J. Salmon RCR-40 Build

New tires, and installed the Penske shocks. It was a little tricky because the rear shocks would not fit with the rear cant that was present in the stock location. So we had to fabricate new upper shock mounts. The rears are now dead vertical. The fronts bolted right up but the remote reservoirs were necessary with the shorter shock body so they had to be secured. Between fresh rubber and custom valved shocks, I think it is fair to say the car is absolutely transformed!

I made a few videos this am. I never get enough of the sound. I also wanted to show how well the Kinsler setup works (it had been sitting for over a week) and the front lift. I couldn't get around without the lift, but with it I just don't have any issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ7lAuz9KLg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81H6BQNwY6o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvGlS6cLMD8

Attachments

• RCR frontshock.jpg
    RCR frontshock.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 901
  • RCR shock1.jpg
    RCR shock1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 911
  • RCR shock2.jpg
    RCR shock2.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 891

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Nice work as usual Jay..

Don't forget to pick up the loose nut on the sill in the upper right of this picture and install it on the upper control arm clevis in the lower left of this picture.. Might not be too pretty if it were to come apart!

That clevis may be threaded now that I think about it.. Can't seem to remember for sure..

Oh well - if nothing else, there's a loose nut for you! :lipsrsealed:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 815
Easy folks... was just a test fit. Notice the rear brake line is about to be crushed in the spring! (did you miss that?) They have been moved, everything redone, tightened and checked. But I do appreciate the eagle eyes here!

Two new plans:
The front clip shakes side to side some. I am going to add a couple of fasteners just ahead of the wind screen to hold it better.

Also, I found the main entrance of air and dirt and leaves...you can see right in to the cabin from the front wheel well. I am going to fix some rubber spats that will seal this and still allow the front clip to be taken on and off as it does now.

We sold our Cobra, so that has kept me from having to think about selling this car. Which is good since it's just not perfect yet!

You would sell it when it is perfect?
Excuse me, that wouldn't be right.

Judging from your videos, you live in a place worth driving in.

Cheers,
Howard

I made spats for the front wheel wells. They are sheet metal with pieces of 1/4" sheet rubber riveted on to seal to the body. Both are held on by two screws and must be removed when pulling the front clip. The AC works much better now, kept the car comfortable mid day 90 degrees.

Attachments

• Wheel well 1.jpg
    Wheel well 1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 725
  • Wheel well 2.jpg
    Wheel well 2.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 722
  • Wheel well 3.jpg
    Wheel well 3.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 733
Dare I say... I think it's done!

It took a custom heat shield and header wrap, but the transaxle is now happy.

I had no idea how much the front clip moved about until I added some additional fasteners to keep it from wobbling.

It's almost too little drama: it's starts and runs smooth, the ride is controlled but not harsh, it steers great with a remarkably small turning radius, it shifts wonderfully, the front lift makes driveways straight forward, The AC works, the mirrors let you see...

The stack intake does have a pretty serious response on initial throttle tip in, and the pops on overrun are, well, noticeable. And it goes like a scalded cat! So that keeps things real :)

Attachments

• Fclip1.jpg
    Fclip1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 785
  • Fclips2.jpg
    Fclips2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 818
  • Header wrap.jpg
    Header wrap.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 1,087
J.,

Great read of the build thread.

Did you ever fit a rear sway bar, and if so, where?

Mark

Mark,
No, and actually, I recently undid the front sway bar. Originally I thought the car would need the anti-sways and I was concerned it would be scary tail-happy without some front bar to dial in some understeer. I think the car really feels more alive with the front bar unhooked. There is a bit more feedback to the steering, and the car feels more agile. I am glad I installed it originally, because adding it would be a real pain afterward. But I don't think - at least as a road car - it's needed.
-J.

Dr. John,
Thanks for the note. It must be a function of how low the car is that the bars would be superfluous. Have you had the 40 on the track to assess the resultant roll in a more-than-street-pace? I've watched some of your track driving and can only guess that having driven real race machinery you would certainly be able to tell if a sway bar were needed. Curious, have you fitted a rear bar, either? Sure looks crowded back over the trans regardless of any desire to place one there...
Have you been able to tailor the under/oversteer solely thru shock tweaking, or do you feel it is a result of chassis and suspension geometry?
Thanks again. Mark

Dr. John,
Thanks for the note. It must be a function of how low the car is that the bars would be superfluous. Have you had the 40 on the track to assess the resultant roll in a more-than-street-pace? I've watched some of your track driving and can only guess that having driven real race machinery you would certainly be able to tell if a sway bar were needed. Curious, have you fitted a rear bar, either? Sure looks crowded back over the trans regardless of any desire to place one there...
Have you been able to tailor the under/oversteer solely thru shock tweaking, or do you feel it is a result of chassis and suspension geometry?
Thanks again. Mark

Mark, I never spent much time with it on track. I did not have a rear roll bar, and I feel the understeer was pretty significant with the front bar in place. It also seemed to keep the front end from being quite as smooth. The car doesn't have a lot of suspension travel, and the center of gravity is so low, I certainly don't think the sway bars are needed for street use. I think it's hard for me to predict how things will be with slicks on a track, but my guess is that they probably are not critical.

We may get some more information out of the car, but not from me... see below.

SOLD! End of an 9 year+ era for me. I just want to take a post and thank everyone from Ron to all the members for making this entire experience even possible. No way I could have done it alone. Such great folks here, such incredible talent.

My car is headed to a very worthy new owner who I think is going to continue its development beyond what I ever would have done. I will try to post up information as it becomes available to me, as I hope to stay in touch with her new dad.

Best regards to all!

J. Salmon, daddy of RCR46, conceived in 2005, born in 2007, graduated 9/21/15.

Dear John, dear All,
I would like to introduce myself to this forum and especially to this blog, RCR0046.
In short: I am located in Germany and have become the 4th owner of this incredible car!

Once I get settled in with her, get her cleaned and give her a little service, I will start out with telling the story behind getting her home to me.
Cheers!

Attachments

• 4730E2BF-9155-4E0E-B4E3-20D1BAC36DA7.jpeg
    4730E2BF-9155-4E0E-B4E3-20D1BAC36DA7.jpeg
    433.1 KB · Views: 732
Thx Randy..
So summer break is over and went back to office work. So far I had no chance to take her for a spin... :-(
Got to adjust the pedals to my size 5’6”.... Sportscar size btw!
Then the oil needs an urgent change, it collected moisture during the transport and down time at the harbor...

I will switch back to a 5W30 Mobil1, it’s slightly colder in GY...

Attachments

• 15DEC8C1-52A0-4C0F-A01E-7912819CA27D.jpeg
    15DEC8C1-52A0-4C0F-A01E-7912819CA27D.jpeg
    271.8 KB · Views: 610
Whooosh... and its 2019!
ever since my last post, the drive shaft bellow went bust... what a mess. Had to clean out the engine bay from all that graphite grease.:mad:

Anyhow, got some new bellows and loosened the shafts today. Hope to get all replaced and re-fitted by next week...
20190116_131025.jpg

So,..., work kept me from tinkering. But now the shafts are cleaned, fitted and marked... The bolts were tightened with 70 Nm, seems to be right. Since they are marked I should be able to detect any loosening right off the bat.

Attachments

• 20190405_163031.jpg
    20190405_163031.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 425
Back