Manufacturer advice.

First post and apologies for asking something which must be on here somewhere but being new to the forum and the various manufactures I'm hoping someone can give me a push in the right direction - I am from the UK.

I have always loved the GT40 and often thought it would be nice to build or buy one of the replicas. Years ago I remember some of the GT40 kits were produced by KVA (I think) from what I understand the early chassis for these cars was questionable but were improved over time.

The next manufacturer I was aware of was GTD (?) Which I believe was based on the KVA but with a further improved chassis ? It now seems that in the UK at least the manufactures are Tornado and Southern GT?

I was wondering if buying an unfinished project might be an option and therefore was wondering if there are any manufacturers that are considered superior or mor importantly be avoided?

obviously I would want to have the best car possible but not having unlimited funds would probably prefer if possible building something that could be used but capable of being improved.

Thanks
Lee

Thinking maybe the Tornado kit might be the way to go, possibly the basic kit with the rolling chassis upgrade?

there site says it takes around 350 hours to complete (no doubt a lot longer for me) starting at with a rolling chassis what sort of reduction could be expected?

So it seems both Tornado and Southern GT are able to provide "kits" at various levels of completion. Have sent a message to both (so far only SGT have responded) so probably leaning towards them at the moment.

Just wanting to start at a place where completion is likely!

My plan would be to have something that looked "correct" and fairly "period" to the average person running a ford v8. with reasonable power nothing crazy, so was assuming renault box would be ok? But have seen there is an audi option?

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
I have seen a few Tornado's and all have been vary nice builds. I have not seen any Southeren GT's in person but from what I have read on this site they are very comparable to the Tornado in construction and service. I believe that both companies are responsive to their customers and offer a good product. I have bought parts from Tornado for my RCR and they have always been prompt with their service.

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Just a note, you will have to edit your name, as per rule "2. Use Your Real Name: If you have signed up with some sort of “handle” go to your User Control Panel (User CP link in the menu bar) and change your Public Name under “Edit Your Details” to your real name. GT40s.com does not support user handles, you need to use the name your mother gave you, not a nickname. We don't care how long you've been using your nickname. Only one registration per real person, we use login IP addresses and other means to determine "multiple personalities". We wish to know who we’re talking to and who is accountable for their posts on the forum. GT40s.com reserves the right to ban users at any time, for any reason. Hint, the answer to the registration question is Real Name"

Just a note, you will have to edit your name, as per rule "2. Use Your Real Name: If you have signed up with some sort of “handle” go to your User Control Panel (User CP link in the menu bar) and change your Public Name under “Edit Your Details” to your real name. GT40s.com does not support user handles, you need to use the name your mother gave you, not a nickname. We don't care how long you've been using your nickname. Only one registration per real person, we use login IP addresses and other means to determine "multiple personalities". We wish to know who we’re talking to and who is accountable for their posts on the forum. GT40s.com reserves the right to ban users at any time, for any reason. Hint, the answer to the registration question is Real Name"
Appologies - to be honest when I read the instructions I understood the t
Appologies - to be honest i understood not to use "toofast4u" ets but read it that it should close and relative to my true name and mistakingly assumed my initials would be ok!

20180713_172931 (1).jpg

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Lee

Welcome to the mad world ofGT40s
You mention you are from the U.K. so perhaps I can make a suggestion.
Check out the GT40 Enthusiasts web site, and you will probably find there is a meeting near you and perhaps you can see some of the cars up close and talk to the owners.

If not post your location and see what comes out the woodwork on this site.

If anywhere near Edinburgh I have one in the garage!

Ian

Lee

Welcome to the mad world ofGT40s
You mention you are from the U.K. so perhaps I can make a suggestion.
Check out the GT40 Enthusiasts web site, and you will probably find there is a meeting near you and perhaps you can see some of the cars up close and talk to the owners.

If not post your location and see what comes out the woodwork on this site.

If anywhere near Edinburgh I have one in the garage!

Ian
Will take a look thanks.
I am from SE London / North Kent so quite a way from Edinburgh unfortunately.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Oh I used to live near Heathrow so a drive round the M25 for a bite in the evening happened a good few times.

My regular meeting was the Surrey one! the Kent group made it round regularly to hew the fat

Ian

Shaun

Supporter
Hi Lee
Like the others say welcome to the mad world of GT40's!! Just starting my Southern GT build and so far (early days) its been top, the team down there are really helpful and its a proper engineering setup. also lucky in the south as there are some great people to help and also those that have or are building. For me location of the supplier had a bearing and that with the research I chose SGT, probably not out of placing saying its a choice of the two in the UK, well was for me.
I will be adding some more build diary updates, just been sorting what panels go where, it is somewhat of a large jigsaw with no box to look at but frankly that is part of the fun, want it easy (er) , grab a Cobra (which was my second choice) but if you want to be in quite a small 'club' then its GT all the way
Cheers

Hi Lee
Like the others say welcome to the mad world of GT40's!! Just starting my Southern GT build and so far (early days) its been top, the team down there are really helpful and its a proper engineering setup. also lucky in the south as there are some great people to help and also those that have or are building. For me location of the supplier had a bearing and that with the research I chose SGT, probably not out of placing saying its a choice of the two in the UK, well was for me.
I will be adding some more build diary updates, just been sorting what panels go where, it is somewhat of a large jigsaw with no box to look at but frankly that is part of the fun, want it easy (er) , grab a Cobra (which was my second choice) but if you want to be in quite a small 'club' then its GT all the way
Cheers
Thanks - I look forward to foolowing the build on here.

Hi Lee,
I have been building up my GTD (SGT back end for many many years now). I'm just by the M25/A13 junction if you ever want to have a look/ask advice.

Brett

Back