leaving public service

Steve

Supporter
Jeff,

Jeff,

If a thread is crap, let the crapposters have at it. Not overtly disagreeing by no means indicates you (or anyone else) agree. If someone is full of it, the best way for that to be obvious to everyone is to let them keep posting. That's far more effective than trying to call them out as lunatics. When you do that, you become the offender by making a personal attack and the attention is diverted to the hostility you're generating rather than the potential idiocy of the thread itself.

What does being white have to do with anything?

I'll pick you up at the Minneapolis/StPaul airport anytime you want to call me an idiot. Just name it. If I'm lucky, I might have a GT40 by that time.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
No, the problem with silence is then the Board continues to carry the appearance of being a place where reactionary, offensive political posts are the norm and everyone agrees with them. I took that route for a while, but not any more.

And when posting an opposing viewpoint -- even if done with sarcasm or some vociferousness - is viewed as generating hostility, then that just highlights my point.

The thing is, I don't want to call you an idiot or discuss politics with you. I wish we'd all keep that to ourselves. I'd pay to fly you down here to have a beer with me if you'd like, so long as we don't talk politicis. And let you haul ass around town in my 72 Charger or my M6. But if you started in with the politics, and said some of the things you said above, I'd call you an idiot and I'm no longer bashful about doing that.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Wow. I didn't mean to light the fuse on this one. I just thought that it was funny- you always hear about these blowhards leaving public office "to spend more time with their families". I thought the contrast between that and someone who admitted he wanted public office so he (or she) could spend LESS time with their family was entertaining- not that anyone is likely to be that honest, face it. And the idea that the family wouldn't want them back is even funnier.

Maybe there's a movie script in there someplace. Whaddya think? Is this going to be the idea that gets me the big fortoona, as the Fat Man would have said?

Back