Ideas for Completing the Rear Undertray

Hi all,

I have posted here to get a few ideas from GT40 builders and general lovers of the GT40.

I am now at the end of the re build of the GT40 and considering some way of dressing up the rear end area.

:idea:

The MK11 rear photos I have looked at have a triangulated frame under the rear clip and this fills the rear section. However with the MK1 body - my GT40 - the rear section leaves me with a number of options.

I have considered just running an aluminium tray from the rear clip edge down to the back of the trans axle.

I have also seen trays used that have splitters on the MK1.

Have any of you used a tray under the rear clip. What have you done. Have you seen any good ideas?.

Thanks I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do here.

Any photos or ideas would be great.

Cheers

Bernie

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Re: Any ideas GT40 lovers!!!

My RCR uses an aluminum panel

IMG_1111.jpg

I like the rear aluminum tray on the RCR, and have been wondering if anyone makes diffusers or splitters for the panel. Anyone making them?

Bernie, if you do use a aluminum tray ala RCR, you can mount a couple SPAL pusher fans in it to take some heat out of the engine bay - can be really helpful in a hot climate.

And, if you're interested in an internal mod in the rear area, you could always fab up a couple insulated LeMans-style storage bins. They look pretty cool and vintage!

Bernie, hopefully Bobski may be reading this I had a good look at his RF at the Cobra Nationals the other week, he has a nice rear defuser on his car maybe he will post a pick. I ment to take my camera but I left it safely at home as usual.

Darrell
DRB#46
LS1 G50

Thanks guys for the input.

DAZPT.

Yes I saw the GT40 over in the garage area. I have a photo of the tray but as the rear clip was up I could not see how he finished the tray from the back.

I have considered making up a panel that has two splitters each side in heavier aluminium.

I think I will make it up in cardboard first and just experiment - but I do not want it starting to look like late model aero race car style..:idea:

Again thanks for the input.

Bernie

Randy

Thanks for posting the photo. I will get over onto Frans site and see if he has any photos over there.

I was sorry I missed Fran at the Australian Cobra Nationals recently. He had to head home a little earlier than expected.

Cheers

Bernie

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I found more pics for you Bernie;

IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1939.jpg

You should look over Eglitom's build thread. He made a really nice framework for his in the rear..

Hey Bernie,
Here's a photo of the rear of the car, (that's all I can find at the moment) it's not the best shot and I'll take some shots tomorrow during the day.
The diffuser was designed using a program (?) that helps design airflow around the car and undercarrige. My mechanic got one of his mates to design it and we made it fit. The two outer trays are angled at 8.5 degrees I think and the middle one is angled at 14 degrees. It dresses the rear of the car nicely and going by the program possibly provide some downforce.
I'll post some more pics tomorrow.

Bob

Attachments

• back shot.jpg
    back shot.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 456
Thanks again for the Posts guys...:idea:..good ideas to play with

Bobski, yes that is what I have been considering. As Todd has said keeping it simple.

However, I find that following Todd in the GT40, I keep thinking it needs something to fill the area either side of the trans axle - my opinion anyway..:idea:

I will keep experimenting with the cardboard templates to see what looks best and keeps it within the 60's look.

Bobski

Just sent you a PM.

I have made up two cardboard trays and will see how they look. After some changes/fitting I will get them made at the aluminium shop.

Will trial fit and see how they look in cardboard first - next week when home.

Cheers

Hey Bernie,
I have received your PM and I can still email you some more info or photos if you require.
I needed to take the rear panel off to get to the gearbox as I was left stranded on the weekend because some lazy bum decided to install a pin in the selector shaft which was too short and it snaped. Luckely it wasn't too deep inside the gearbox and was fixed without removing the box from the car. The good thing is, it's all fixed and gave me a good oportunity to take some shots of the rear diffuser.

Attachments

• diffuser2.jpg
    diffuser2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 355
  • diffuser3.jpg
    diffuser3.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 345
  • diffuser4.jpg
    diffuser4.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 319
  • diffuser1.jpg
    diffuser1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 284
Thanks for showing me the tray.

What does it look like once fitted to your car from the rear?

:idea:...

This is the direction I was heading, but I was doing two individual trays - may do as you have done.

Back