Lola T70 Continuation Gallery

There's a new gallery of the prototype continuation series T70 MKIIIB on the Lola Heritage site. I was lucky enough to sit in this car at Lola a few weeks ago and it was some experience, just standing still. There's some original stuff on it pending development of remanufactured parts. Groovy baby!

Lola T70 MKIIIB continuation series gallery

news4b.jpg

Cheers.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Doesn't look quite as NEW as a NEW one should...but its bloody lovely all the same......what colour is yours going to be Rob????

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Ooooh yeaah! wouldn't that look good in 'our' garage Pete--Ricoh Racing,the fastest printers in the business--perhaps? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
what colour is yours going to be Rob????

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha Ha Fran. I wish! Now where DID I put that lotto ticket????

Ron Earp

Admin
Very pretty car and looks really nicely done. The bodies, real, replica, continuation, etc. are very unique and look somewhat complicated to fit. But they've got a pleasing shape. How much are these continuation coupes?

Ron

Hi Ron

From memory they are UK250K. I wrote to Lola fresh out of school (circa 1981) and asked if they had any continuation plans for the MkIII. They said they had lost a lot of the original drawings, but had recently done a run of Mk3Bs. Price? UK25K less engine gearbox and VAT! Inflation will get you every time....

Ron Earp

Admin
roclery said:
Hi Ron

From memory they are UK250K. I wrote to Lola fresh out of school (circa 1981) and asked if they had any continuation plans for the MkIII. They said they had lost a lot of the original drawings, but had recently done a run of Mk3Bs. Price? UK25K less engine gearbox and VAT! Inflation will get you every time....

I don't think that is inflation, I believe that is called greed. When the market is there, the supplier will charge what the market will bear. Sort of like Mr. Shelby and the replicas, he wasn't interested at all in the 80s when asked about them, in fact he was flattered. That all changed a few years ago.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Keith,

the Mk3 has far more steel in the chassis than the 3b. and is more akin to the Mk2 spider chassis.

The 3b chassis is basically a Can Am chassis. T163.

They really only share the name as an easy way for Lola to get homologation for the 3b.

Dont forget that the 3b has an extra pair of headlights.....and a bigger rear spoiler....

The rear wheels are 17" wide on a MK IIIb 3b vs. 10" or at most 12 " on a MK III, while the fronts might be 12" vs. 8".
The MK 3b is heavier though at 1850 lbs than the MK III at 1700 which is in turn heavier than the MK II which weighs under 1600 lbs and with a Gurney Weslake only 1560.

Keith

I'm obliged to you gentlemen. So, apart from the headlights and larger spoiler, visually, the III and IIB are similar in appearence?

They are similar...but enough differences to make them easily distinguishable
from each other. Among the differences are the doors...gull wing (MK III) vs
front hinged (MK IIIb). The gull wing look cool...but IMHO not as user friendly.

MikeD

Hi Ron

Greed indeed, or just supply and demand if they got the pricing right - does anyone know if they sold the entire run? It was too late at night to convey the tone I was thinking when I mentioned infaltion.

Hi Keith
The Mk3B monocoque was more competent that the MkIII, and the bodyshell generated a lot more downforce by having a lower nose profile, slightly smaller side air intakes and a larger moulded in rear spoiler.

Visually, I prefer the cleaner, more elegant MkIII. Joe T is building a beautiful MkIII. The 3B looks much more aggressive, and it would seem is favoured by the hugely talented Messrs Fran Hall and Daytona Bill, Mike Dozier and other builders on the forum. Now that I think about it, RCR, GTD and Marauder (have I missed anyone) all did 3B replicas. Is the MkIII that much less popular?

2 X MkIII photos and one photo of a red and a blue Mk3B. Fran also has some photos his website. If you really want to know about the differences between the models, I highly recommend John Starkey's books.

Attachments

• lola1.jpg
    lola1.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,391
  • MkIII Rear.jpg
    MkIII Rear.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,483
  • Red and Blue Lola.jpg
    Red and Blue Lola.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,505
oh, and a phone qualtity photo of my 1:12 MkIII with my dog, Spike. I had to make it into a Targa so Spike could see out.

Attachments

• 24-10-06_1545.jpg
    24-10-06_1545.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,332

Ron Earp

Admin
I like the MKIII as it is more reminiscent of the multilple spider front shapes with lots of "swoopyness" going on. I agree with you that the IIIB looks more aggressive with the nose area and the flats sections on top of the wheel arches. I'd hazard to guess you can see better out of a IIIB due to that.

Back