Lift Off!

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Another milestone reached... I fired the motor in the chassis. This thing is a weapon!
shocked.gif
A few minor drips and drops but nothing major.

Unfortunately my camera man had an itchy finger and we only have 4 seconds of digital video. Here is a Quicktime teaser clip...
Start Up!

More video to follow.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Neal, that sounds & looks great. We definitely need more - higher revs & some more of those flames would be real nice !!

Peter D.
grin.gif

Congrats, Neal. I read your post with a grin because, on Saturday May 24, after two years of work and waiting, I fired the motor in my Beck Lister replica for the first time. After adjusting the float level in the Barry Grant carb--a fountain of gasoline from the vent tube is pretty, but not exactly what I had in mind when the engine's running--she burst into life. I was astounded to note that the fuel and cooling systems--with all lines and hoses fabricated and installed by me--leaked nary a drop (aside from the float level, which was not set by me). That's the first (and undoubtedly the last) time that's happened, believe me. I just need to finish some wiring, install the shifter, bleed the clutch and brakes, and she'll be ready for a road test. Exciting stuff!

Continued good luck on your '40--

Sounds great!! Would you post your engine specs? Also, (and for comparison) some time ago, someone else had posted video of their (initial?) fire up. The car was up on stands looked to be in gear (the output flanges appeared to be spinning) and had its gauges temproraily mounted in a wooden dash...it sounded exceptionally nasty. I was wondering if the owner of that car would be willing to post the motor/cam specs.
Scott

Scott

[ May 27, 2003: Message edited by: Scott Buskerud ]

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Way to go Bob. I really like the Lister!

Scott, this is a 302 stroked to 347 w/ 10:1 compression. Heads are Trickflow ported by Total Engine Airflow. Cam is a Gordon Levy Racing spec'd grind by Isky. Weber 48IDAs from Pierce Manifolds.

Dyno details are here... http://home.attbi.com/~lemanswinner/dyno.htm

Back