Interior Sunvisors

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi All
It appears the head official at the RTA in NSW who has the final say in the rego of ICV's has moved the goal posts again.

It appears that in his opinion all enclosed vehicles must be fitted with interior sun visors or else they will not be passed for rego.

In the ADR's it states sun visors "where fitted must be of an approved type"etc, it does not state they are compulsory and must be fitted.

I am currently waiting for my engineer to sort this one out before I can progress any further with the final fitout of the interior as I will have to glass in some mount points for the visors in the roof of the spider if I am forced to install these which I really don't want or need.

It seems these bureaucrats have nothing better to do other than play god with the rules and make life as difficult as possible.

Lets hope this can be sorted out with some sanity.

Dimi

I've absolutely got the Sh*ts with the authorities in NSW and their constant over-regulation, inconsistent application of rules, failure to allocate funds to any decent through roads and ring roads, constant negative campaigns (this holiday weekend is double demerit points) and so on. Ooops, sorry for the grumble. I feel a little better now. But sympathise with Dimi. Are there any legal guys in the group (Forum) who could take on some of these humbug bureaucrats? It definitely doesn't state in our rules that visors are required. However, some statute is obviously giving the chief RTA guy discretionary powers to insist on anything he thinks of. Stick with it Dimi, put them in for now, and get past the b*st*rds.

Dalton

I just got out of a three month fight with the RTA in particular the IM240 test. The rules state that for a car to be registered in NSW in must meet the current emission requirements which is ADR79/01. Once we got close to passing, the RTA moved the gole posts and told me that I must pass 1/2 of the emissions of three years ago which is half of ADR79/00. We ended passing half of 79/00 and when I presented the results to Harry (chief) he told me that all I had to pass was 79/01 and that he was going to have words with the other person involved. So Dimi, it depends on who you talk to and what day it is. Good luck and stick with it.

Hi Dimi,

FYI - similar rules in SA regarding sunvisors, although they dont seem to monitor it as actively as in NSW.

Im going with Mazda MX5 Series 1 sunvisors. These are neat little visors which fold in half, which is quite useful with the low headroom in the GT40.

Good luck

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Dimi, I had a similar issue with rego, but Trevor took the RTA to task & they ageed that you didn't need visors. But, if you had them, they had to be ADR compliant (soft padded, blah, blah). The joke is that at the time, my wife had an Astra convertible - its visors were hard plastic & would act like a knife in a prang !! One rule for the big guts, one for us !!

Kind Regards

Peter D.

""In the ADR's it states sun visors "where fitted must be of an approved type"etc, it does not state they are compulsory and must be fitted.""

I would read that as, if they came from the factory fitted, then they are to be used, if they are not fitted as original equipment, then they dont need to be.
Did the original GT40 have sunvisors?

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Unfortunately tinted or banded windscreens do not meet his requirements.
There must be a physical interior sunvisor to make him happy.

An absolute load of horse dung IMHO but who are we to question the almighty.

The pen is mightier than the sword and he holds the pen but hopefully he might trip and fall on the sword.

We can only live in hope

Dimi

Howard Jones

Supporter
Have a look a Miata sunvisors. They are small and they fold in half vertically. They are presently a, in-production, OEM part and I would think legal.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
I finally decided that I can't be bothered fighting so instead of waiting for a decision I am going to fit interior sunvisors.

As I couldn't find anything that I consider suitable I am going to make my own in a size and shape to suit the car.

To remain legal I am using sunvisors from an 88 Subaru as the basis due to these having the required fittings and being extremely easy to rework in size and shape.

They will then be recovered in leather to match the upholstery and the new size and shape will fit into the car and be relatively unobtrusive but also be functional if required.

I will post photos of the mods in a day or so.

Dimi

Back