Mclaren M8b replica (visual)

Well the big day is tomorrow when I drive the car out of the shed for the first time and take it to the Speed show where it will be on display with my other car alongside. Just got to make the two little window locks that fold down from the screen and align the screen and side window. The last two days have been spent building the wing which sits there just fine, very happy with how its worked out and it really looks the part. I feel comfortable in that what was only going to be for display, could easily been driven around.
Let the fun begin.
Cheers
Russell

Attachments

• DSCN0165.jpg
    DSCN0165.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 280
  • DSCN0166.jpg
    DSCN0166.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 283
  • DSCN0167.jpg
    DSCN0167.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 306
  • DSCN0154.jpg
    DSCN0154.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 323

Keith

Great job Russell! How close to an actual Mk8 do you think it is? Is this the model before the rear wing became part & parcel of the rear bodywork structure? Not sure of the model number but would have to be M9 or something..

Keith
Its dimensionally correct for an M8B, I have taken the liberty with the scoops on the door vents and the rear lip spoiler was only fitted to the M8A. The top of the rear guards should also have a small ridge along the outer edge, otherwise looking at it with the lights out....you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. I made those changes because I liked those details
I will take some pictures of both cars together tomorrow when I can stand back a bit and get a clearer pic.

Russell

Last edited:
Russell - can't wait for the pix!

Also - what about the strut (verticals) placement for your wing relative to the original car, and the wing height - are they similar?

Hi there
Loaded into the Speed show, the atrium is a little narrow to get good side by side shots, how ever you can easily see where my original car lines were not accurate.
The new car is quite imposing, a little larger and the colour is more yellow, which is annoying as I used the same brand and code paint. It is what it is.
Forrest, the wing attachments are in a similar location, directly onto the chassis and I have added the cross brace to give sideways stability.
Had a bit of fun driving the car around the show grounds and thru the buildings to get it in position...definitely got a good growl. Nearly did not get to drive it as when I started it up there this morning, I inadvertently knocked the dizzy which promptly spat the cap off and sheered the rotor key! fortunately the rotor is a firm fit so I just jammed it back in place and hoped for the best. It ran thank goodness.
There is also a genuine Aluminium Cobra there that is flawless, the body has been built here in NZ and you can not see any joins at all. The surface is mark free and highly polished. Very impressive.
Now for a rest.

Attachments

• DSCN0192.jpg
    DSCN0192.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 280
  • DSCN0189.jpg
    DSCN0189.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 270
  • DSCN0190.jpg
    DSCN0190.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 314
  • DSCN0194.jpg
    DSCN0194.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 280
Ok, will do that, its only some shots of the car running in the garage, I won`t be on the track until after Laguna Seca in August. Weather here in Auckland is crap at present with wet conditions for the last 3 weeks and more to come. Was very interesting getting the car to and from the show, rained just as I was unloading out on the street at home....sure is no traction on new slicks. The noise at 7.30 at night sure had the neighbour hood awake. Great fun and great to actually drive it after all this time.
Regards
Russell

Forrest, done....you can look under McLaren M8B and its on about the 3rd page or you can search under DSCN0292 which is my picture number as I did not see that you could name the download. There are still the previous videos from my other car under McLaren m8b on Pukekohe.
Cheers
Russell

Are you going to the Monterey Historics? I'll be there.

Somebody here at work just noticed me watching your video, and i'm wearing my orange M8-B t-shirt - they commented!

Forrest,
Yes I am, a friend and I are doing a blokes road trip and we will be there Sat and Sunday, I will dig out our ticket numbers and let you know as we may be able to catch up.
Regards
Russell

Cool! We've got general admission / paddock tix for Sat/Sun; staying here - Andril Cottages Pacific Grove

We'll drive up PCH Friday from LA in his silver 911 Targa (we'll look like a couple of dentists!) Have to head back Sunday for Yo-Yo Ma at the Hollywood Bowl that night.

Hope I can meet you - you getting in Friday evening?

Forrest

Forrest
We land LA on Wed morning then drive PCH up to San Simeon, Thursday to Monterey playing tourist and Friday to San Francisco for Alcatraz and visit a friend. We will be out to the track first thing Sat Morning, we may look like a couple of buzz cut `blokes`...should be fun.
Cheers
We should have a kiwi mobile ph 0274 314 185 on.

Back