Maybe a quick question

I'm considering building a SLC, and have tentatively decided on using a LS376/480. I have experience building/modifying racing motorcycles, and I've pulled the engine (multiple times) out of a '79 Triumph Spitfire I owned at one time. However, given my utter lack of knowledge, I am somewhat apprehensive when it comes to this project.

I've been gathering as much written information and photos of SLC projects, but the pickings are somewhat slim. I also bought the book "GM LS-Series Engines: The Complete Swap Manual", which has been helpful, but is obviously not SLC specific.

I will be visiting RCR very soon, and I'm hoping that Fran will shed some light on my dilemma.

I'm just wondering where everyone is getting their information regarding engine installation?

From what I've gathered, I will need the following (street car; no track time):

Of course, the engine.
Fuel pump (2 needed?)
Fuel regulator and two fuel filters.
Swirl pot.
ECU.
Harness.
Starter motor.
Flywheel.
Maybe an Accusump?
Surge tank and primary pump lines.
Alternator and belt.
Silicone lines for coolant line connections.
Modified water pump? Not sure what this entails.
Headers and exhaust.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Zoey, Post in your profile where you are in the US, at least the state, the city and state is better. It's hard to offer a look see when I have no idea where you are. 1000 miles away or 10 mins (it's happened).

Engine install is easy - bolt clutch and flywheel to engine, bolt engine to transaxle, bolt engine to 2 engine mounts, bolt transaxle to transaxle mounting points.

Done.

Fuel setup is fairly simple - just tank, 100 micron pre-filter, pump, 10 micron post-filter, regulator, engine

Your biggest decision really is the type of pump and regulator you want to use.

Putting in an engine into a kit car that was designed with it in mind is 1001x easier than trying to shoe-horn it into a Triumph, BMW, Porsche, etc... which never had it in mind.

Got your email Allan, and I'll try you later tonight.:thumbsup:

Howard: I'm from MN. I haven't bought an engine yet. Tentatively, it will be the LS376.

Alex: If I were to narrow down my angst to a singular topic, I would have to say that the electrical and peripheral engine parts top the list. I know virtually nothing about EFI.

Engine wiring is super simple....if you use the GM performance wiring harness the engine is a standalone project and you can be up and running same day... and the now standard ISIS system will make the whole vehicle wiring system very simple and easy...all harnesses are premade and labelled with very good instructions....

I know virtually nothing about EFI.

Neither do I, so..... :)

BraswellCarbs4.jpg

^:lol:

I've been on the board for for less than a month, but somehow I knew Alex would eventually post a photo of a carb in one of my threads. I just didn't think it would be so soon:D

Fran: Easy, as in "Even a mental midget like Zoey could do it"?:drunk: I plan on discussing ISIS with you very soon.

^:lol:

I've been on the board for for less than a month, but somehow I knew Alex would eventually post a photo of a carb in one of my threads. I just didn't think it would be so soon:D

Fran: Easy, as in "Even a mental midget like Zoey could do it"?:drunk: I plan on discussing ISIS with you very soon.

Easy as in even Alex could do it :drunk:

I've used it and it's predecessor (1+1 million relay). Both work great and are easy to use - having no electrical (auto) experience is even better because you don't have to try to wrap your brain around trying to undertsand the differences between this and normal wiring. For example, the "usual" way of wiring a fuel pump is with a relay. Here though, it's just 1 power wire from the unit to the pump, and ground the pump. Nice and simple (assuming pumps draws < 30amps, > 30amps you need a relay because that's the max isis can handle)

When I did my first wiring job, I didn't even know what it meant to strip&crimp a wire. Not a clue. But with this system I got everything up and running perfectly w/ 0 electrical problems to date.

Steve

Supporter
Ben/Zoey,

Where ya at in MN? I'm in Stillwater. Waiting to finish building my house (money pit) before I go for an SLC.

Steve

Alex: Allan was just telling me how incredibly easy it is to wire up these vehicles. Glad to know that you second his statement. I too hate wiring. I remember chopping the unnecessary wiring out of my race bike and it was a chore figuring out what was, and what wasn't to remain.

BTW, Allan is one heck of a nice guy to speak with, and is quite knowledgeable.

Steve: Hey neighbor (literally)! I'm just North of WBL. You do realize that, being we live so close to each other, we both can't own an SLC? So, I guess you will be building a 40 then?:wiseguy:

Alex: Allan was just telling me how incredibly easy it is to wire up these vehicles. Glad to know that you second his statement. I too hate wiring. I remember chopping the unnecessary wiring out of my race bike and it was a chore figuring out what was, and what wasn't to remain.

BTW, Allan is one heck of a nice guy to speak with, and is quite knowledgeable.

Steve: Hey neighbor (literally)! I'm just North of WBL. You do realize that, being we live so close to each other, we both can't own an SLC? So, I guess you will be building a 40 then?:wiseguy:

That's the great thing about building your own harness - no chopping and splicing. Build it exactly the way you want it the 1st go around.

I've experienced the pain of working with existing wiring. Many moons ago I did a frame-off restoration of a Triumph Spitfire. The previous owner must have taken a weed whacker to the wiring:furious:

Here's a couple photos of my wiring mess with the race bike. I pared it down to the bare minimum so I wouldn't need to deal with electrical issues at the track.

Last edited:
I've experienced the pain of working with existing wiring. Many moons ago I did a frame-off restoration of a Triumph Spitfire. The previous owner must have taken a weed whacker to the wiring:furious:

Here's a couple photos of my wiring mess with the race bike. I pared it down to the bare minimum so I wouldn't need to deal with electrical issues at the track.

Just remember, carb wiring:

fp4r-125.jpg

EFI wiring harness:

Assembly%205.jpg

Dun dun dun....pick your fate :)
(although, to be fair, efi harnesses are pretty much plug-and-play today and not voodoo magic you have to sort through, but still, I don't like 'em :) )

Chassis wiring harness is independent of efi or carb selection, so it doesn't count, plus the fact using and isis setup makes it easy-peasy ;)

In any event, as long as you arn't trying to do something super duper exotic with your wiring (although isis has one heck of a lot of custom functionality built into it - even moreso than OEM stuff!) you'll have no problem getting the hang of it - heck, I didn't even know what it meant to strip and crimp a wire the very first time I wired up my cobra!!!

Last edited:
:laugh::laugh:

Nothing exotic for me. I doubt that I will even put a stereo in it since I don't use the one in my daily driver. I always thought the exhaust noise was far better than anything on the radio.

Nothing really hard about wiring unless you use the same color for all your circuits lol.
but here is a really good tip ! once you have everything hooked up and tested, solder and heat shrink them, crimps will fail sooner or later and they look like shit.
Cheers,

Nothing really hard about wiring unless you use the same color for all your circuits lol.
but here is a really good tip ! once you have everything hooked up and tested, solder and heat shrink them, crimps will fail sooner or later and they look like shit.
Cheers,

I'm going to have to disagree with your last line - what I've learned from Chris (I^2 creator) that has served me well is that if you don't know how to solder properly (which I don't, hehe) soldering will cause failures much quicker than crimping.

As long as you use fully ratcheting crimpers and quality heat-shrink terminals ( Heat Shrinkable Terminals and Connectors - Waytek, Inc. ) your crimps should be strong and there's no way that wire is going to fail.

Well, I hate to disagree with both of you.......so I wont';)

Actually, I anticipate doing a combination of both.

Alex the connecters you are referring to, are good, and will work better than the straight crimp as you are glueing them together as well. I have used them myself in spots where I couldn't solder, and yes if you do not know how to solder then these would be your best choice, but there still is not replacement for a welded connection if done properly.

Back