Interior sill edges, trim and IVA

Its been pointed out that if I make the sill top in one panel and butt it to the inner sill side that it will fail IVA for being too sharp an edge on the corner.

Obviously if I carpet the interior that wont be an issue but I'm tending towards having it bare which causes an issue.

I don't really want to make it one panel with a fold as I wanted to make the sill tops in thicker aluminium due to sitting on it etc.

So I think either have to have some kind of rubber trim strip or fold the sill top over. Does anyone have any suggestions for trim? I've searched but all I can seem to find is end trim or flat ('H') joining trim, nothing for right angles.

How have others done the sills, any close ups of them where people have left the interior un-carpeted?

Its been pointed out that if I make the sill top in one panel and butt it to the inner sill side that it will fail IVA for being too sharp an edge on the corner.

Obviously if I carpet the interior that wont be an issue but I'm tending towards having it bare which causes an issue.

I don't really want to make it one panel with a fold as I wanted to make the sill tops in thicker aluminium due to sitting on it etc.

So I think either have to have some kind of rubber trim strip or fold the sill top over. Does anyone have any suggestions for trim? I've searched but all I can seem to find is end trim or flat ('H') joining trim, nothing for right angles.

How have others done the sills, any close ups of them where people have left the interior un-carpeted?

Hi David
panel would need 2.5mm or greater round edge for IVA, if you used 3mm/4mm top panel you could round edge for IVA, would help with any dents also, Andy :idea:

Hi David,
I’ve rolled the top of the vertical panel onto the top of the sill panel. This has given it a nice external bend radius (R3/4mm) which will meet the IVA requirements.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
P><P><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=3><A href=
http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=3#21

Regards<o:p></o:p>
Andy<o:p></o:p>

Attachments

• P8191695aa.jpg
    P8191695aa.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 318
Thanks all.

I'd considered thicker aluminium but figured it would make getting the ribs pressed trickier.
I'd looked at baines but hadn't seen anything that stood out as being what I needed, I was thinking of using it as is though, not of flattening it out!

I think I'll extend the inners up and roll them over the same as Andy. I can always trim it back and add strip later or use something over the top if needed. I can now stop planning and go back to building again! :)

Hold fire David, I will take a picture tommorrow of what I have done to the cill edges.
You can fit a trim about 25mm by 10mm and this in my opinion really smartens the edges and a nice radius.
Even if you dont trim any other edges one cill can be done using about a 1 mtr length. It polishes up nice as well.
I will Post a picture ASAP

Not a good shot but shows passenger cill trimmed
will take a better shot later

Attachments

• web aug 30 (16.jpg
    web aug 30 (16.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 340
That would certainly IMO be neater and easier. While I can fold over the edge I'm not sure how neat I can make in in comparison to a trim strip.

Where did you get it from?

Trim is standard for ally supplier. Not had chance to be near the car today but will photo the trim showing the profile
SGT do it, but it's cheap, I think less than £ 20 for 6 mtrs can't be sure

there are pictures of this trim fitted on my build

Back