Mark B's Build Thread

Mark B.

Supporter
Thanks, Del! Great idea adding a USB port right there. Ill definitely do that next time i have it apart.
My rear/side/front camera setup has an SD card that is always recording all 4 cameras, so fortunately I'm set for that part.

Mark B.

Supporter
Update: I had to pull the pan (again) to fix a persistent leak with on of my AN fittings that got damaged when I installed the pan. I used Koul Tools fitting fixer tool which was pretty expensive for what it is ($80), but worked very well. While I was in there I decided to make a removable section for the crossmember for NEXT time I have to pull the pan :) . I also installed underbody panels out of 1/32 aluminum to close out the engine compartment and a bit by the front wheels to smooth out airflow. I did quite a bit of driving over the weekend and temps (coolant, oil, and engine compartment) are all unchanged from before the closeout panels. Track will be the real test though.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Cool video!
Do yourself a favor. Before you put it in gear and let the clutch out, make sure your harness is super snug and give a couple of tugs on that removeable steering wheel…. Mine popped loose once as I pulled out on the race track. Just happy that it happened before the green flag was dropped!

Mark B.

Supporter
So what do you do when you want to start wringing out a freshly built car before spending a lot of money for a track day (and potentially wasting time/money dealing with teething pains)? You go drag racing, of course:p! I found a small drag strip about an hour north of Austin (Little River Dragway). Test and tune night last night -- I was able to get 6 or 7 runs in before it started getting crowded (and my kids started complaining) so we headed home.
  1. Car made for turns, not drag racing? Check!
  2. Never took it above 70MPH or had it at WOT (except on dyno)? Check!
  3. 9-year-old hard-as-a-rock street tires. Check! (no sense melting new tires since this was just for fun/testing)
  4. 20+ years since the last time I drag raced? Check!
I took it very easy on the first few runs, letting off well before 1/4 mile to ease in to it. I was originally going to shift at 6K (peak power is 7800) but this thing revs so fast I gave up and just wound it out almost every shift. I did notice after a few runs it started not wanting to go in to 2nd so I definitely need to bleed the clutch again. fortunately no other issues other than crappy traction even after 2nd gear burnouts. I'm so happy with how well this thing handles with no traction -- no wandering or loss of control, it just goes straight with the rear tires spinning. I thought it was going to scare the crap out of me, but after the first few runs, it was just a blast -- the only fear was at the end remembering what manual brakes feel like at speed:eek:. I definitely need to get the rear inner fenders in -- spent all morning cleaning gravel and rubber bits out of the engine compartment.

And Randy V, I remembered your above advice each time I got in the car :D.

I never once had a good launch thanks to my poor launching skills and crappy tires, but it was still a lot of fun.

My best time was 11.2204 @ 134.45 MPH with a 1.8882 60-foot time. I had one other run at 11.5712 @ 135.5 MPH.

Captured some videos which I'll edit together and post in the next day or two.
1653772160196.jpeg

Neil

Supporter
MarkB;

Congratulations on making those test runs at a local drag strip. It is a fun thing to do but don't push it too hard- remember you are risking a very expensive transaxle by "launching" your car. A more suitable venue for testing your car would be a mile or half-mile event such as the Texas Mile. Getting off the line is less important so you can take it easier to your transaxle.

Another possibility is to enter it in the "150 Club" during the "Test and Tune" in July or "World of Speed" at Bonneville in September. You can run 2+ miles as long as you don't exceed 159.999 mph. That's the limit in this class. I'll post a link. This is what I ran last September and posted those videos here on GT40s.com. The only disadvantage is that you get salt on your car. On the other hand, how many other guys drove a car they built themselves on the legendary Bonneville Salt Flats? Then check off one bucket list item. :)

Joel K

Supporter
Great video Mark and congrats getting your SLC on the road. That third run the car launched really well. Looking forward to your additional road and track reports.

Great videos! I’m glad to hear no failures. What red line are you set at. My LS3 376/480 doesn’t rev like that. Sounds great!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks! Redline is 8200. I've always loved high-revving small blocks and the gearing on the Graziano gave me a good excuse to build a solid-roller cam engine :)

I’m sure you don’t twist it that tight regularly, but I would make sure you budget for periodic valve spring replacements with revs like that…

Mark B.

Supporter
Brief update: I signed up for the Texas Mile in October to stretch her legs a bit more. Just ordered a set of Nitto NT01s as well to get ready for track days.
Other than that, I found out that apparently my battery was a little too close to the headers and melted one of the corners, so I added a heat shield. Now I'm getting ready to do some test pieces in carbon fiber so I can fabricate the radiator ducts. The whole easy-bake-oven on my feet thing because of the air ducting on the footbox is getting really old!

Howard Jones

Supporter
Mark, You're in Austin or thereabouts? I'm right down the I35 in New Braunfels. We should get together and have a beer or two. I sent you my ph# via PM.

Mark B.

Supporter
Hery guys, it's been a while since my last update so here goes...

I brought the car out to the Texas Mile last weekend and it held together pretty well. I actually brought it there in October, but had a major pucker-moment a little over 150 when the front splitter brackets broke which left it nosing in to the pavement (still attached at the rear). I swear I thought I lost a tire or something with how much the car shook. Nearest I could figure is because my brake ducts weren't attached, they were feeding in to the nose, which built pressure in front of the inner fenders over the splitter. Fortunately the damage wasn't that bad and I was able to make new brackets.

So I came back to redeem myself...

On my first run, Saturday evening (got there late) I was going to just do an easy run, but as I built speed the car felt great so I just kept going and made my best run of the weekend: 187.3. That was enough to win the "Naturally Aspirated, RWD, Manual Trans" class. I did 3 or 4 more runs on Sunday, but only managed a best of 175.8 that day (very humid with different wind - everyone was running slower).

One of the cooler things was there were two 2023 Corvette Z06's there. A red one with a best run of 175.5 and a grey one with a best of 182.0.

Frank was there as well with his TT Toyota-powered SLC. Unfortunately I got there too late in the day to see him run, but had a chance to chat and check his car out -- great guy!

Overall I was very happy with how the car performed, handled at speed. It kept planted and temps stayed cool.

Here's the obligatory video:

Mark B.

Supporter
That looked exciting! What a blast. Is this still the 675 hp LS7? Never stopped pulling.
Thanks guys! Yes it's the same motor. I have stock gearing in the Graziano transaxle so theoretical top speed is 204 MPH (8200 RPM in 6th). I'm pretty sure it would do that no problem, but need more room :)

Back