May Niki Lauda rest in peace

The three-time Formula One world champion, Andreas Nikolaus "Niki" Lauda has died following kidney troubles at the age of 70. Niki was one of the great figures in Auto racing. Not only was he a great driver, he also was successful in pushing for driver safety.

Niki died too young. His kindney problems stemmed from a firey F1 crash in 1976.

Here is a good article on Niki -> http://flip.it/T0iyvr

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Surely one of the all-time great drivers in Motorsports History....
Rest in peace Niki!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Had some close encounters with Niki at the USGP when we used to be in the McLaren pits for the race (Bill Smith who was a partner in McLaren International at the time was a family friend) so had the chance to see him up close. Always seemed to be very intense. When my wife saw him after the accident she couldn't believe he was still driving much less still alive! I have some close up pictures I will find and post. In fact we should have a section for all motorsport photos that are our personal efforts, i.e. no posting Freidman, etc. I think it would be very interesting to see who was where and saw what?

Met Niki when he visited Boeing to buy his first 737. Long story about his dealings with Boeing. Shown is a picture of the two of us at the delivery of his first 737.

Cant get the pic to attach. Sorry

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
He
niki Lauda.jpg
D Hulme.jpg
Mario-Chunky.jpg
D Hulme.jpg
re is Niki from my Nikkormat. And some other USGP shots. I have some more of Mario, Chapman and Ronnie Peterson. Mario signed the one to me as a "thank you" for a print of Ronnie and Mario I gave him (A good friend is close to Mario) as Mario holds Ronnie in highest regards and has said he was the best team mate he ever had. Damon Hill signed the Graham print as a thank you for a copy for him as well. The Hulme photo was due to our access via McLaren and was taken on the grid at the USGP.
niki Lauda.jpg
niki Lauda.jpg
D Hulme.jpg
niki Lauda.jpg
Mario-Chunky.jpg
Mario-Chunky.jpg
D Hulme.jpg

Charlie Farley

Supporter
There's a really good documentary on the Lauda v Hunt affair, BBC I Player atm :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0377tb1/hunt-vs-lauda-f1s-greatest-racing-rivals

Some previously unseen footage and interviews with the contemporary Ferrari & McLaren team principals.
Plus interviews with family and some glorious footage of them both at the same after race parties..
A 70's period Stirling Moss interviews Hunt right after a race win, replete with huge sideburns asks Hunt " So what did it take to win that race ? "
Hunt replies " Big balls ! "

Back