referring to the aircraft pictured behind the car in the Press article, I think it is a Victor tanker developed from the one the V bombers; Victor , Vulcan and one other I can't recall, which would have been used in the event of a nucleur war . see http://www.classic-aircraft.oldclassiccar.co.uk/photo_handley_page_victor_k2_tanker_close_up.htm. and
http://www.classic-aircraft.oldclassiccar.co.uk/photo_handley_page_victor_k2.htm

I have chance to do about 10 miles in the car and the only word that springs to mind is AWESOME. The power delivery and huge amounts of torque available are phenomel (sp). The g/change is a cable setup and seems a bit vague but I was getting used to it after 10 miles.
regards
Patrick

Disregard my comments on the Victor/ Saab... I finally clicked you were talking about the small aircraft on the profile pic. My mind is on other things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
regards
Patrick

Back