Is Wiki accurate?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

It is licensed to Hi Tech Automotive, the manufacturer who builds Superformance cars for which Pathfinder is one of the dealers. The GT40 "R" is available from all SPF dealers (which was not the case when first introduced).

Always keep in mind Wikipedia is written by "anyone" and therefor subject to Wally types of statements (such as X1 still exists as a complete chassis, etc.) It is a resource but should never be the ONLY resource relied upon.

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I'm in software and understand Wiki Rick. What I was curious about was the assertion made. It would be interesting to see who wrote that. Since you represent the company maybe you should edit the page and correct that misinformation? Thanks

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I'm in software and understand Wiki Rick. What I was curious about was the assertion made. It would be interesting to see who wrote that. Since you represent the company maybe you should edit the page and correct that misinformation? Thanks

I can barely post here, Wikipedia is not on my list of "to dos"......

Mike, I would be quite certain that Pathfinder Motorsports inserted that assertion into the wiki, and they should therefore make the correction if it is incorrect. On the other hand, it's quite possible the good fellows at Pathfinder do indeed have a direct license to the GT40 name and therefore no correction is needed. Who knows?

I do know that Pathfinder commercially labels their wonderful creations as "1966 GT40" and such, and I have pointed out that small detail inaccuracy in the past only to receive the full unpleasantness of the proprietor of Pathfinder for so doing. I don't understand this as they make absolutely wonderful cars so why not celebrate the uniqueness of that ability?

I think accuracy in the use of labels is important when dealing with items of historical or unique legacy, and the law in every country (except possibly China....) reflects this notion. It's the same with rare wristwatches - if someone was able to secure the a license to the name "Rolex Oyster" that's fine and good and all, but affixing that label does not, in fact, make it a Rolex Oyster no matter how perfect a replica it is......and causing confusion (usually intentionally) in the marketplace is not good for anyone.

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Ah, okay Rick lol.

It looks like Pathfinder even co designed the car Cliff. I wasn't aware of that. Learn something new every day I guess.

Pathfinder Motorsports

Sponsoring Vendor
Hi guys, it's been a while since I've posted on the board and it's nice to be back. And thanks to Rick for being such an able 'go to' guy on posts associated with Superformance.

Wikipedia has a number of folks who have helped to update the GT40 entry in their online encyclopedia. In the past, Pathfinder Motorsports LLC contributed clarifications and entries, as well as a photograph of one of our first GT40Rs.

In conjunction with Superformance, Pathfinder Motorsports negotiated the right to use the name 'GT40R' from the trademark holder, Safir GT40 Spares, Inc. For those interested, we also looked at 'GT40LM' and a few other names, but agreed upon adding the simple 'R' suffix to the car design that we spec'ed from the factory.

There were numerous modifications stipulated by Pathfinder (significantly the six-point rollcage that we designed) along with unique components added to create the 'R' – most with the intention of creating a race-capable version of the popular Superformance street GT40. Dennis Olthoff was very helpful with several of the design issues and Lance Stander shepherded the process with the factory from beginning to end. The result is a car that is now racing in the US, Europe, and Asia.

I just checked Wikipedia and can't find the OP's quote, but now you know the backstory.

As for Cliff's snarky remarks, we market and build our cars to reflect the build-year that the owner intends to race their GT40. For example, a 1965 GT40R continuation car races under Period F in FIA, while a 1966 races under Period G. It is obligatory that an FIA HTP car reflect the year the original model raced, as do several non-FIA vintage racing bodies overseas. At no time do we claim that our customer-specified, factory-built, continuation GT40s are somehow also 45-years old. (This is quite different from, say, registering a replica CAV GT40 and making the claim that it is a '1966 GT40', as Cliff has done. We have no problem with that, but it does reflect a measure of hypocrisy as Cliff continues this perennial and quixotic crusade.)

By the way, we have one of our latest GT40Rs completing HTP FIA certification in Europe very soon, and hope to report on its racing successes in the coming year!

Alan

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Alan for the post. I have looked at your site several times and haven't even seen anything stating the GT40R is a true 1960s model.

Be sure to check out our other affordable 1960’s-era race-eligible continuation cars for the track and street,

Seems to clearly indicate continuation?

I tried to be helpful on Wikipedia sign on etc. But after I updated the information ie chassis numbers and that the J car/MKIV are not GT40's. It would not let the information stay and deleted it.
I do not think its 100% accurate!
Regards Allan

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
It is licensed to Hi Tech Automotive, the manufacturer who builds Superformance cars for which Pathfinder is one of the dealers. The GT40 "R" is available from all SPF dealers (which was not the case when first introduced).

Always keep in mind Wikipedia is written by "anyone" and therefor subject to Wally types of statements (such as X1 still exists as a complete chassis, etc.) It is a resource but should never be the ONLY resource relied upon.

It isn't just the wikipedia article that is truth-challenged. Apparently some elements in FoMoCo have forgotten that they don't have the right to the name, and then go on to present yet another twisted and spun version of the history of the original.....

OVERVIEW: NEW FORD GT40 CONCEPT JOINS

Hi guys, it's been a while since I've posted on the board and it's nice to be back. And thanks to Rick for being such an able 'go to' guy on posts associated with Superformance.

Wikipedia has a number of folks who have helped to update the GT40 entry in their online encyclopedia. In the past, Pathfinder Motorsports LLC contributed clarifications and entries, as well as a photograph of one of our first GT40Rs.

In conjunction with Superformance, Pathfinder Motorsports negotiated the right to use the name 'GT40R' from the trademark holder, Safir GT40 Spares, Inc. For those interested, we also looked at 'GT40LM' and a few other names, but agreed upon adding the simple 'R' suffix to the car design that we spec'ed from the factory.

There were numerous modifications stipulated by Pathfinder (significantly the six-point rollcage that we designed) along with unique components added to create the 'R' – most with the intention of creating a race-capable version of the popular Superformance street GT40. Dennis Olthoff was very helpful with several of the design issues and Lance Stander shepherded the process with the factory from beginning to end. The result is a car that is now racing in the US, Europe, and Asia.

I just checked Wikipedia and can't find the OP's quote, but now you know the backstory.

As for Cliff's snarky remarks, we market and build our cars to reflect the build-year that the owner intends to race their GT40. For example, a 1965 GT40R continuation car races under Period F in FIA, while a 1966 races under Period G. It is obligatory that an FIA HTP car reflect the year the original model raced, as do several non-FIA vintage racing bodies overseas. At no time do we claim that our customer-specified, factory-built, continuation GT40s are somehow also 45-years old. (This is quite different from, say, registering a replica CAV GT40 and making the claim that it is a '1966 GT40', as Cliff has done. We have no problem with that, but it does reflect a measure of hypocrisy as Cliff continues this perennial and quixotic crusade.)

By the way, we have one of our latest GT40Rs completing HTP FIA certification in Europe very soon, and hope to report on its racing successes in the coming year!

Alan

Alan, my car is a 2006 CAV GT40. That's what it is, always will be, and nothing more or less than I have ever indicated in the past.

Are you drunk or something? Your comments are in error and rude. You should learn some manners.

Last edited:

Pathfinder Motorsports

Sponsoring Vendor
Alan, my car is a 2006 CAV GT40. That's what it is, always will be, and nothing more or less than I have ever indicated in the past.

Your comments are in error and rude. You should learn some manners.

Gosh, Cliff. That doesn't exactly square with what you've previously posted:

I've publicly indicated my car is registered as a 1966.

So where is the error? As for rudeness, I'll let others make that determination. However, if you'd like I will direct this thread to some more of your previous posts so that everyone can make an educated opinion.

Keep in mind Cliff that it was you who was banned previously from this website for your behavior. Not too many of us have that distinction. Do you really want to go down that path again?

Folks, I'm just trying to run a business, build the most authentic GT40 continuation racecars and street cars available on the planet, and always do right by my customers. For whatever reason Cliff seems intent on impugning both Pathfinder Motorsports' - and my - reputation. I'm not sure what his problem is, but it's this kind of nonsense that keeps a number of people in the business from posting on what is otherwise a fantastic board.

My apologies to everyone for this unpleasantness.

Alan

Pathfinder Motorsports

Sponsoring Vendor

Are you drunk or something? Your comments are in error and rude. You should learn some manners.

Cliff has now gone back and edited all but one of his previous posts. Sorry I didn't save them.

I'm also sorry that i missed his edited insert that I must be "drunk or something" when I quoted him in my previous post. More rudeness on my part I suppose.

Alan

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Alan (P): Apparently you too have picked up an ankle-biting detractor along the way; I know I have a few. If ignored they eventually get bored and run away to chase some other shiny object. I suggest you exercise some benign neglect.

Alan (W).

Pathfinder Motorsports

Sponsoring Vendor
Alan (P): Apparently you too have picked up an ankle-biting detractor along the way; I know I have a few. If ignored they eventually get bored and run away to chase some other shiny object. I suggest you exercise some benign neglect.

Alan (W).

Alan (W):

Yours is sound counsel, as usual. Were Cliff's insinuations directed at just me it would be a simple matter to ignore him. Unfortunately, I have a business to run and I can't afford to leave unchallenged posted remarks that imply fraudulent behavior on the part of Pathfinder Motorsports.

Everything I have is wrapped up in this company, and even if persons of questionable repute or an economy of sense or decency feel the need to disparage my company, I have a corresponding need to set the record strait. Probably a character flaw on my part and my apologies to those who have to bear witness to this silliness.

Thanks for the kind advice.

Alan (P)

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Alan (W):

Yours is sound counsel, as usual
Let's not get carried away now lol. That Alan after three years has still not managed to get his car on the road. More time in the garage and less time complaining on the internet might help you reach completion in this decade Al lol.

Cliff has now gone back and edited all but one of his previous posts. Sorry I didn't save them.

I'm also sorry that i missed his edited insert that I must be "drunk or something" when I quoted him in my previous post. More rudeness on my part I suppose.

Alan

Alan, it's simply a matter of fact. You describe your product as a "1966" GT40 which is it not. Being rude to me and lobbing strange attacks because I point out that small factual detail just makes you look weird.

Describing the car as a "1966" simply causes confusion. Accurate description of products is important in commerce, and the law reflects that notion.

Ask a guy like Ronnie Spain if descriptive labels are important in the world of GT40s. Everyone knows the answer to that.

Last edited:

Alan (W).

And your business and reputation has suffered thereby.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Alan, it's simply a matter of fact. You describe your product as a "1966" GT40 which is it not.

Describing the car as a "1966" simply causes confusion. Accurate description of products is important in commerce, and the law reflects that notion.
I'm curious where it is described as a 66?

Heading up to Steamboat to enjoy 4 feet of fresh champaign powder... have a great day guys.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
It isn't just the wikipedia article that is truth-challenged. Apparently some elements in FoMoCo have forgotten that they don't have the right to the name, and then go on to present yet another twisted and spun version of the history of the original.....

OVERVIEW: NEW FORD GT40 CONCEPT JOINS

That dates to 2002 before Ford became aware that they did not own the trademark. I have several pieces of PR items that Ford issued using the "GT40" descriptor. When the cold realization that they did not own "GT40" came upon Ford they changed all references to "Ford GT" after failing to negotiate a license to use the "GT40" moniker.

I have coasters, bumper stickers and more that use the new typeface from the "Ford GT" that are imprinted with "GT40" from the period before the changeover.

Another fun fact is when Shelby did interviews and claimed the cars were never "officially" called "GT40"....his comment "that was a name the press made up." Strange then that FAV cast "GT40" into most all of the castings and other parts...perhaps they were just supporting the Daily Mail!

Back