LMC track time

Glenn M

Supporter
Had a fantastic time on track at Le Mans and I'd just like to say a huge thankyou to Ian for the colossal amount of time and energy which he put in to make it happen. I know that right down to the wire the ACO were giving him grief, so thankyou Ian, I for one really appreciate all your effort.

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I would just like to join Glenn on this and say a big thank you to Ian for organizing this for us all. I was never 100% convinced in the first place, then wanted to pull out for personal reasons (that later changed) but in the end we were there and did it, at the later time but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cheers,

Max (& Maxine)

Totally agree with Glen & Maxi,
Great event, it was not quite as advertised due to the last minute changes to the track time but Ian did a sterling job to organise it. I know the amount of trouble he went through to sort it and deserves our gratitude.
Some of the images of barrelling down the Mulsane in the company of much high octane equipment will live in my memory for a very long time.
Only regret is that for the last couple of laps I was driving a V7!
Well done Ian!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi all, ian did a fantastic job of organising the lap time on friday night, paul did i pass you on 8 or 7 cylinders lol, maxy boy will you send me that picture your wife said she had of me on the track ? also the saturday parade lap at 08:30 was empty when maxy boy, emile and i did the two laps. I spotted three bent cars on the friday night run panterra, new GT and cobra. was that the total carnage for the night ?
thanks again ian, can we do it again in two years time ?
Regads, Dick
p.s who dumped all the oil ? and all ferrari drivers must be coulor blind as they were the only ones overtaking on yellow flags! come on lets have some pictures or videos posted !

Ian,

``you made my dream come trough.When I was a young student , I watched the GT40s running at Le Mans on TV.I decided at that time I wanted to become a pilot and running at the 24H.Because of financial constrains I ran 24H for 10 years across Europe with motorbikes.
10 Years ago I bought my first GTD40.This year I ran like hell during 1H on the unique and famous track.I really took my kick and my engine as well during the last lap but will always remember this opportunity you gave us, incl my 2 spins at the Dunlop corner before one of our members, the latter I cannot wait to see on Youtub as it was filmed.

I strongly recommend the absents to subscribe in 2 years if this incredible experience will still remain.

My thanks
Fred

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Guys

Thanks for the kind words and actually yes up to a bout 2 hours prior to the run I was worried that it would fall at the last hurdle.

I believe there were a fair few problems
1) Ford Gt reversed into armco and bent right hand upper suspension arm and body damage
2) One GT40 replica hit by a Ferrari (who let them on the track?) Fiberglass damage tor left rear quarter
3) Fred - blown engine
4) John Snook - suspected run / spun engine bearings - hammered closed spark plug gap on no 8
5) One blown tyre (left rear) 1st lap at Arnarge
6) Glen overheated and pulled up

Eventually I believe we had about 40 minutes on track

Extreme pity about the oil slick - I never did find out what / who laid that but it seems to point towards one ofthe Panteras

Oh and my Dax did 5 brisk laps and ran faultlessly. Had to remove the windows prior to the event due to 38 celsius ambient and cooked my back in the process - Back of seat rests on bulkhead and mulkhead got to about 85 celsius and the cringles transmit the heat quite well! (Small modification needed)

My thanks to everyone for supporing the event and getting your cars there.

I also believe there were 60 GT40s in the our paddock at one stage on Friday along with 15 Ford GT's - presumably a world record!

Ian

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
maxy boy will you send me that picture your wife said she had of me on the track ? also the saturday parade lap at 08:30 was empty when maxy boy, emile and i did the two laps.

and all ferrari drivers must be coulor blind as they were the only ones overtaking on yellow flags! come on lets have some pictures or videos posted !

Dick,

Photos/video to come...

We only managed 4 laps on the Friday night as we were about 5th from the front when they called us back in again - harrumph! 20 seconds faster & we'd have had a 5th lap.

I noticed the colour blind Ferrari drivers too - I wonder if we have that on video...

Max

maxi boy/ian thanks for the info , look forward to seeing the pictures and videos, i think we got 6 laps richard has informed me today that i must of hit our camera with my helmet so all we recoded was the side of richards helmet and my tax disc holer! but we have the two laps recorded on the saturday, and apparently i am on motors tv just putting on my overalls. however iv'e not seen it yet so if someone has it recorded could they post me it ? so now i am not only infamous but famous lol !
regards, dick

Ian

My thanks also! It was my first LMC and although it was a concern that the time was getting late, the laps I did were just the most fantastic experience.
The run up to and through the grandstands at the end with the lights against the twilight ... unbelievable!! some kind people took flash photos; I felt like a rockstar.

Steve

I would like to endorse all the expressions of appreciation for Ian's efforts toward enabling the event to take place. We had a very enjoyable (albeit hot) time going round an iconic track in an iconic car. We were limited to 5000 rpm due to continuing problems with the EFI (didn't want to risk running too lean and melting a piston). We also braked early due to the brakes being an unknown quantity and not being all that impressive on the road. Despite these limitations (car and driver) we still managed to pass a number of cars. It was a pity that there were yellow flags on every lap - if it had just been GT40s I think the number of yellow flag incidents would have been much reduced. Also it was difficult to know when the track was no longer subject to yellow flag rules with it only becoming apparent when cars started going past - didn't want to break the rules and get black flagged. I found the circuit much more interesting than it appears on film and TV.

Son Tim filmed the whole session from the passenger seat using a hand held old DV tape Sony so the picture is a bit wobbly. However will try to post an edited version in due course. The camera timer said the session was just over 40 minutes, so we got our money's worth in the end.

Again, many thanks to Ian for making it all possible.

Chris

Agreed, well done Ian "El President" Anderson!
This was probably a one-off tracktime session in that not only did we get a decent bit of time out there - we also got in some dusk vs dark laps.
Here's my onboard footage - 45mins long!

MEGAVIDEO - I'm watching it

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Paul

Nice video. Lots of overtaking.

Speedo looks erratic. Open the pick up gap and it should fix it.

Thanks

Andy

Hi all, ian did a fantastic job of organising the lap time on friday night, paul did i pass you on 8 or 7 cylinders lol, maxy boy will you send me that picture your wife said she had of me on the track ? also the saturday parade lap at 08:30 was empty when maxy boy, emile and i did the two laps. I spotted three bent cars on the friday night run panterra, new GT and cobra. was that the total carnage for the night ?
thanks again ian, can we do it again in two years time ?
Regads, Dick
p.s who dumped all the oil ? and all ferrari drivers must be coulor blind as they were the only ones overtaking on yellow flags! come on lets have some pictures or videos posted !

Hi Dick,
I had a V7 when you passed me! :sad:
BTW you can see me quite slow on the RHS when Paul Walton passes me in his video.
Just after that PW seems to overtake a certain gulf coloured car.........thought you said no one overtook you? :surprised:

Thanks Ian for organising this wonderful weekend for us.It was my third lmc and with the friday track laps certainly the best and even the parade laps on saturday were really great.Also nice meeting a lot of people again.Ian it must have been a hell of a job to put this all together.I think nobody would say no when you decide to do it again in 2 years.Sincerely Emiel

hi paul,
yes i was passed by PW as you can see in the video, with the backfiring of my car the new carbs that were fitted to my car one week before we left for le mans, which left me with no top end power, not to make excuses but paul is a hell of a driver now , and I must congratulate him on his improvement in track driving over the last few years. my comment to richard sitting at the side of me was WE ARE GONNA HAVE TO GET A F****** BIGGER ENGINE for 2012.
best regards,
Dick .

In my role of chairman of the GT40EC, I'd like to pass on my gratitude to Ian for all his hard work and patience for making the LMC 2010 so memorable. I hope everyone agrees the window stickers will act as a momento and increase the value of your 40s by £££s! Finally, a HUGE Northern thank you to Pete Townsend for finding me a helmet and squeezing me into his GT428 for Friday evening's track session... Andrew

I would like to add my thanks to all involved in sorting the Friday evening track time. Shame about the fluid that got deposited on the track which had me sideways around Arnage, just added to the fun really.

First part of video.

YouTube - Le-Mans 2010

Mike Pass

Supporter
My thanks also to everyone who organised the track time. That was really good fun and the memory is now burned into the ageing brain cells. I had a real good blast and it really doesn't get much better than hammering round Le Mans in your own GT40 as it gradually went dark. Nipping past the odd Ferrari (and Lambo, De Tomaso etc.) in an old Ford puts a special smile on your face. It also makes you realise how good the race drivers were and are still today.
Fantastic experience - thank you all so much.
Cheers
Mike

Back