KVA / SGT build

Udo

Supporter
Just a quick notice on the Audi FRF gearbox: my one failed after 3.000km (selection of 1st and 2nd gear no longer possible, the related sliding sleeve got damaged). I build in another on, fairly cheap, hoping for more endurance this time.

Falcon progresses nicely, FIA-spec 289 engine with homologated headers installed, and dashboard really looks like racing:

74DB26CF-C32B-4758-8ACA-37459F802C82.jpeg
7AE9C970-097B-413D-8EE6-F3E14C12F13E.jpeg
2E916AB8-72D0-4490-94D3-CE368780165D.jpeg

8565541E-04D5-46C7-9A13-D9C3C0DB9F41.jpeg

Nice..
Falcons are cool,
Always liked the later ones don't see many around.
Have owned 2 64 Fairlanes last one was a 4 spd.
Friend of mine campaigned a Thunderbolt back in the day still has it.
Ford got it right with a lot of different cars.

Hi Nick, the SGT doesn‘t work that well with the Audi gearbox, that‘s true. The left gearbox cover plate needed to be modified like this:
View attachment 95814
And the right rear bar of the SGT frame needed to be cut off because of fouling with the cable gear shift mechanism, so I replaced it with a custom made one - I had never done this to my first car, the Cobra :
View attachment 95815
Udo, do you have any more pics of how your gearbox sits on the chassis on the nearside. Did you have to modify the chassis in any way, mounted my 01x without any modifcation and the engine tilt is too far forwards atm.

Udo

Supporter
Udo, do you have any more pics of how your gearbox sits on the chassis on the nearside. Did you have to modify the chassis in any way, mounted my 01x without any modifcation and the engine tilt is too far forwards atm.
Hi Phil, yes, I needed to cut off the rear vertical frame element, instead a straight member, I welded an approx. 160 degree one. I will check if I will find a picture. Also, the left cover of the transmission required some modifications, see below. Finally, the bracket of the left lower wishbone comes with countersink screws now.
1726AC37-6527-4FB6-AFDD-353B38199C61.jpeg

I hope that this helps a bit. Udo

Udo

Supporter
Hi Phil, yes, I needed to cut off the rear vertical frame element, instead a straight member, I welded an approx. 160 degree one. I will check if I will find a picture. Also, the left cover of the transmission required some modifications, see below. Finally, the bracket of the left lower wishbone comes with countersink screws now.
View attachment 123363
I hope that this helps a bit. Udo
Hi Phil, sorry, no more pictures, I hope that you are ok with the information above. If you are at LMC, I can show hardware. Best, Udo

Hi Phil, sorry, no more pictures, I hope that you are ok with the information above. If you are at LMC, I can show hardware. Best, Udo
Unfortunately i wont be there. If uoi get chance an manage to take a pic of how your box sits against the chassis rail passenger side that would really help.

Udo

Supporter
Phil, please contact Belinda Wheelwright from the Enthusiast Club. Her husband plans to build a kit with the SGT shifter with rod (I like it) for the 01E. This makes much more sense rather that what I did. Cheers, Udo

This is just a heads-up if you use the Audi/VW 01E transmissions and a converter kit, you better measure before building the stuff into your car! My transmissions leaked after 600 km, so it got disassembled out of the car. Fig. 1 shows the status after a while. In fig 2 you see the result when using a standard 01E with an aluminium adapter plate and an off the shelf roller bearing housing. The transmission shaft sits only 5mm in a 14mm diameter bearing, that causes a pretty short lifetime. The situation with the bearing inside the transmission is the same and also needs to be exchanged, fig 3, togehter with the damaged sealing. If everything runs well, I am back on the street next Sunday ...
View attachment 109758
View attachment 109759
View attachment 109760
Udo

How did you fix you spigot bearing adaptor problem.
Iv gt the same length issues, its 5-10mm too short so i expect the same will occur.
Did you just get a longer one made up?

Udo

Supporter
Hi Phil, a friend built a longer one. I measured the required length after the first one fails, and since then it is quit for 5.000 km. It was around 10mm extension. Sorry, I don‘t have more precise numbers, Udo

Hi Phil, a friend built a longer one. I measured the required length after the first one fails, and since then it is quit for 5.000 km. It was around 10mm extension. Sorry, I don‘t have more precise numbers, Udo
Perfect thank you, i have a engineer drawing of it so i'll get another on made up 10mm longer.

Udo

Supporter
After coming back from Le Mans Classic, my second GT40 radiator got leaky. I attached it with in total eight soft rubber-bonded mounts to the frame, obviously too stiff (it seems that there is too high displacement to the radiator, that it cannot carry).

The good thing about LMC: so many things to learn, that‘s the “blueprint“ for my next attempt, seen in a Pantera race car:
AD1DE0DB-3666-4168-AC00-2B060F237238.jpeg

Just a lessons learned for all builders to come.

Udo

Udo

Supporter
Nothing to build on the GT40, but a quick update about the Falcon. In November, I took thr car to Zandvoort for the 2022 final trackday, with transmission issues after half an hour. In the meantime, I learned a bit about Borg Warner T10 in its dozen variations, put it back into the Falcon, and yesterdays test run was as hoped and expected. Next trackday to come in April, looking forward.

6401C92D-CB2A-49EF-905C-AD12396B8A86.jpeg

578C1D78-B66C-4B13-935F-0E94AF344502.jpeg

74CB08DD-E125-4F87-B689-CBB4890DFBFD.jpeg

Back