Lahaina

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Depending what you like to do Lee, you may not find to many short comings.
Front St. was the nicest place I'v ever visited, food, music, history and sunsets.

We also stay on the north west area about, 15 minutes from Lahaina near the golf course, a nice area and over 23 years, about 15 times, we noticed quite a change in people. Not recovered from Covid , now the fire, they have taken a shit kicking. I love the area and the people and won't stop supporting them. We always like going to Lani on the government ferry and to Molakai a privet boat that doesn't run any more . The government ferry schedule has changed making it an awkward day. A shortage of people to fill jobs I think. We enjoy the drive around the north end as a day trip and the longer one to Hana. Make sure you do the full round of the south end, a great drive, don't tell your rental company, years ago they used to freak out on you. $$$$

We are always right on the water front about 8 floors up and love it.
As far as food is concerned, my wife is the best ever and loves cooking.
Sunset is about 6:35 with appys and dinner on the lani cant be beet.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Thanks Howard, just saw that one yesterday. A small town in B.C., Litton burned up two years ago and our government is still picking their nose.
As mentioned Lahaina has issued 10 permits to build. Good for them !!

Thanks Howard, just saw that one yesterday. A small town in B.C., Litton burned up two years ago and our government is still picking their nose.
As mentioned Lahaina has issued 10 permits to build. Good for them !!
I suspect the rebuilding of Litton is deliberately being delayed so people sell and move along.

Howard Jones

Supporter
If I had to guess I would wait until 2026 to vacation back at my condo in Kaanapali just north of Lahaina. My guess is the burn debris will be cleaned up by the end of the year, both residential and commercial, and the commercial district rebuild will be well underway by 2026.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
As in many parts of the world we have complications to consider with the native population. We can't just jump in and get things done.
Major time delay factors !!!!

Howard Jones

Supporter
When a tragic, catastrophic natural disaster like this one happens the population goes through a process that starts with disbelief, then turns to a wish that it didn't happen, then search for direction, looking for blame, and finally to acceptance which leads to a process of planning for the future and beginning to rebuild. This really can't be rushed especially with a large group of people with divergent interests.

The people of Maui still need to settle on the details of what they want the future to look like but I believe that will get there. Once the cleanup is done things will begin to progress and as time goes by accelerate. Give it a year or two and I think things will have dramatically changed.

What that will look like I have no idea. It will never be the old Lahaina again, but it will be a good place to go on vacation and my prediction is it will be a lot like the old Front Street in flavor but new in look. I hope that the new building codes will incorporate a vintage look or style with two or three-story limits on height as well as a similar width of the street to preserve the small town's main street feel.

We will see.

Back