Le Mans Classic 2008 11-12-13th July 2008

Malcolm

Supporter
Going back through the posts, is it generally accepted that we need a tie but not a jacket to meet dress code regs?

Malcolm,

On the press "accreditation confirmation" it is stated: Dress Code - No jeans - smart casual.

In French it states: Nous vous rappelons que la tenue vestimentaire des paddock est "chic décontractée"

John

Malcolm,

In French it states: Nous vous rappelons que la tenue vestimentaire des paddock est "chic décontractée"

John

Just out of interest I ran the French through 'Babel fish' and it came up with this;

We remind to you that the appropriate dress of the bed is " knack relaxed " :stunned:

Are you sure this is the right forum ? I must admit I didn't want to turn up looking "Knack relaxed " !!! - One of the reasons I had AC fitted recently !!:laugh:

Slightly off topic. Do you get to thrash round the full circuit? If so I'll need to put this event in my 2010 diary.

Gary

I wouldn't go so far as to say 'Thrash' as it's unlikely that you'll get a clear track ahead of you. The whole circuit yes and a couple of laps if it's anything like 2006. By lap 2 the faster cars are starting to sort themseves out and you'll have a little more space.
This is a new experience for many and so the lane discipline is not always perfect so you need to be aware.
But, to be able to say that you've driven the full LM24h circuit, at speed, is a rare privelige - I had a grin on my face that lasted a month :shy:
As I crossed the start line I recall saying to my passenger "This is a life's dream realised" his response was "Yeah but I bet Steve McQueen never had a traffic Jam!" shortly after this we went under the Dunlop bridge at over 40mph ! It did get a lot, lot faster later though and was great fun.
One of life's 'must-dos'.:thumbsup:
There are plenty of vids posted on "U-bend" that show in-car footage of the parade laps - definitely worth a peek.
John

Last edited:
Track Time
I have just received confirmation that track time for our members will be Saturday 12th at 9.05 a.m. All cars MUST be located in the Club display area by 8.00 a.m latest with relevant bar coded 'Tour de Piste' label clearly affixed in the bottom left corner of the windscreen. If your car does not display this label you will not be allowed out on the circuit. To get your car into the Club Area you will also need to clearly display the 'Club Ford' label in the windscreen.
If you don't have the relevant labels DO NOT TRY TO ACCESS THE CLUB DISPLAY AREA OR THE CIRCUIT, you may cause our members to miss the allocated track time.

Remember- This is not a race, drive carefully take into consideration the other cars in our group-no accidents please!

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
and watch out fur maniac lambo drivers :D

First time I was there (2004) I think it was a maniac in a Jensen Interceptor who nearly caused a mass pile up at the first chicane when they came charging down through the middle of everyone and realised almost too late that they were actually braking for the chicane - lots of blue tyre smoke, but no serious damage (I think). I'm sure I have an in car (passenger) video clip of this.

Last time I just stayed well at the back then had clear track once everyone else had disappeared. Unfortunately this was actually due to technical problems, not strategic planning!

Max

Unfortunately this was actually due to technical problems, not strategic planning!
Max
Precisely what happened to me at Donnington Park 3 months later when the (several lap) parade was behind a very pedestrian pace-car. I thought I'd hang back for some clear space and give it some beans when the LH valve cover gasket slipped and oil sprayed onto the exhaust - the cockpit filled with smoke & I thought I was on fire for a dreadful moment. The rest of the lap was off the racing line at a crawl - oh well.
Dennis Norden would have summed it up perfectly.:shy:
John
See you at the ferry terminal on the Thursday morning - hope your AC is working OK now.

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
See you at the ferry terminal on the Thursday morning - hope your AC is working OK now.

Meant to email you again - you definitely sticking with your original plans then & not going taking my offer of staying over?

AC should be ok once it is recharged - scheduled for this Sat a.m.

Max

Max,
Yep, it just makes for an quieter ride down traffic-wise, but many thanks for the offer of your hospitality. I'll just need to have an early night, load up with Red Bull and a few coffees on the Ferry and i'll be flying to LeMans :thumbsup:
Any thoughts about a suitable route from Cherbourg yet ? Last time i took the fastest one and thought it may be a better alternative to look for a more 'entertaining' route, whadyathink?
I'll be taking my satnav with me so between us, and TomTom we should be able to come up with something.
John

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
John,

I'll be in contact via personal email/phone, and leave this forum for general discussions.

Cheers,

Max

So "Track Time" is a couple of parade laps rather than a track day.

Is this track time just for GT40 owners or can anyone with a sports car join in?

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
So "Track Time" is a couple of parade laps rather than a track day.

Is this track time just for GT40 owners or can anyone with a sports car join in?

do a search on boobtube for "le mans classic 2006" - there are lots of in-car videos that will show you what it is like.

I would recommend anyone who is travelling to Le Mans Classic check that the motor insurance cover you have, properly covers you. This is especially important for those who intend to do the "parade laps" Your intepretation of the cover afforded by the Motor Policy might not be the same as that of the Insurance Company/ Underwriters etc. Best to check first rather than have problems later I'd say.

Back