Introducing SPF Chassis 2280

Superformance chassis GT40 P 2280 was conceived as a FIA qualifying car from the start. The base idea was to copy a 1968 chassis and complete car to the full specifications set out in the original homologation including the extensions (and using chassis 1075 as an example) to obtain FIA Historic Passport papers for European and International racing. It was not an easy process and took nearly 2 years to complete.
For a 1968 version, we have been able to include a 302 engine, ventilated discs, 14 inch rims on the rear with appropriate bodywork modifications. The car is specifically built for hill climbing with very short ratios on the ZF box.
The result has been a qualifying car (FIA 34354) that also can be used for road use (yes -registered in France for everyday use) and rallies. It FIA Class is TSRC 18.
The new French owner has been the Historic Hill Climb Champion more than once in the past years – a Porsche man – and wanted to move up to 5 liters as a swan song to a long and happily successful career.

Attachments

• 3qrt Front.JPG
    3qrt Front.JPG
    380.4 KB · Views: 760
  • 3qrt Rear.JPG
    3qrt Rear.JPG
    406.2 KB · Views: 706
  • DSC_0040.JPG
    DSC_0040.JPG
    415.5 KB · Views: 781
  • DSC_0077.JPG
    DSC_0077.JPG
    418.9 KB · Views: 1,624
tires don't look big enough ;)

What is the blue tank on the back? Also, looks like dual rear clamshell hold downs as opposed to the usual SPF single. Was that a modification or did it come that way from the factory?

Kevin

;)
What is the blue tank on the back?
Kevin

Looks like an oil overflow tank to me. Doesn't look big enough for a dry sump and I only see 1 line to it. Obviously a lot of custom mods here. Not many replicas with u joints and donuts! Nicely done.

tires don't look big enough ;)

What is the blue tank on the back? Also, looks like dual rear clamshell hold downs as opposed to the usual SPF single. Was that a modification or did it come that way from the factory?

Kevin

I too, am interested in the dual clamshell holddowns. Specificially where the bracketry was sourced, if not through SPF.

I will do the same in the future, when other modificationis are done that require a repaint.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
That is a beautifuly done car! I love the Ford of France colors.

I have a couple of quick thoughts

(1) This is P-2280, I'm assuming it is new. I purchased P-2264 in May of 2008. Have they only sold 16 GT40s in the last four year?

(2) They have done a fabulous job replicating the early cars and it sounds like they have an FIA#. But if I look real close, is that a thick vented disk brake I see on the right rear? Is the FIA ok with that?

(2) They have done a fabulous job replicating the early cars and it sounds like they have an FIA#. But if I look real close, is that a thick vented disk brake I see on the right rear? Is the FIA ok with that?

Remember, the Gulf-spec cars came with much better brakes than the early "FIA" cars--they had four-piston calipers and thick vented rotors. He mentioned that the car is built to '68 specs including the vented rotors, in the original post.

Fantastic car! :thumbsup:

Thanks guys for all the nice comments!

Kevin – we supplied the car with two sets of wheels – the original SPF 8 x 15 and 10 x 15 for road use and an alloy set 10 x 15 and 14 x 15 for racing!. Attached photo of the “big boots” on the rear – note Avon race treads per FIA regulations.
The Clamshell hold down fittings are original SPF.
The small blue tank is an oil catch tank required by the FIA regulations – basically it is plumbed to the rocker covers to collect engine oil vapour.

Jim – the original order was in January 2010 – not sure how many SPF have been built since then. On the discs, ventilated Girlings are allowed for a 1968 specification – they just fit inside the hubs!

The rear roll bar also had to be changed - see photo

Attachments

• DSC_0234.JPG
    DSC_0234.JPG
    384.7 KB · Views: 576
  • DSC_0075.JPG
    DSC_0075.JPG
    415.4 KB · Views: 598
  • DSCN9536.JPG
    DSCN9536.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 596
Here are some more photos - inside the car is sparce - pure racing!

Attachments

• DSC_0082.JPG
    DSC_0082.JPG
    467.1 KB · Views: 511
  • DSC_0080.JPG
    DSC_0080.JPG
    488 KB · Views: 540
  • Inside.JPG
    Inside.JPG
    380.7 KB · Views: 578
Jim - yes Weber setup but no thermostat in the water system - just blank off the radiator as necessary.

On the FIA question, one MUST follow the original car specification - so RHD and gear lever on the right of the driver. This was the only system used during period 65-69.

Remember with FIA Historic Technical Passport, the car qualifies and can be raced as an original in all historic events.

Back