Jag XJ13

Chuck

Supporter
Business took me to Michigan, so a visit to RCR was worked into the schedule. The Jaguar XJ13 is an intriguing car, so it provided the basis for the visit.

Although only one XJ13 was built by Jaguar, its history is intriguing. Perhaps if it had been given a different number designation it would not have been plagued by such bad luck. Nonetheless, as a reproduction it interests me because:

1. The body lines are classis Jaguar. A bit like an XKE with the passenger and engine compartments switched.

2. The notion of a 12 cylinder is interesting.

3. It is an open top car, although a targa top can be fabricated.

4. The seating position is a bit more upright, more like a Cobra than a GT40

5. It has a boot (trunk) with a fair amount of practical space

6. The classis details, like all those rivets on the body, the louvers on the hood, add to the vintage look

7. The cabin has a bit more space, which should make for a nice highway cruiser

Fran had a partially completed body which he rolled out for our inspection. Nice.

With this car you won’t likely ever see yourself coming or going. It is a rare one.

Gotta’ have a project. This looks like a good one. . . .

Attachments

• JagFront.JPG
    JagFront.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 1,225
  • JagRearQuarter.JPG
    JagRearQuarter.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 1,510
  • JagHood.JPG
    JagHood.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 1,122
  • JagDoorHardware.jpg
    JagDoorHardware.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,173

Chuck

Supporter
So you bought one?

Not yet.

Ryan and I are in the process of restoring a 1965 Mustang Fast Back. It goes off to paint in a week. Hope to have it done this summer. Then the Jag moves up to the top of the "next project" list.

So much to do . . . so little time . . . .

Chuck

Supporter
Should have taken more pics. Here are a few shots.

The fuel filler is behind the louvered doors on the side.

Note the door latch mounted on the block of ally.

The boot (trunk) is really big for this sort of car. The original would have had a spare tire, with room to spare.

Doors have an beam cross brace. The hinges are cast pieces.

The tail lights would be sourced from an XKE.

Fran can give you a whole lot more info.

Attachments

• JagBoot.JPG
    JagBoot.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 802
  • JagDoorlatch.JPG
    JagDoorlatch.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 773
  • JagRear.JPG
    JagRear.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 841
  • JagFuelFill.JPG
    JagFuelFill.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 730

Chuck

Supporter
The original.

Attachments

• jaguar_xj13_1966-L.jpg
    jaguar_xj13_1966-L.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,158
  • Jaguar-XJ13_10.jpg
    Jaguar-XJ13_10.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 958

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I've been a fan of the XJ13 since "SportsCarFactory" was making it.

So few ever completed--wonder why?

It just screams for a jag V-12 behind that cockpit, no?

I'm hoping this comes true for you, I for one would like to see a build thread :thumbsup: !

Doug

Here is a link to an Australian (Canberra) built XJ13. Stunning in its accuracy, including all original Jaguar glass.

The builder is a local vehical engineer. He did get the quad cam heads to work, a significant achievement.

AKZ Vehicle Engineering

Chuck

Supporter
I've been a fan of the XJ13 since "SportsCarFactory" was making it.

So few ever completed--wonder why?

It just screams for a jag V-12 behind that cockpit, no?

I'm hoping this comes true for you, I for one would like to see a build thread :thumbsup: !

Doug

My initial plan per Frans suggestion would be a Jag V12 with a stock naturally aspirated intake. Four SU carbs, I believe. Not exactly prototypical (the original had mechanical fuel injection with those 12 gorgeous trumpets) but it would be period correct and hopefully a reliable set up.

Of coure the option of coming up with an appropriate intake manifold with Webers or Dynatek fuel injection would sure be nice and could presumably be explored once all the issues were sorted out.

Only one XJ13 was built. The top brass killed the project because (1) fear it would compete with the XKE that just came out and (2) changes in the racing regulations of the time. Otherwise it would have been competing at Lemans around the same time as the GT 40s and Ferrari's. Now that would have been interesting!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Beautiful car and a stunning piece of art as well...

some images attached and here is a nice piece of work in the form of a Diecast model;
Autoart Jaguar XJ13

Attachments

• JaguarXJ13engine.jpg
    JaguarXJ13engine.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 735
  • 2683575592_8d49b00e51_b.jpg
    2683575592_8d49b00e51_b.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 675
  • jaguar_xj13_engine.jpg
    jaguar_xj13_engine.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,474
  • Jaguar_XJ_13_engine_TCE.jpg
    Jaguar_XJ_13_engine_TCE.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 746
Yes Sir, those Brits can make beautiful cars. Thanks for posting. I for one will look forward to Chuck and Ryan's new adventure.
Garry

I've always loved the XJ13.
Here is a project I was working on before my RCR P4 arrived. I had to push it asside until the new car is done. I had the jag v12 for 10 years waiting for something to put it in, and finally came up with the "C" type. You can find these engines everywhere, but the manifolds are rather rare I think. It would look cool in that car!
Jim

Attachments

• 2008_0920shop090012.jpg
    2008_0920shop090012.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 805
  • 2008_0920shop090014.jpg
    2008_0920shop090014.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 842

Chuck

Supporter
I've always loved the XJ13.
Here is a project I was working on before my RCR P4 arrived. I had to push it asside until the new car is done. I had the jag v12 for 10 years waiting for something to put it in, and finally came up with the "C" type. You can find these engines everywhere, but the manifolds are rather rare I think. It would look cool in that car!
Jim

Gorgeous.

Where did you find the intakes for the Webers?

I agree. That engine would like great in the XJ13. Of course it also looks great in its present location. Very nice.

I believe that is my XJ13 kit in the photos. I will be starting my build log soon.
There is alot of mis-information about the original car. That original engine sold on ebay Germany is now back in England where it belongs and in very good hands. It was an amazing automotive archeological find. To read more about that engine and many previously unreleased details about the original Jaguar XJ13 project the web site attached is a must. I believe Neville is now the worlds formost source of knowledge on this car. Peter Wilson was one of the original engineers in the Jaguar competition dept from 1961-1966 and I also recommend his book "Cat out of the Bag". According to Neville, Peter is currently working on a new book specifically about XJ13.
More details about my car to follow.
Jaguar XJ13 | Building the Legend

Chuck

Supporter
Mike:

Thanks for the links. Very interesting info

When do you plan to take delivery? The Jag I looked at visiting Fran looked like it was about ready to go - at least as far as the body was concerned. Very nice.

Will be looking forward to your build blog.

Back