Looking to buy

Hi I am new to this forum.my reason for joining is to find the car I am looking for.
I own several cars and the GT40 has been a very elusive car, at least the spec I am looking for. I know they are out there but finding one for sale built correctly to very high original standards is proving difficult.
I am looking for a GT40 MK2 already completed but not raced.
Must have's are:
Superformance
Left hand drive
427FE or 496FE (500+ to 600 hp) no modern engine enhancements.
5sp dogs leg 1st period correct transaxle.
Interior as close to original as possible.
Paint, gulf preferably, black, red, possible others. No gold no white.
Car must be USA based, I know you can import from other countries, but I just bought a viper ACR in Canada that was built in the USA and it still took a year to get it.
I'm not sure if I can post my email on this but I will try.
Thanks for any help on this or any leads. Feel free to pass on my email to anyone who may be able to assist.
Steve Guess.
[email protected]

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40S Steve. Good luck in your quest. It sure looks like you have done your homework and know what you want.

Regards Brian

Hi Steve,
Your FE engine requirement is probably the biggest stumbling block. If you won't accept a 427W stroker then you probably should swap the engine yourself or buy a new SPF roller.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to the forum.
your specs are a bit strange in my opinion.
MK2 with a FE should have a T44 transaxle, they are 4 speed not 5
Gulf colours were on MK1 cars

So overall I think your specs will be fairly unobtainable.

ian

Hi Steve,
Your FE engine requirement is probably the biggest stumbling block. If you won't accept a 427W stroker then you probably should swap the engine yourself or buy a new SPF roller.
I own a 65 Cobra with a 496fe and I have driven one with a 427w SB. The difference is massive. While I have not driven either in a GT40 I can't imagine them being even remotely the same car.

Welcome to the forum.
your specs are a bit strange in my opinion.
MK2 with a FE should have a T44 transaxle, they are 4 speed not 5
Gulf colours were on MK1 cars

So overall I think your specs will be fairly unobtainable.

ian
My preference on color would be Gulf even though it wouldn't have been stoke for the car but I'm not that stuck on that. I have a cobra with a 496fe and a top loader and it is a serious handful at best. My thought is that the 5sp would be more streetable than the 4sp.

I own a 65 Cobra with a 496fe and I have driven one with a 427w SB. The difference is massive. While I have not driven either in a GT40 I can't imagine them being even remotely the same car.
I'm not saying an FE and a Windsor are the same, but there are very, very few SPF's with an FE. This is unlike Cobras with many FE's available. This requirement along with your others is probably unobtanium in the used market.

I'm not saying an FE and a Windsor are the same, but there are very, very few SPF's with an FE. This is unlike Cobras with many FE's available. This requirement along with your others is probably unobtanium in the used market.
I find it odd that so many cobras are powered with the correct engine and gt40's are not. The fe price should be the same for both cars and there is no shortage of Fe's around. The gt is a far more expensive build and buy so I would be surprised if it's a financial reason. I figure the car I am looking for would be in the 250/300k range where as a Spf Fe cobra is in the 150k range. Where am I going wrong here?

I don't think it's a financial reason either. SPF markets their GT40 to be fitted with a Windsor commonly a Roush prepped one. An FE is a very tight fit especially at the firewall with an A/C compressor (obviously the race cars had no a/c). No one makes an crate FE already prepped to drop in an SPF. A very few owners have done their own FE's with appropriate pulleys, oil pan, and larger exhaust, but they are very few. If you want an FE you're probably going to have to buy anew roller and install one yourself. Nothing wrong with that- you just won't find what you're looking for in the used market.

A mkII in Gulf colours is imo a non match. But thats my opinion.
I am not a fan of these Gulf colours anyway as its to common & recognisable. It belongs to the widebody mk1 and not to tye early mk1's
FE, there are build full aluminium aftermarket FE blocks available these days which I would opt for.
FE is a great torque engine, but a boat ancor also which affects handling.
FE is a uge engine to shoehorn into most GT40's chassisframes. There's a challenge to do so. Its doable but it will take some skills

A mkII in Gulf colours is imo a non match. But thats my opinion.
I am not a fan of these Gulf colours anyway as its to common & recognisable. It belongs to the widebody mk1 and not to tye early mk1's
FE, there are build full aluminium aftermarket FE blocks available these days which I would opt for.
FE is a great torque engine, but a boat ancor also which affects handling.
FE is a uge engine to shoehorn into most GT40's chassisframes. There's a challenge to do so. Its doable but it will take some skills
I believe that the weight difference between an FE and a roush is about 125- 150lbs, hardly a boat anchor. The Spf website actually lists the FE as the recommended engine for their MK2. Tight fit yes but I have seen enough of these around to feel that it isn't an engineering feat.

Rick

Supporter
Hi I am new to this forum.my reason for joining is to find the car I am looking for.
I own several cars and the GT40 has been a very elusive car, at least the spec I am looking for. I know they are out there but finding one for sale built correctly to very high original standards is proving difficult.
I am looking for a GT40 MK2 already completed but not raced.
Must have's are:
Superformance
Left hand drive
427FE or 496FE (500+ to 600 hp) no modern engine enhancements.
5sp dogs leg 1st period correct transaxle.
Interior as close to original as possible.
Paint, gulf preferably, black, red, possible others. No gold no white.
Car must be USA based, I know you can import from other countries, but I just bought a viper ACR in Canada that was built in the USA and it still took a year to get it.
I'm not sure if I can post my email on this but I will try.
Thanks for any help on this or any leads. Feel free to pass on my email to anyone who may be able to assist.
Steve Guess.
[email protected]

I've seen this car a few years ago. It was immaculate, very well maintained.

1630004529783.png

I would contact Rick Muck, longtime SPF dealer at Time Machines Motorsports. He more than anyone on this forum would have the most knowledge of SPF MkII FE's built.

Rick

Supporter
Black works, is this a recent ad?

Yes its still available. Contact Race car locaters. I know you said no cars that have been raced but I can tell you whenever I saw this car on track it was treated like a parade lap, never anywhere close to the front.

Race Car Locators, LLC.

10129 N Larchwood St. Spokane WA 99208. USA
+1.15098682034

Black works, is this a recent ad?
I just called, seems promising, he is sending more information. It is a zf 4sp car, not sure how that stacks up against a t44. T44 problem is 91 mph in 1st and 151 mph in 2nd makes for a very tough street car. The link you sent is a broker so a lot more information is needed.
Thanks for the lead

Yes its still available. Contact Race car locaters. I know you said no cars that have been raced but I can tell you whenever I saw this car on track it was treated like a parade lap, never anywhere close to the front.

Race Car Locators, LLC.

10129 N Larchwood St. Spokane WA 99208. USA
+1.15098682034
What's the value in your opinion?

Back