LMP Can Am M1C build thread

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
The discussion of chassis design and stiffness is all very interesting but this is aftera all Joe's build thread, and we normally restrict those to discussion of the individual build process itself.

Joe -- any more progress or pictures?

My progress has been relatively non existent as of late. I have moved from New York City back to Redondo Beach, CA and also took on a lateral move in my industry. This has kept me pretty busy and at 42 years old, even a slight reinvention of myself has taken effort. I have welcomed the challenge.

Since moving back I have however, been vetting builders to complete projects that I prefer to trust to others and in so doing have met some great enthusiasts and mechanics/fabricators here in Los Angeles. Plumbing (both oil and gas) I am going to farm out due to the volatility of the fluid being transferred and the cost of fittings and hose. I would rather learn as I go with bits of electrical wire than -12 braided hose.

I have included photos of a trial fitting of the dry sump/Oberg filter with one of the oil cooler brackets in the foreground. Also included is a detail photo of the craftsmanship and fabrication of the chassis along with the trial fitting of the pedal kit. Laser cut and hand TIG'd. Good stuff.

Thanks again for your interest.

Attachments

• IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_0241.jpg
    IMG_0241.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 315

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Joe,

Thanks for the update, I for one am very interested in this build, the early McLarens.....well actually all McLarens are loved by me!

I bet the M1C will be much happier in Redondo Beach:)

Please keep the photos coming

Last edited:
Thanks Jim, despite my relatively young age, the shape of the McLarens were what I first remembered as a proper race car. Stefan, the car is in my trailer at a storage facility, part of the reason I am not getting much done. Don't know if that is worth your time. I will get it into my garage soon, maybe then you can take a gander.

I remember I did get one task done, besides looking up part numbers and spec'ing shocks and other doo dads. I got some take off race rubber from Roger Kraus and friends. The size of these tires embodies the seriousness of the intent of the car and exemplifies what had to be done before ground effects were introduced to get a car to stick to the road.

Crummy photo included shows the size of the rears compared to a size 13 shoe.

Attachments

• IMG_0616.jpg
    IMG_0616.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 284
Since you're back in So. Cal. now. You might want to talk to Grahm Collins at Collins Race Car Restoration in Santa Anna. I'm not sure if he sold his Dad's (after passing)M8F that was at the shop. They work on all kinds of McLarens & Lolas etc. You might want to take a run out to Fontanna this weekend too. The combined VARA & HSR races are out there this weekend. I believe this is their "Big Bore Bash". There might be some McLarens or Lolas there to take a look at & talk to the owners.
Mike S

Back