If you really want one

Not surprised to see Ford dealers engaged in price gouging at this stage of the game, but $185 - $220k for a Ford? Cripes...you can buy a new Viper, an New M5 and have enough left over for a GT40 kit for that kind of money. Some people paid close to $100k for 2000 Cobra Rs when they came out, and they can now be had for less than $40k ($57k list).

Maybe I can afford a used one in about ten years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mark

It will be interesting to see how well the new GTs hold their value. If Ford truly holds production down to 4500,
my forecast is that they will hold their value quite well.
I don't think you'll see the kind of depreciation some
other exotics exhibited after they "aged".

MikeD

IMHO
Production cars are Production cars. All production cars fall. Ferrari's, Lambo's, Aston's, Jag's, Porsche's. 4500 is a lot compared to 399 Enzo's. This car is a "living ledgend" It's not a GT40.

Mike, I agree that the Ford GT will hold its value relatively well, but it will still depreciate. Remember, Ford only built 300 of the 2000 Cobra Rs and, like I said, they can be had for $50,000 less than what people paid only three years ago. I expect I'll be able to say the same thing about the Ford GT in a few years.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I say again, <font color="red">THERE IS NO DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM ANNOUNCED FOR THE FORD GT!!!....YET </font> Therefor you may be "guaranteed delivery spot #3 at a dealer who will only get 2 cars or even none at all! I highly doubt that Bill Ford has told this dealer how many he will get. As I understand the first years production will be under 1000 units and as with the Thunderbird no dealer will get a second car until the qualified dealers all have received a car.

Pay a refundible deposit, fine-Pay a "premium" to someone who has "an order in with XYZ dealer"....I don't think so!

Will dealers be greedy, sure! One dealer I know has no intentions of selling his first car, if he even GETS a car and he is a good sized dealer, he wants it for himself. I would imagine it will take a goodly sum to change his mind.

Keep your eyes open and use your head and you are unlikely to get boned.

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Jim

I believe Chrysler has passed 10,000 Vipers made.
But my experience is the average sell price of NICE used Vipers remains very strong compared to their original cost.

I know the Viper is significantly less $$$ than the new GT,
but I'm thinking 4500 cars is a lot less than 10,000 cars,
and I'm thinking the GT40's history will count for a lot.

So Mark, IMHO don't hold your breath on getting a "used" Ford GT for under $ 100k anytime soon...if ever.
If I'm wrong, I'll buy you a beer after you can take me for
a ride in your GT!

MikeD

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
There is some new video on the GT 40 on MSN. The link should be here : new video

There is also other interesting video there also.
I don't think I'll be sending anybody a premium deposit anytime soon either.
Brian

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
No American manufacturer has ever tried anything like this, so it remains to be seen what these cars will be worth in a year or two. Lots has to do with how well they are made and whether or not lots of bugs and returns surface as soon as they are out there...
If you look at Ferrari's supercars (288, F40, F50, Enzoid), they've all held their value well. I think beginning with the F50, Ferrari held onto a lot of control about the sales etc trying to avoid speculation in them. Rumor has it that some folks were kicked off the Enzo list after being caught trying to play games with their spot..I don't know if it's true.
I'd still rather have the original or a good copy of it.

Guess it depends upon your intended usage.
Value difference aside ($$$) I could not see myself racking up lots of mileage on an original car...not comfortable enough (sorry...I've become a wuss). I'd have no problem
racking up lot's of miles in a new GT with more room, better ride, creature comforts, and replaceable if stolen/smashed. For vintage racing, the story would be different. But that's just me. I'm sure others are
tougher and can better cope with the faults of an original.

MikeD

Back