inlet manifold leaking water

I have 48 IDA's and the inlet manifold has started to leak water at the rear left hand side where it meets the head, it looks as if the gasket (Fel Pro) has moved, the bolts are torqued correctly, can anyone help as to what's going on?

If these are the Fel Pro gaskets with the blue silicon bead they can be a pain in the bum.
The bead can actually cut into the gasket and either split it or allow it to move.
Depending on the heads /manifold you have and the gasket number there is a potential mis match of the water passages. Some later heads have a much larger passage than the earlier spec ones and depending on the gasket used you can get a seepage because the gasket doesn't cover the outlet properly.

Mike

Thanks Mike, the heads are Edelbrock RPM and they've been on the car since 2006, gaskets as far as I can remember were the blue coloured Fel Pro ones in fact I can see a bit of the nearside one looking like it's been squashed out between manifold and head, it's as if something's moved,very odd.

The manifold came with the carbs from WeberCarbs.com at the same time, I've had no problems at all with them apart from the obvious tuning to engine which is a 347.

I've just pressure tested the cooling system and it holds up OK at 13lbs but that's with the engine cold, but it's obviously been leaking at some stage.

Which gaskets would you recommend?

Personally, the only way I can get the inlet manifold to be completely dry and tight is to crack off the head bolts as the manifold is being torqued down. Tighten everything up together and it all seems to fit together more precisely. That's just my experience.

Back