Mason’s Build: Superlite SLC

Wow, exciting day and the first step of a long journey. I won the auction for a Superlite SLC Kit on EBay that is located near Roanoke, Virginia.

It is a green or navy blue 2014 SLC with race tail and a full cage with side impact bars.

The kit is a non-roller in pieces with no suspension attached.

Is there anyone near Roanoke who could do an inspection of the kit and it’s pieces before I have it shipped? Also any recommendations on shipping a car that is in pieces?

Please DM me.

4A8D0497-D40B-4AB0-9FD6-8FFBAC67855F.jpeg
FE199F9B-DD0A-4B11-A79B-0A348431F097.jpeg
3A6FC54B-845D-4B38-95A0-F6B0A6086031.jpeg
FCF1423E-3D73-4A16-A982-B8A7A2E629D9.jpeg
023D5E36-496D-4B9F-B01C-64FB997C58A6.jpeg
15BD25EC-1D45-4281-B7AE-CFE2856FB257.jpeg
05BB99B5-EEB1-498A-A20B-11665E633CFC.jpeg
9F92FF01-D27D-4178-8E52-4E23842B2890.jpeg

Getting some initial quotes today from shippers, will talk to seller today about how much he is willing to assist in getting it packed.

Interesting to see the evolution of bits as the years pass. Wonder what the mod to the center spine was for? Hopefully you will be able to make or buy the missing components (from the pictures it seems there likely will be missing items)

Hyder - Thanks! The Washington SLC club grows by one! The plan is to use the BMW S85 V10 like Dani, which means changes to the chassis and rollcage to accomodate the longer engine. Can't wait to get a ride in your SLC!

Mesa - For sure there are some bits I will need from Fran, this build is already missing the AC unit and other items I would like such as the vents front and rear.

I'm getting quotes from crating services to get everything packed and on a truck by next week.

Mason, you probably know this, but that taillight in the box isn't correct for the SLC. It won't fit without substantial mods, anyway.

Good luck with the build. It's clear this specific car was meant to be a track or race car!

Interesting to see the evolution of bits as the years pass. Wonder what the mod to the center spine was for? Hopefully you will be able to make or buy the missing components (from the pictures it seems there likely will be missing items)

I've seen (or at least I think I've seen) several cars with a very wide center spline. Not sure why either.

Will - Yep those taillights look random. Haven't received confirmation on stock lighting yet.
Alex - Hmm, that center beam is strangely wide, hopefully it does not affect my ability to put in Tillet seats. I wonder if I can use the stock interior liner.
Del - Thanks! Can't wait to get her home!

Not having an AC could be actually be beneficial, check Scott's build for a good small AC unit option.
I seriously doubt you could use any passenger seat with that added center width, I'm thinking you'll have to cut it out (I don't think it was factory installed)

While waiting for my Superlite, I thought I would revisit my 3D model, add some missing details and play with different paint colors. This color is inspired by the Violet color on Jamiroquai's Diablo. Has anyone built a purple SLC? Shipper should be picking up the kit this week.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
THAT LOOKS SHARP!!!

'Might consider adding a gold 'centerline' stripe (pair of stripes?) to match/compliment the wheels? ;-)

I'm digging the violet color with gold wheels, that'd a hell of a combo! I don't believe I've seen a purple SLC yet.

I'm still weeks away from receiving my Superlite kit, and so I've been working on the digital model to experiment with colors and options.

I've uploaded my 3d model to Thingiverse for anyone who would like to make their own renders. This is for rendering and not setup for 3d printing at this time.

Attachments

• wireframeSLC.JPG
    wireframeSLC.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 1,059
I was hoping I could import the FBX into CAD to view it, but no luck. Doesn't recognize the FBX file, although it can import FBX. Looking forward to a 3D model down the road, just so I can print one to put on my desk at work.

Awesome work Mason, your skills are fantastic!

I was hoping I could import the FBX into CAD to view it, but no luck. Doesn't recognize the FBX file, although it can import FBX. Looking forward to a 3D model down the road, just so I can print one to put on my desk at work.

Try a polygonal modeler such as Blender or Meshmixer, both free. The model is not a parametric CAD model. But now that it is out there perhaps someone will create it!

Try a polygonal modeler such as Blender or Meshmixer, both free. The model is not a parametric CAD model. But now that it is out there perhaps someone will create it!

Makes sense why I couldn't import it then, although I may have figured it out last night. I was able to import the OBJ file into my XYZ program and it sliced it up ready to print. It was late so I didn't try to print it, but will tonight.

I also found XYZ has an online converter to STL and seems to convert it okay, but didn't try to load it yet.

If I get anything to work, I'll be glad to send it your way if you'd like to share your file.

Might be of interest:

Back