Master cylinder to supply hose fitting?

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Anyone know the size of the threads used on the hose fitting (male thread to barb) on our master cylinder supply lines. Is it 1/8 NPT?

I want to change over the remote resevoirs from the cans to Girling's plastic cannisters and AN4 braided PTFE hoses.

Are the fittings I need 1/8NPT male to 4AN male steel?

Appreciate the help.

Steve P2125

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Steve, what did you figure out with these? I am in need of the same info. Thanks

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Never mind I found this in one of your other threads. Thx!

Fittings @ the MC's are 7/16X20

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
What is the consensus here? The fitting on top is what SPF installed into the clutch master cylinder. It has nipple as well as teflon tape as well as a crush washer. Huh? I did not think one should use teflon tape in a braking system and it should seal with the nipple or the crush washer but not both. Thoughts? Seems like a mess to me to be put together like this. The fitting on the bottom is what Pegasus sent me. It has the crush washer and it seems like it should go back in with just that and no tape. What do you folks think? Thanks

IMAG0364.jpg

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
From the Pegasus site:

7/16-20 Male to 5/16" Hose Barb - Aluminum
This special aluminum fitting is made specifically for use on Girling and Lockheed remote master cylinders with 7/16-20 inlet port. Use this adapter when 5/16" ID rubber brake fluid hose is used for the inlet line from the reservoir instead of Aeroquip hose. Includes a copper crush washer to seal to the port face.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Teflon thread tape has only one place - when being used to seal pipe thread fittings.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I think I agree but I was surprised today to hear the Wllwood tech guy tell me that they use teflon thread sealant on all their assemblies...

I'm starting to consider just going braided steel and AN for everything. Have to fab a new reservoir mount but why do something twice if you're not happy the first time around?

TE72-577.JPG

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Under the hood in front of the evaporator. Right now I have a large double reservoir and am running rubber brake hose but am considering doing the triple or maybe a double of the CNC version Randy posted above and braided AN lines. I should driving the thing by now but everything just keeps dragging out.

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Under the hood in front of the evaporator. Right now I have a large double reservoir and am running rubber brake hose but am considering doing the triple or maybe a double of the CNC version Randy posted above and braided AN lines. I should driving the thing by now but everything just keeps dragging out.

I took mine apart and found rust and brake fluid everywhere...

Which way did you go in the end? The CNC triple or the Tilton triple?

And... to save me some time... did you order hoses that are premade at Pegasus or did you make them up yourself.

I'd sure appreciate the details, if you don't mind.

Thanks,
Kirby

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
It's a mess under there isn't it? I ended up going with the Tilton triple. What I did was mount everything up and then take measurements. Then I called Pegasus and had them make the braided lines that were then wrapped in heat shrink rubber so they would not scuff on the chassis paint. I took the bracket Olthoff made to hold the halon bottle and modified it to also serve as the mount point for the reservoir. This thread has some pictures. Let me know if I can answer anymore questions.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/superformance-gt40s/37706-brake-reservoir-update.html

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the info!

I have it all apart and cleaned things up. Shouldn't have to do that on a five year old car,right?

Kirby

It's a mess under there isn't it? I ended up going with the Tilton triple. What I did was mount everything up and then take measurements. Then I called Pegasus and had them make the braided lines that were then wrapped in heat shrink rubber so they would not scuff on the chassis paint. I took the bracket Olthoff made to hold the halon bottle and modified it to also serve as the mount point for the reservoir. This thread has some pictures. Let me know if I can answer anymore questions.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/superformance-gt40s/37706-brake-reservoir-update.html

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
So.... new question.

The threads on an AN3 are the same. Did you rationalize this in the end?
Was the Pegasus fitting what you needed?

Above, you say it's a 7/16"-20, but the threads on the fitting are 3/8".

It is certainly weird that they used an AN3 flare when it doesn't seem to be sealing on anything....

I picked up an AN3 to AN4 flare on both ends. I don't think this is what I want.
I need to get a 3/8"-24 x AN4 male.

Kirby

What is the consensus here? The fitting on top is what SPF installed into the clutch master cylinder. It has nipple as well as teflon tape as well as a crush washer. Huh? I did not think one should use teflon tape in a braking system and it should seal with the nipple or the crush washer but not both. Thoughts? Seems like a mess to me to be put together like this. The fitting on the bottom is what Pegasus sent me. It has the crush washer and it seems like it should go back in with just that and no tape. What do you folks think? Thanks

IMAG0364.jpg

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
The threads on my master cylinders are 7/16"-20 not 3/8". What threads are 3/8" on your car?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
If you intend to do it like mine I can give you my Pegasus build sheet with part numbers...

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
The threads on my master cylinders are 7/16"-20 not 3/8". What threads are 3/8" on your car?

My mistake.... The fitting on the 'T' coming off the master cylinders is a 3/8"-24. The flare you show in the picture above is an AN3 as far as I can tell.

I had it in my head that was what I needed. I haven't taken the 'T' that SPF put on the master cylinders off yet... I will most likely find that they are 7/16-20.

Regardless, I have to go back and get a different fitting(s).

Sorry about that!
Kirby

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
No worries. I got rid of the tee and just run three individual lines from each reservoir to each master cylinder. Let me dig up my invoice and I'll get you the part numbers you need tonight.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Pegasus part #s

1EA TE 72-577 (Tilton reservoir)
1EA 3260-4-INCH (Steel Braided PTFE Hose 73" total)
1EA 4019-001-375 (Raychem 3/8" Heat Shrink 7 feet)
3EA 3284-04 (4AN Right Angle Male to Female Swivel Alum)
3EA HE001-04P-000 (4AN Female Straight Steel)
3EA HE001-04P-090 (4AN Female 90 Degree Steel)

From the above materials they made the three lines 1 @ 21", 1 @ 24", 1 @ 29"

I seem to have misplaced the invoice showing the three 7/16"-20 4AN fittings steel and and copper crush washers for the master cylinders.

Back