I'll be darned...

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Just imagine being able to buy one's favorite "kit car" as a turn-key!

Transportation bill unlocks new American car industry | Fox News

But, since cars like the SL-C aren't "replicas", I assume that means they'll have to continue to be sold as "rollers"?

"One hitch is that the replicas do have to adhere to current emissions standards. Right now, the only cost-effective way to do that is to use an emissions-certified drivetrain package from a major manufacturer..."

...which means the cars can't actually BE true "replicas" then, doesn't it.

Leave it to D.C. to throw a wrench into anything it touches...

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Finally.

My take on the emission stance is that the date of manufacture must match up with the date of emissions standards, which should be applicable to an current-manufactured equipment. It noted GM, but I would think any approved OEM engine/emissions system would work.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
My take on the emission stance is that the date of manufacture must match up with the date of emissions standards, which should be applicable to an current-manufactured equipment..

Obviously the gov't does as well. But, that totally 'screws' anyone wanting to commission a TRUE "replica"...and that's a darned shame...especially given the meager number of miles any such car would likely be driven annually. Any 'excessive emissions' it might produce wouldn't amount to 'spit'. In fact, the 'emissions' produced by an entire fleet of such cars per year would be less that what Air Force One emits each time it taxis onto a runway.

Back