Is it worth putting in a 427 side oiler?

Keep in mind the 40 was designed for the small block motor, lighter, cooler, sounds better and won’t blister your paint.
which 40 are you refuring to? The Lola GT mk6? Or anything between the Lola and the GT40 mk5?
GT40s won races with the big block FE where the small block 289 all failed.
It was a FIA decision to end the big cubic inches to a 302 max where Ford desided to sell the program to JWA. Where JWA went on with the 917s to win some more races.

Thanks for all the input. I decided to go with a Dart 302 stroked to 363 and keep the 427 s/o on the shelf for now. Life and other cars have gotten in the way this winter but wrapping one up now and hope to get cracking on the 40 next month. Now I just need to locate a bundle of snakes and good paint job in the tri-state area!

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Pat, I also have a Dart 302/363 (Prestige). I haven’t installed it yet so I am hoping to hear good things about your experience.

I should be receiving an RCR bundle of snakes by the end of the month (along with the rest of the car). I will post here how well it fits. Cheers, Randy

Pat, I also have a Dart 302/363 (Prestige). I haven’t installed it yet so I am hoping to hear good things about your experience.

I should be receiving an RCR bundle of snakes by the end of the month (along with the rest of the car). I will post here how well it fits. Cheers, Randy
I also got mine from Prestige. Did you go with AFR heads? I have to call soon to order bundle of snakes from RCR. Hoping to hear that your fit well.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I also got mine from Prestige. Did you go with AFR heads? I have to call soon to order bundle of snakes from RCR. Hoping to hear that your fit well.
I did get the AFR heads. When I bought it last August, I was a bit wary about spending the money for the Borla EFI ITB setup and so settled for a 750 CFM Quick Fuel four-barrel sitting on a Victor Junior. It also came with the larger MSD distributor. It dynoed at 533 HP.

Well now all that is going on a shelf because I plan to upgrade to the Borla. I just couldn’t stand the thought of looking down through the back window and not seeing those eight throttle bodies looking back :)

My car is just about ready to ship. Just waiting for the body shop to mount the flares.
IMG_2020.jpeg

IMG_2021.jpeg

Neil

Supporter
I did get the AFR heads. When I bought it last August, I was a bit wary about spending the money for the Borla EFI ITB setup and so settled for a 750 CFM Quick Fuel four-barrel sitting on a Victor Junior. It also came with the larger MSD distributor. It dynoed at 533 HP.

Well now all that is going on a shelf because I plan to upgrade to the Borla. I just couldn’t stand the thought of looking down through the back window and not seeing those eight throttle bodies looking back :)

My car is just about ready to ship. Just waiting for the body shop to mount the flares.
View attachment 138442

View attachment 138443
I hope you don't regret replacing the Quick Fuel 750 CFM four barrel. Some I have known have regretted going to EFI and spending hours with a laptop getting it to run well. I run an 850 CFM Proform race series four barrel with mechanical secondaries on my race car and it is one less thing to fiddle with.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I hope you don't regret replacing the Quick Fuel 750 CFM four barrel. Some I have known have regretted going to EFI and spending hours with a laptop getting it to run well. I run an 850 CFM Proform race series four barrel with mechanical secondaries on my race car and it is one less thing to fiddle with.
Randy, I will be keeping the carb and intake manifold just in case. That being said, Prestige has a tune that they know works on my engine/cam and the cost of the system includes a remote tuning session. I am also fortunate to have a local friend that loves to work with EFI systems. I hope I don’t regret it as it is not inexpensive. Cheers, Randy

Neil

Supporter
Randy, I will be keeping the carb and intake manifold just in case. That being said, Prestige has a tune that they know works on my engine/cam and the cost of the system includes a remote tuning session. I am also fortunate to have a local friend that loves to work with EFI systems. I hope I don’t regret it as it is not inexpensive. Cheers, Randy
I hope it works out for you.

ERA put a 427 motor in their roadster 40.
I built my #076 ERA 427 Cobra in the early 80's with an FE block, solid lifters and a Top Loader 4 sp.. That combo was pretty much bullet proof (at least I never broke any parts) for the streets, no need to tip toe around with a ZF.

Back