Kellison GT40

Hi, I guess I'm unusual also but my name is Dick-heheheh. Anyway-- on to the real deal. I just aquired a Kellison GT40 body and want to build a car. I imagine you all have opinions as to this body and good or bad, I'd like to hear. My desire is to have look as close to a GT40 as I can afford. My intent is to build my own frame and the entire car. I believe I have most of necessary skills and equipment to do. Are tube frame drawings availiable? I am not real good navigating your site yet and maybe didnt find? I have noted some negative comments about none Ford engines, while I'm a die hard Ford guy anyway, I was thinking of building one I could use several diff engines. I have the Ford SB and a 428, plus SB Chevs (no interest), 392 Chrysler, and 341 Desoto, and a aluminum 4 cam Maserati V8. My intent would be a road car, so will Audi trans be acceptable, which one? It appears there tons of info here and I look forward to reading it all in time. Thanks to anyone who can steer me in right direction----cheers.

Welcome to the forum Dick! Although the Kellison is not even real close to the GT40, it remains one of my favorites. You may wind up designing your own chassis as there are many differences in dimension from the GT40. Someone, somewhere has photos of the original Kellison chassis. If I remember correctly, it was fairly simple. Enjoy!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Yes - Welcome to GT40s Dick!!!!

There are plenty of projects underway here from Scratch built (and I mean pure scratch) to - well - the sky's the limit!

Enjoy!

I always thought the Kellison looked more like a Ferrari Dino than a GT40. The only ones I've seen were bolted to a VW floorpan, but this was many years ago.

John P, I think you may have the Kelmark kit car that went on a VW pan. Kinda resembled the Dino. The Kellison had two versions as I recall and one was for the VW also.

Thanks all for your input, I used to work in Ferrari restoration shop and in my opinion doesn't look like a Dino or a Kelmark. But whatever, its here and what I can afford so I'm having at what I got. 1st step here is I need to lock up a trans choice, I believe the only affordable choice for me is the Audi. This will be a road car without a killer HP engine. Specifically, which trans should I look for----several choices on ebay now. I would appreciate some specific info on which model and years? Can any help me here?---Thanks

I believe the Kellison body is the one currently used by Melson motorsports on their gt40 kit car.I have one of the Melson cars I have put a Caddie. Northstar eng in it with a porsche 915 trans axel.Melson will sell just a chassis kit but i believe it's about $7000. I can send you some photos of mine of you like

Roy, yes, would like photos. I got the car in Orlando, I think that guy got it from Conneticut somewhere. I would be happy post some pics but have to figure out how. Thanks for replies, Dick

Back