It has to be said....

and someone has to say it, MUCH AS IT MAY UPSET CERTAIN OTHERS.
QUOTE From Ingvar ref: http://www.gt40s.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/58077/an/0/page/0#58077
"I have tried before to get more information but nobody seems to know"

To be honest if I were given the tools this would be the one single thing I would change about the whole GT40 building experiance, and the one thing that needs to change.

And this is my gripe...

We need to improve.

While this site is a good resource it`s a pale shadow to some other very similar sites.

A couple of years in now, and now with a full understand of how things work within this comunity, that statement from Ingvar sadly so often sums it up.

If your not in the know, or know who to ask, your on your own.

I`d like to start this rant by sying that by no means is this a blanket statement, I`ve asked questions, as have others and got some top information from some very straight up people but too many times I`ve seen questions asked and watched the thread go cold knowing full well that the info is out there....

This is aimed at the people in this comunity that monitor and use this web site but have this strange idea that retaining information and only sharing with a select few gives tham a degree of kudos within the GT40 comunity.

There are a lot of people that use this site for personal referance to there own cars, or that are directly involved with GT40s through business that are always willing to offer advise within the relm of there own personal or profesional experiance, and these are the guys that have made what we have here.
Without these people we would have nothing...
These people stand out, we all know who they are and regardless of personal or business interest they have created this.
Stand up, take a bow guys... we owe you a beer.

As for the `in the know` individuals, it`s about time you stopped sitting on the fence, get involved or take your `oh so valuable knowedge` to your grave, your not helping, quite the opposite.

If your feeling a little uncomfortable reading this, them I`m probably taking to you, personaly the little info I can share I will, gladly, I know a little about engines, a little about transmssions, whatever, if I can offer something back I will, that makes the site
If you`ve ever read a question and knowing full well the answer, just thought "it`s OK, someone will tell him but I`m just too busy" then it`s you I have a problem with. Your the person milking this.
I`m told there is a degree of `history` and `politics` involved within certain divisions regarding the clubs and people involved here, and I`m sure this certainly carries some weight, in these individuals imagination.

This isn`t helping people build, improve or enjoy there cars and isn`t making this the comunity what it could or should be.

The change I would like to see is a full and open resorce to builders, on this very forum, not this culture of "if you talk to the right person you`ll get the info your after."

While I understand that companies currently selling kits/cars may wish to retain a degree of tech regarding there own product there is still a long way to go and a great deal we could do here.

If it helps and to get the ball rolling, I`ve a copy of the original KCC (South Africa) GT40 kit build manual that I`ll donate to the cause. I`ve also access to an old GTD chassis drawing, if we can ask the people that own the rights to these things, and they agree, lets put them up for all to use as referance material.

Lets try to make life easier for the very people that use and need this site, the guys building GT40s.

If this is to be done it has to be done in a full and open manner, if a company or individual has a viable reason for not sharing reasorces, let them say so, and it`s up to us all to respect there wishes and to personaly (and without disscusion) evauate there reasons for doing so from our own personal perspectives.

If we dont ask, and as individuals we dont offer, we will just be perpetuating this elitest culture that in my opinion is stopping this site and comunity from being what it should and could be.

So, it`s down to you now, what can you, as an individual or company, offer to future and current builders?

I`m asking for two extra `rooms` on this forum.

One would be an open room, this would cover all documents/tech info that has been given permission to be reproduced for all to use, free.

The other would be a parts or kit supplier resource, if you make something that is for GT40s let builders know.
If we dont know you make it how do we know who to give our money to? For a token payment to the site you sell your product and it ends the "who sells what" questions that roll over and over.
If you want to buy something you go to the resource pages, easy as that.

Once upon a time, there was a guy waklking down the street, he came upon a can, bending down to inspect it he noticed the lable said `Worms.`
Standing up he thought "what the hell," he opened it, they went everywhere!

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Stuart You make some good points I respond to any posts where I believe I can be helpfull.I've even given my racing spring rates and racers usually don't give that information freely.Personally I hate hidden agendas and I'm sure they abound here.When you post information you do open yourself up for critisizm when others don't believe it to be accurate.I think some may hold back for that reason amongst others.I will answer any question I am asked on this forum as honestly as I can. I do have something to offer as I have built my own car from an RF chassis and developed it to a podium winning car in serious circuit racing.Hopefully others will respond as honestly as I have.I have parts that I could put on the site for sale so this is a good Idea too.
Ross

Boy Stuart, you really think this forum is that lacking and full of people that are full of themselves. I think you're dead wrong. This forum stands on it's own. It goes the way it does because of the membership, which is free. I have shared any and all info that I could with any
that asked on this forum or by e mail. Although .there has been a time or two that I've been to tired or to busy to answer a fellow members question. And I have hoped that another would pickup the cause and answer. So far the system has worked for most.
From the tone of your post you must have ran into one of these " In The Know" people and it pissed you off big time. Stuart, these kind of people are in almost every aspect of our life. You need to learn to avoid them. Not one person holds all the information. There are many others to ask instead, which by the way, makes the IN THE KNOW person a little more uninvolved.
I like it when people like yourself makes suggestions.
I am the third chartered member here on this forum. I also like to think that I was responsible for some part of it. The whole idea was to share and start a brotherhood of fellow GT nuts. I'm not knocking it cause I quite honestly don't see it in the same light as yourself. There are guys on this forum who offer any and all info they can to help.

SMILE>>>BE HAPPY...now what question or info was it that you needed answered?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

StuartB,

There are a few other things that deserve consideration.

1. While everyone here has an interest in GT40's, and may have vast, general automotive knowhow, there is actually a very small number of them who have any practical GT40 experience, and in turn, the knowledge base is small, yet in three years, how many questions have gone unanswered here? Perhaps 10? Maybe those 10 questions were all yours? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Other forums deal with owners of how many of their particular marque? Many thousands, and have many thousands of knowledgeable owners to answer questions? You get the picture.

2. There are also those here, who have a vested business interests to consider (car sales, parts, service). Obviously, they aren't obligated to divulge trade secrets, although many are kind enough to do so. You know who you are! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif To take pot shots at those who don't share, is simply whining and will likely have no positive result. Like it or not, business is business.

3. There seems to be a lack of participation by real GT40 owners, who are the ultimate resource. Those who do, seem to be more than willing to help out when they can, but where are the others? Unaware of this site? I don't believe so..... BUT, they are entitled to their privacy, opinions, etc. They aren't obligated to share the time of day, if they don't choose to. That is their right. Maybe they're just shy shut-ins, are socially challenged, or have a life beyond GT40's! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. With regard to the political issue(automotive and otherwise), this forum has been uncluttered (THANK GOD!) with the ususal bickering, sniping, etc., that is only too common on other forums. Those who have issues, have been kind enough not to burden the rest of us. Thank you for that!

In the three years+ of this forum, I have met and made friends with many people, in many countries, and on many continents. I have shared any knowledge if and when I could, and have banked a wealth of information. What more could a person ask??? Perfection??? This forum isn't quite perfect, but it is damn close, and it's come a very, very long way, since the early days.

I'm sorry that you are dissatisfied with the level of "service" here, but for the most part, I disagree with you. Your complaints/queries should be addressed(by PM) to the individuals in question. You make some valid points, and have some good ideas, but by vaguely attacking members, you have gotten off on the wrong foot! The VAST majority of members here are great guys, who don't deserve to be included (intentionally or otherwise). As far as the ones who deserve criticism are concerned, don't buy into their game, just ignore them.

Bill

Hi stuart
I too have had little gain from raising my question regarding the mirage on the forum, even though RE posted my request on the main entrance. 1100+ views 12 replies.

i did however contact a couple of the guys on the forum by private message, one being frank catt, who is local to me and has been great help even though it's only gtds that he has available, he allowed me full access to take dimensions so that my drawing project would not be cancelled through lack of information. in the end i posted more on the forum than the replies i have received in the hope that i will eventually gain the correct information because the right person will read and reply to the forum requests.

unfortunately i do not know 'the members who are in the know'. but in general, the replies to most other posts have been very helpful to all members and the knowledge pool only increases with time. this is a good thing.

i will continue to improve the drawings of the mirage thanks to frank and i will make the external views available on the forum so that other members will be able to download and hopefully correct any errors and continue in the same vein.

you seem to have ruffled a few feathers and i hope the more established members do not take offence. we all apprreciate
their constructive input and unswerving enthusiasm to the site.

kind regards

mike mills

Hersh, `you really think this forum is that lacking and full of people that are full of themselves`
Please dont confues my rant as a direct attack aimed at the site and it`s users in general, it was never intended to come over like that, and I hope in the main that it didn`t.
I dont think that at all mate, quite the opposite. I think the vast majority of guys here are straight up, but there is this `elitest` set with some people and when I come accross it it does piss me off, and there`s nothing better than a good old rant to let off steam, now is there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif?

Bill, I`m not `dissatisfied with the level of "service" here`
I`m never dissatisfied with anything that`s free, (dont you just love the internet) bring it on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!
It`s a great resource and building would be a great deal harder without it. But that doesn`t mean to say that it couldn`t be improved, and with a little more `openess` from ALL the people that use this site that`s entierly possible.

Anyway, I just felt it time that someone had a moan about it in the open, and the events that lead up to my little rant was the catalist, in a round about way, of raising the main issue.

I honestly feel we need some form of open resource for builders, and I dont think this should be decided through Private Messages and the like.

What I have, and am willing to donate to the cause, is mine only in as much as the paper it`s printed on, I/we would need the permission of the people that own the rights to this stuff and if we`re to ask I would like this to be done in an open manner.

As I said previously, if companies or individuals don`t want to share then that`s there right and I`m sure they`ll have valid reasons for that, and we do have to repect them. But, with a fully open resource in the first place there wouldn`t be the need to ask a lot of repetative questions on the forums, a great deal of answers would be there in the first place and easy to find and it would makes for a better site in general.
A whole list of PDF files, all ready for download, that would do the job a treat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now, does anyone know .................................. no, I just can`t do it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris Kouba

Supporter
StuartB-

The existance of the forum doesn't imply that all the answers to your questions are available. Most of the other people around here are just average people who like GT40's and are trying to promote their existance.

If you have questions, ask them. I am astonished at the amount of info which props itself up on this board. To me it all seems rather well shared, but perhaps only because I haven't purchased a kit or started building yet.

Again, if you have questions, ask them.

Mike-

With regards to the questions about Mirages, it seems like ANY accurate info will be very difficult to find. These cars are ~40 years old and they only constructed 3. It's possible that the information you seek isn't currently quantified and readily available. As you said though, you have posted so that if someone who has the info stumbles across your posts, you may be able to get your questions resolved.

In either case, it seems a bit naive to fault the forum for this.

Chris

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Stuart,

I think Bill hit on one of the big problems: the different makes and models of replicas. Not to mention the variation that was seen in the original GT40s. I get a real hoot when someone say that something isn't "GT40 Correct." For all intents and purposes, there is no such thing as GT40 correct. Then when you consider the even larger variation in the replicas, there are very few standard answers.

The DIY - Hints and Tips section, now called the GT40 Library, was originally intended to be used by guys building their cars as a place to record the way in which they sorted some issue out. There are lots of different ways to accomplish something and some of what a guy comes up with in the quiet of his shop is down right innovative and should be shared. I have done quite a bit of this sort of thing, but, in reality, some of what I have done won't be applicable to anyone except a Sabre builder and some KVA builders. I think the knowledge of this and the lack of knowledge about how some of the other makes are constructed holds people back. I don't think it is usually a total disregard for the other guy's plight. At least, I hope not, but this section is WAY underutilized!

I would encourage all builders to not be shy about bragging on themselves a little in terms of their innovations and approaches to building their cars. Some might think you are full of yourself for doing it, but chances are that the newbee builder will, at the very least, get an idea of how to get started on that aspect of his car. Even if your proceedure isn't directly applicable, there is a good chance that it may germinate an idea of how someone can sort out his particular hurdle. And if a couple of people chide your approach, just tell them "shame on you for not sharing your way" which made me invent my way! All I have to say is that at least you were in there pitching and thats a lot better than most who will sit on their thumbs rather than attempting something as challenging as building a car, especially a GT40 which makes a Cobra look like an erector set.

Regards,
Lynn

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Sturart,

As a founder member of this forum I must say that asking for proprity information from others is a little worying. You openly offer a set of drawings for a GTD. I am not aware that you have purchased the rights for these drawings and I wonder how the owner of these drawings would think of your actions. I for one would take a VERY dim view of anyone using ANY of Roaring Forties Intelectual Property. I think this is the main problem as is the very different ways the different manufactures "skin the cat" as they say.

I have offered much advice to anyone on the forum with other manufacturers cars. This I am more than happy to do as are many of the main guys on the forum. The thing I am not happy to do is to pass on a list of all parts, drawings and suppliers to anyone as this is how all my staff get fed every week.

Regarding the Mirage and the lack of information, I have searched and searched for information on the Mirage. I for one would love to build one, but the information is very hard to get. I still have not been able to track someone down who will give me access to a set of moulds for less than US $ 50,000. I have spent countless hours with the Mirage alone.

My interest in the Roaring Forties GT40 has cost me BIG TIME and I would be stupid to allow anyone to just give away what I have paid for.

Saying all that I think the forum offers a HUGE ammount of detail about almost every part our cars use. I am happy to offer help to anyone as are most of the members of the forum.

Best wishes to all,

Robert

To all, I don't think stuart is meaning to attack this website. I think I know what he's talking about. When I first signed on as a member here. I would occasionally see someone ask a question that had been asked many times before. Many times the "asker" would be given the answer "try the search option". I've tried the search option, and many times it just doesn't seem to work for my. I don't know why, it just doesn't. I'd try changing my search criterial, but sometimes it just becomes frustrating knowing that the information you seek is there, but accessing it just doesn't want to happen. Now, those who reply with "try the search feature" aren't necessarily being rude, but to someone who really would like to find that information, it comes across that way. The tough thing to understand about this thread, is that it's making a point that ruffles some of your feathers like the "try the search feature" ruffles others. It's most likely not personal, but one takes it that way. If there's one thing that I've learned, it's that nothing is worth getting worked up about. Things happen, whether I like it or not, so I've learned to deal with it and get on with my life. Life's too short to stress out over. I will say that the attitude Stuart would like to see more of, the that of the ClubCobra crew. I've seen the exact same question asked over and over, again and again, and with the same results. Each time a bunch of guys chime in and crate a 40 post thread about it (just a figure of speach). I think that this just relates to the fact that many more guys can afford a cobra as opposed to a GT40, and with the larger numbers of members, and members who love to "pit race", you seem to get overwhelming response. Personally, I've never gotten the "try the search feature", probably because I've always tried the search feature first, then if I couldn't find the answer, I'd then ask the forum the question and let them know I've tried the search feature and had no luck. After that, I've always gotten a couple of friendly responses. Remember all, this is not Utopia, and most likely never will be, so we might as well learn to accept the fact, not get worked up, and be grateful for what we do have.

Hope I didn't upset anyone.
Have a good day all.

Jim

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Guys,

It has to be said... Hat's off to this forum! The fact that it exists at all is a blessing to all of us afflicted with GT40 obsession.

There's alot more information out there than offered up in responce to questions. The resons generally fall under: brand specific issue, disclosure of propriatry information or too damm busy. I seriously doubt anyone is holding back information otherwise.

There are very few people making a living out of this obsession, so we're very respectful of other manufacturers products. Some companies preffer not to actively participate, it's their choice.

I'm happy to reply to any posting where the answer does not tread on anybody else's products or information offered can be used to solve a common problem. Just wish I had more time and could type 4>5 times faster:)

The GT40 Forum has to be one of the most civilzed forums on the net. Touchy stuff usually gets dealt with by private messages and the overall resource here is huge.

My 2c worth, glad to help whenever I can:)

Cheers

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
I agree with Robert's point of view - for manufacturers who are trying to make a living out of these cars, major investments of time & money in figuring out the design aspects is worth something & can't be just given away.

However, most of these cars require (to widely varying degrees) some innovative thinking & design on the part of the owner/builders - my experience on the Forum is that this info is freely shared. Add to that, the fact that some builders like to do it their own way, even if the manufacturer has a "standard" setup - again, most of these guys tend to share their "outside the box" thinking.

From time to time, there may be a lack of response to some questions - but it must be remembered that for most of us, the '40 is a part time hobby (obsession) & there are times when we are flat out doing other stuff - like paying bills & avoiding divorces, etc ! I plead guilty to sometimes not responding to questions that I could reasonably expect to help with - it just comes down to lack of time, at the time.

If you have a problem that is not getting addressed, just post a "reply" to bring it up to the top again - guys who did not have the time to respond earlier may well have the time to do so later (if they are reminded - we mostly don't have the time to go back & check old threads which are left hanging).

Please be tolerant - nobody on the Forum is paid to provide to provide commercial levels of Customer Service - its just a matter of "if we can help" & "if we have the time".

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Ron Earp

Admin
From another thread that I posted on:
"Hi Joe and Stuart,

both of you mention or hint at an index for "factual" information and quick lookup guides for common issues. There are a huge number of hurdles to doing something like that, but the least of it is money.

The biggest thing is time - someone would have to seriously work on this type of endevour a few hours a day for several months to make a go of it. A nice fellow voluentered to do that a few years back, but the effort sort of fizzled and died. Any effort to do this would require the users (you, me, everyone else) to write articles dealing with subjects and then complie them into a list. Since most people find it hard to find time to work on their car, much less write about it, we don't see a lot of this going on.

The forum does it in a way, but it certainly isn't organized into "a list" - it requires works with the search engine and reading lots of post to find everything out. Probably about as good as it is going to get, unless someone wants to take up the flag on making a FAQ. I've got too much on my plate to consider such a thing, just keeping this running with my car hobbies is enough, anyone want to take on that job? Buehler? Anyone?
Ron"

As folks have already mentioned, time is a big issue for folks that use the forum. Nobody here is "paid" to do anything to the forum, so what you see is what you will get. Jim mentioned having a ClubCobra atmosphere, but the reason is simple it is not like that - far fewer GT40 people. And, given that a fraction, say X, of the total population of users, Y, will respond at all, then it is clear that as Y goes down then the number of responses dwindles as also mentioned.

Robert and Ian are dead on too about the manufactuers not wanting nor needing to give away the farm. They cannot be expected too, the building of cars is their lifeblood. That said, Ian, Robert, and maybe one or two other manufactuers have been helpful with other makes of cars and that is generous on their parts. At least they are participating and trying.

There are some people on the forum who have a lot of knowledge but don't post so much, and it can be due to a number of factors. I know that one of these types of people draws income from working on cars and solving problems, so I'm not sure he can be expected to provide info for free if he doesn't want to. Other also fall into this boat. Others just don't have the time to write or don't care to. Room for improvement? Probably so but certainly not something that can be enforced or really even encouraged.

I really think the only way the forum will be more user friendly is with an index or FAQ, but that is far beyond what I have time for to create. Someone should do it, for sure, but I just don't know who that person might be.

Ron

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
I've noticed in the past that a number of questions that come up and get the response "use the search function" are generally followed up by a number of kind souls that attach a reference that they remember from past discussions.
This is a great way to take us all back to a point in time that some remember better than others, and highlights the answers people are seeking. Maybe this should be the standard response for the basic questions that newbie posters tend to put up...
I'd install an example of this if I knew how /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif....

Bill.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
To no one in particular and to everyone in general,

I am going to wax philosophical here for a little bit. After having re-read this thread yet again, the first thing I am struck by is the quality of people who make this forum what it is; and, it is absolutely wonderful, pure and simple! Early on, I asked John Donnelley why he started building GT40s (he had built Cobras before), he told me that he had tired of compromising his product to keep up with the downward spiral in quality and cost of that marque, but most of all that he had also tired of dealing with average Cobra builder and that he reckoned the GT40 group was a substantially different group: the kind that he wanted to associate with. The cynic will laugh and say, "yeah, a group with more money!" But, I believe he meant a more gentile and more knowledgeable group, less prone to bickering and fighting, and more prone to work things out in a controlled, civilized manner. I think he was absolutely right in this, and that fact that many different people have characterized this forum as different than the other marque forums, in a good way, is proof of that this philosophy is correct.

To speak directly to the "question" that this thread raises, I would like to focus for a moment on one of those qualities of the "GT40 Crowd" mentioned above: knowledgeable. As I mentioned in my earlier post, building a GT40 or, indeed, any mid engined sports car, is not an endeavor to be undertaken lightly. Even for people who have been around motor vehicles their whole life or even for trained engineers, building a GT40 is a REAL challenge that requires a lot of understanding of a lot of different disciplines. If it were easy, then everyone would have a GT40, which would lessen the car's appeal, I think. To expect that a few hours on a forum will adequately prepare the average Joe (no puns intended to any Joes out there ;-) to build a GT40 or, again, any complex mid engine sports car, is ludicrous. As Ron, so correctly pointed out, it is all about TIME. If one doesn't have a solid understanding of the basic mechanical principals of automotive engineering, one cannot expect the forum membership to provide a quick and easy indexing service into every aspect of the build process. We just don't have the time to do this, we also have lives: family, jobs, community, hobbies, houses and all the other commitments that leave too few hours in too few days to do everything. So, as a new builder, YOU have to spend the time reading books on engine building, chassis design, suspension theory (preferably with a racing bent); you have to spend time pouring through catalogues of rod ends, offset spherical bearings, brake calipers, sound deadening materials, aftermarket steering boxes, pages and pages of fastener options, etc. etc. The bottom line is that you should come to the forum with certain base level of understanding that is going to take YOU time to achieve. [I should interject here that most do exactly that. I would point to the many "I've been lurking here for a while now" posts as evidence for this belief.] You can't expect the forum membership to shortcut that for you. To do so, is selfish and displays a disregard for other's time and efforts. If someone has asked a basic question and there have been no answers, it may be that no one does know the exact answer, but it may also be that the group, as a whole, is saying to you RTFB. "God helps those who help themselves," is the saying and most here will help those who have spent the time trying on their own (and it is usually evident when this is the case) and still come up against a wall. This "just had to be said" too.

Ian said that there are very few people making a living on this obsession. I'll go beyond that and say that there are damned few actually being successful at making a living at it. Unfortunately, in this world, time is money, nothing is free and anything of quality will cost you in some way. So, for those few who are making a living within this very narrow, specialized market to want to hold on to that is completely understandable. This industry is littered with stories of those who have tried, with the best of intentions, to make a go of it and failed. (Fortunately, most of those who have tried with the worst of intentions have also failed.) Virtually everyone in the business is aware of these stories and understand all to well what can happen, making their concerns well justified and valid. It took me a while to understand this also; but, having seen good guys, who I considered friends (still consider friends), get pushed into unenviable positions where they were forced into seemingly dishonorable actions because they loved what they were doing to the point that they tried to continue beyond what was reasonable has made it all to clear. Again, our society, for good or ill, equates time with money, so to achieve your goals WILL cost you one way or the other. To expect others to invest in your dreams for free is not reasonable. It is a delicate dance we do here: we all love the joy, excitement and pride of ownership that GT40s can provide, we want others to share in that joy and excitement because it is no fun to do alone, so we share enough to help others understand what is available here. But, at the same time, we cannot cut off the flow of income to those that make attaining the dream possible. Except for the very few who are lucky enough to have nearly limitless funds (and who, coincidentally, in some cases, provide the least amount of support here), we cannot fabricate a GT40 all by ourselves. In the end, consider yourself lucky to gain what insight, help and direction you do acquire here at www.GT40s.com. This forum exists for the good and pleasure of the GT40 and Ford GT enthusiast. The economic viability of the vendors who supply and provide services to those enthusiasts does serve this purpose, just as much, as does helping the individual builder. While, at the same time, both joy and misery love company. ;-)

Regards,
Lynn

PS: Late breaking addition, Steve, you are spot on, that would be helpful.

I don't recall if this has been mentioned before, but another
way to search would be to use Google and type the following:

site:www.gt40s.com transaxles

I use transaxles as an example (I wonder why /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ), but feel to
search for whatever topic.

Here's a link to my output from the search:

Google transaxle search

Ian

P.S. A wiki isn't a bad idea, and I will look into what it
might take to better index things (consider it a side project).

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ron and Ian. The google search idea of Ian's really makes your point Ron. 141 hits on transaxles alone. I wonder how many more on gearboxes, halfshafts, bellhousings, clutches, driveshafts, adapter plates, audi, renault, porche, LSD quafe, RBT etc etc etc.

It would take me weeks just to put together a comprehesive study on "gearboxes"

For the new user of this forum, give the search engine a try and if you can't find what you need, ask. There isn't gonna be a better way any time soon.

I would like to say that I took 5 years to build mine and that 50% of that time was "research". Homework is the only way you will complete your car yourself. This is a fact of life in the world of home built GT40s.

Take your time, make new friends and learn some new stuff. In the end you will also have a cool car.

Oh and I couldn't have done mine without this forum and other people who have done a car before me.

Thanks Ron and all my other new friends.

Stuart, I suppose that a lot of us may feel a little reticent about jumping into conversation regarding things that may have several or many solutions for fear of looking a prat(idiot) to those who might know better. We all know how we personally do things, and sometimes we use unconventional methods to do them, and to some this raises a great amount of interest, but from others we have to endure a certain amount of disdain and scorn. The free thinkers of this world, the Colin Chapmans, are the people that carry engineering forward all the time, and they are not prats but still quite often do suffer initial disdain until their theories are proven, but the rest of use living on the fringes of inovation sometimes would rather shrink away than shout the odds. The real engineers, in the shed at the bottom of the garden, are the type who will know the solution long before someone else shouts it from the rooftop, or in this case on the Forum

Robert, if you re-read my posts you`ll notice I made the effort in each post to state that permission from the owners of the interlectual propery would need to be given.
I would in no way offer to pass on what`s not mine to give without that permission being granted first.

I used GTD and KCC as examples for differing reasons, GTD as a company that (to my knowledge) are still no longer trading and KCC as a company that from personal experiance seem to have absolutly no interest in a product they no longer make.
The owners of the name `GTD` must surely be aware that there are what could almost be considered `historic documents` (within this comunity) floating around and being passed from person to person that are GTD property.
KCC, who are still trading and well known in the Cobra world must be assumed to aware, just the same, of the old manual they once made doing the rounds.
These are examples of the type of documents that I can see no valid reason for permission not to be given on as things stand. No one is going to loose money there, certainly not the people who own them as there is no longer a product to be protected.
As with Trevor Legate getting permission from Ford to reproduce parts of the original Ford drawings in his (very good) book, Ford weren`t worried about loosing money, they no longer sold, nor had any intention, to sell the product.
Were GTD or KCC to refuse permission on the grounds that they may wish to reserect the product at a latter date, fair play, thats` there right.

I can fully understand your wish to protect your product though, as you say, it`s your living and that of the associated people and industry around you and I fully understand and even expect you to be somewhat defensive, but, where would be the danger in allowing the `build` only related parts of manuals being reproduced?
A picture says a thousand words and should/could make life easier all round.

Frank, I agree, there is a real knowledge base on this forum, guys that can invent from the garden shed as you put it, `living on the fringes of inovation.`
But just because these people `will know the solution long before someone else shouts it from the rooftop` doesn`t mean that these are the only guys that should be here or that this should stop them from offering a little assistance to those lesser engineers.
The whole point of having a forum, to help the less `inovative` and `unconventional` among us should be something we collectively strive to better.
I also honestly don`t feel that running the risk of looking a pratt because I choose to question something should be any sort of deterant, to myself or to anyone else. I`m quite capable of looking a pratt before resorting to possibly upsetting people I`ve no wish to upset, and I`m sure Colin Chapman felt the same way.

Back