License Plate Solutions

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah! No wonder no one can see it! ('Wasn't looking inside the clam!) I think I can see it thru the glare sanding more-or-less upright as opposed to laying semi-horizontal? Yes? No?

In any event, there's noooooooooo waaaaaaaaaaay that would pass muster here in Washington State!!!

TRUST ME!

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Yep that’s it standing up.
It will be alright got have a little luck!!

I tried running my Ford GT with its FRONT PLATE inside the car lying on the dashboard. 'Was EASY to see...but, nay nay!

A state trooper told me I had to mount it in the conventional manner since the glare from the windshield could 'blurrrrr' the letters/numbers on it for red light cameras and whatever else.

He was decent about it...'didn't give me a ticket...'just told me to fix it.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
WHUT th'???
For some reason THIS wouldn't post above:

I very respectfully informed him: "I'm sorry, Sir, but there's no way I'm going to drill holes in a $200K car just because some bureaucrat in Olympia says I HAVE to...would YOU?" He just smiled and said, "No. I wouldn't. Have a good day"...and that was that!

Hope you'll be as lucky!

WHUT th'???
For some reason THIS wouldn't post above:

I very respectfully informed him: "I'm sorry, Sir, but there's no way I'm going to drill holes in a $200K car just because some bureaucrat in Olympia says I HAVE to...would YOU?" He just smiled and said, "No. I wouldn't. Have a good day"...and that was that!

Hope you'll be as lucky!

Need all the luck I can get for sure!!
Sounds like a down to earth officer.

Lost front plate on my old 68 bronco four wheelin 2 days later got a ticket!
Go figure!!!

Reading this thread It occurred to me,....In case anyone wants to mount to or modify the rear grill but doesn't want to modify their good ones, I have a spare new pair I will part with if they are of help to anyone.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I'd be adverse to mounting a 'plate on the mesh. 'No way a 'plate mounted in that location would not block airflow.

JMPO OMV

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I'd be adverse to mounting a 'plate on the mesh. 'No way a 'plate mounted in that location would not block airflow.

JMPO OMV
You will find that the air exiting that area is WAY less then you think! I have done tuft tests and other tests and found most air is expelled under the car.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
You will find that the air exiting that area is WAY less then you think! I have done tuft tests and other tests and found most air is expelled under the car.

You would undoubtedly know far more about that than I, Rick ('not being a wise guy here)...but, I wouldn't be comfortable impeding the exit of any volume of heated air from the engine compartment of a mid-engine car regardless of how insignificant said volume may be. Especially when there are other suitable locations available to mount a 'plate that wouldn't.

'Just my $0.02. ;-)

Time and the temperature gauge will tell. As soon as we get above freezing and the salt is off the roads, I'll report back. Overheating is about the furthest thing from my mind right now. Brrrrr

Hi:

I put the license plate on my MKII on the mesh and positioned it such that it was on a part of the mesh which was aft of the inner fender-----I figured this was a relatively "dead air" zone, in which there was little or no airflow that would be impacted. Also, this would limit any air pushing the plate outward. No cooling problems or other issues, and I've driven the car about 900 miles in January since doing this. This is in Texas, on both I-10 and around Houston, where a number of days I went on drives were relatively warm (high 70s). I have been really pleasantly surprised by how cool the car runs thus far.

/s/ Chris

Agree... If you look at the gulf cars they have oil coolers with scoops that pull air from under the car at the back there. Very little air came out of these rear vents when I had my SPF.

Hi:

I put the license plate on my MKII on the mesh and positioned it such that it was on a part of the mesh which was aft of the inner fender-----I figured this was a relatively "dead air" zone, in which there was little or no airflow that would be impacted. Also, this would limit any air pushing the plate outward. No cooling problems or other issues, and I've driven the car about 900 miles in January since doing this. This is in Texas, on both I-10 and around Houston, where a number of days I went on drives were relatively warm (high 70s). I have been really pleasantly surprised by how cool the car runs thus far.

/s/ Chris
Whoops----need to apologize, here. I double checked this morning (on later thought last night something didn't seem quite right about my post earlier) and I don't have the plate behind any "inner fender" but on the mesh towards the center of the car to avoid road debris being thrown up by the tires. Still, there have not been any problems with cooling, debris etc. I just wanted to correct my mistake and apologize.

/s/ Chris

Howard Jones

Supporter
How about mounting it to the rear spoiler. This one on my GTD is not mounted to the body, only the spoiler. Looks like it should be there. Doesn't block anything because the top of the plate frame is higher than the body.

Attachments

• HPIM2259.JPG
    HPIM2259.JPG
    822.8 KB · Views: 372
Back