Looking for hole to stick my oil in!

Hey guys, I have an Audi O1E 6 speed and can't find the filler hole for the gear oil to put oil in gearbox. May be a dumb question but I dont want to be pulling nuts and plugs off for no reason. Can you help?

Thanks
Bob.

Bobski said:
Hey guys, I have an Audi O1E 6 speed and can't find the filler hole for the gear oil to put oil in gearbox. May be a dumb question but I dont want to be pulling nuts and plugs off for no reason. Can you help?

Thanks
Bob.

Bob,

Here's a photo of where the fill plug is located. It's just ahead of the drive flange on the diff. side cover on the left side of the gearbox.

Andy

Attachments

• 01E5.JPG
    01E5.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 579

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Any response would be welcome.... Is the pointer in the photo above where the fill hole is?

Ron Earp

Admin
That is it I'm pretty sure. About the same location as on a 016. On the 016 it is on the other side and not on the removable side cover, but it is about the same relative location.

Have you located the drain? And is there a similar plug on the other side by chance?

I believe that's it, there is no similar plug on the other side and that bolt shown on the photo is the same as the drain plug on the bottom of the box.

Bob.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Anyone know exactly how much oil these boxes take? I've managed 2 litres ( a little over half a US gallon) before it starts to leak out the side.
I can only assume that this is all it will take..... The oil I'm using is Castrol Syntrax.

Cheers

Bill.

Hey Bill,

Thats all that I managed to put in. When I got my box reconditioned with the Duife diff, the guy told me that they should take 2.5L to 2.7L of oil. (He does a lot of race boxes for the VW race teams)I figgured after some
amount of operation, the oil would spread and allow for additional oil. Also as the box is leanning front down, jack the front of the car up to lever the box.

Bob

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I just want to make a general statement about manual transaxles, inverted or "right side up", and fluid levels:

For normal street use, the critical lubrication issue is providing enough oil to lubricate the differential. For the gearsets and the R&P/CWP, if there is enough gear lube for the gears to touch, the sling oil will keep things well lubricated; again, in normal street use. In the pictures below, filling to the drain plug just ahead of the output flange would insure a high enough level that the diff would be scooping into it and keeping it well lubricated. For inverted Porsche transaxles, it has been suggested to me that one of the output flanges should be loosened enough to break the seal and the transaxle filled until gear lube was seen to leak from the output flange. This would be basically equivalent to filling to the drain plug seen below in the Audi/Getrag transaxle.

Back