Is the right to bear arms outdated.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jim C and Jeff, what do you want? What is your end game? I would like to know what you consider a 'complete victory'.

This is not a competition, there is no "victory", I just want the slaughter to stop!

If there were no mass murders, there would be no outcry!

If you want to keep your guns, you better come up with a way to stop the killing or others will!

Last edited:

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Jim C and Jeff, what do you want? What is your end game? I would like to know what you consider a 'complete victory'.

I want gun death rates far more on par with the rest of the civilized world. THe question is how to get there without completely taking away the right to own a gun.

We have ABC stores for liquor in a lot of states, perhaps the Government should control all sales of weapons. If you have one, you keep it registered, locked up and unloaded when not in use. Open carry only. All types of firearms may be owned except fully automatic. All sales via the government, no private sales of guns. All gun owners must pass pyschiatric evaluation every few years, and go through a yearly recertification process on safety etc. -- like pilots and race car drivers.

Jeff,

I'm going to put this as polite as possible....

And you trust the government??? Every program/agency they run is so phucked up and flawed. Look how corrupt Congress is... They just nominated Mikulski for chair of the Intelligence committee, yet she doesn't know her rear end from a hole in the ground.

Half of congress and half of the agencies are mentally unstable...

I agree that unfit persons should not have firearms. Unfit persons should not be driving, but yet how many times are bad drivers causing injuries, deaths and property damage in innocents. I have been run off the road so many times from reckless drivers that I am frazzled by the time I get to work. Reckless drivers speeding and crossing the centerline. Please help fix that issue.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Half of congress and half of the agencies are mentally unstable...

Actually, just a little more than half, of Congress is unstable, they call them Conservatives:)

Sorry, you made it too easy....................................its a joke!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
And just curious,... How do you plan on getting criminals from obeying these new laws since the Don't obey current laws?

Dan, this is really more your problem, if you can't find a way, to stop the slaughter, others will!

It will be interesting to hear what the NRA says today, will they talk solutions, or just more rhetoric?

I'm guessing just more rhetoric.

Last edited:

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
I am not trying to get "criminals to obey laws." I'm trying to reduce the number of guns in circulation and track those that are. Like in other countries. That have far far lower gun death rates.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Quote "Your society is populated by an unknown number of genuine monsters".

Is this the truth? Has the USA really gone this far? Is the prison population as overcrowded as it is here in the UK? Here in the UK, a person with such major issues can be "Sectioned" under our Mental Health Act and locked away in a secure hospital. Elderly people with dementia often are locked away for both theirs and the populations wellbeing and after the violent phase is over and they are no longer a threat the "Sectioned" is removed again). Do you have a similar law? For that is what it is - a Law.
This comment today (NRA? above ) is quite alarming and will probably do untold damage to various industry and tourism.

Quote "Your society is populated by an unknown number of genuine monsters".

Is this the truth? Has the USA really gone this far? Is the prison population as overcrowded as it is here in the UK? Here in the UK, a person with such major issues can be "Sectioned" under our Mental Health Act and locked away in a secure hospital. Elderly people with dementia often are locked away for both theirs and the populations wellbeing and after the violent phase is over and they are no longer a threat the "Sectioned" is removed again). Do you have a similar law? For that is what it is - a Law.
This comment today (NRA? above ) is quite alarming and will probably do untold damage to various industry and tourism.

Our judicial/ prison system is a revolving door system... There was a great tv program done by National Geographic (not exactly a conservative org) that reported on Pelican Bay State Prison in California. They segregate the really evil convicts from the general population of the prison, and yet there is still communication between the two AND the gang leaders who are separated still run their outside organizations from inside the prison.

What's wrong with that picture??

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Sorry, Danimal. I don't think you are addressing the statement made by your / the NRA spokesman today. What does revolving door prisons and mafia style bosses have to do with the problem?
In the light of the recent tragic slaughters of your youngest schoolchildren, you and anyone else must turn round and say stop stop stop.
If you feel like carrying guns without a valid reason then so be it but you are going to be imprisoned for a long long time.
I think that will become enshrined in law and probably as an addendum to your 2nd amendment .

The rest of the world is watching what happens -believe me.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...perhaps the Government should control all sales of weapons.

:shocked: Perhaps you should think that one over just a bit more!

If you have one, you keep it registered, locked up and unloaded when not in use.

I can think of nothing more useless in a home defense situation (or any other defense situation) than a gun that's unloaded and locked up in a safe.

Registered? It's none of the govt's business whether I own guns or not.

...Open carry only.

:D Nothing would make customers of the local Seven Eleven more comfy than to see someone walk into the store packin' a .45! And I would imagine there's nothing that could spark a confrontation with some intoxicated, 'macho', Rambo loon any quicker either! ("Hey, Sheriff Tex! Whatcha gunna do with that gun? 'You think you're a tough guy er sumpthin'? Huh? Pull that gun on me why dontcha? Huh? Let's see what happens, tough guy"...blah, blah, blaaaaah. Noooooooo thankum you.)

All types of firearms may be owned except fully automatic.

...which ensures only criminals will have full autos.

All sales via the government, no private sales of guns. All gun owners must pass pyschiatric evaluation every few years, and go through a yearly recertification process...

You don't see where there could be abuses of power that would result in the loss of everyone's Second Amendment rights by going that route???

Jeff, The Founders added the Second Amendment to ensure that the people had the means to resist/prevent armed tyranny by the govt! Do a little research on that topic. You'll see that was their motivation.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence...The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference; they deserve a place with all that's good. When firearms go, all goes; we need them every hour."

-- George Washington

I'm really not trying to pick on you, sir. 'Just trying to point out some of the individual trees that make up the whole forest...so to speak.

I can see that I'm going to have to 'walk away' from this thread for a while! Probably quite a while! It's either that, or stay and develop the civilian equivalent of PTSD!:D

A Very Merry Christmas and a Happy, HEALTHY, and Prosperous New Year to you all! :2thumbsup:

Larry

David,

What I am saying is, yes there are monsters/ evil people out there. I'm also saying that our system that is easy on criminals needs to be a lot tougher on criminals. Removing criminals from society and preventing them running their gangs will reduce crime. Right now the early parole and reduced sentences and plea bargains with reduced charges against criminals is failing us. It is failing to keep violent people off the street, thereby not deterring others. There is a common saying with criminals "phuck it, if I get caught, so what? I get three hots and a cot and free a/c and color tv."

Let me ask you, how would you feel if your government was weak on criminals?

I've been saying that criminals ignore laws now and they will ignore more laws.

Now since the media is slanted, I'm willing to bet that most non-gun people had no idea that the NRA is the biggest trainer of law enforcement in the country.

I think Wayne made great points that sports stadiums have police, some public offices have police, our congressman have police, so why not the schools too.

I also think he did a great job of calling out the media for how irresponsible they are.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Our government is especially weak on criminals and is becoming more so. There is definitely a bias as well depending on ethnicity but that comment will no doubt rekindle certain comments by certain people ( but what the hell, it's definitely true because our judiciary -especially in London -is shit scared on being the catylist that starts more riots ).

I cannot agree or disagree about anything the NRA do -its your country and they are part of it. I simply say it again, everyone outside of the USA is watching what you all agree to do.

Armed Police in the schools does not do it for me and probably doesn't do it for a lot more like me.

They have been talking about this press conference all week. Personally, I think they were wise to wait until all the facts came in before they said anything... unlike the general media which got so many things wrong early on.

They got it wrong? What a surprise.

Back