McLaren replica build base on a Manta

Hello Terry,

Now that I am less focused on my build after the first track test... I took time to look around on others projects, and re-discovered your Maclaren replica build log ...
Congratulations, the result is superb and it is amazing to see how you modified the original parts, into the present car !

I believe you already tested it on the road ; if yes , may I ask you what is the first feed back ?

René

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
"Road", by meaning street, then yes, it's on the street. The road track event was missed due to an icy hill that prevented me getting out of the neighborhood with a trailer/car in tow.

Quick summary; Street impression is very good at this point. On some round-abouts, I'm getting a tiny bit of oversteer (expected). Overall, very responsive and stable, and the HTC-60 brake pads are a miracle compared to the street pads I had earlier. I've rescheduled the track test/tune for June. The extremely progressive throttle allows the car to feel like a 200hp car until I bury the throttle. Full throttle is a little scary, and things start happening very quickly, but very stable in doing so. Still working on fuel temperature concerns but it all appears to be gelling at this point toward an end to the build phase. Still not getting used to all the cell-phones sticking out of windows as I drive down the road, but best of all, the kids everywhere, as well as elderly women (???) love the car. Can't wait to get some paint on it.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Hello Terry,

Now that I am less focused on my build after the first track test... I took time to look around on others projects, and re-discovered your Maclaren replica build log ...
Congratulations, the result is superb and it is amazing to see how you modified the original parts, into the present car !

I believe you already tested it on the road ; if yes , may I ask you what is the first feed back ?

René

Last weekend I spent a day on a short track testing the car and myself (new track/new car). First feedback is:
1) Previous posts on this site brought me very close to a balanced suspension. I'm running a 15/16 bar front, and 3/4" rear. The rear was a little tight, so I moved the link out (one space) to soften the rear bar, which eliminated the slight oversteer concern I had. But even before I did that, the oversteer was very predictable and correctable, which was a joy to me.
2) Calculated brake set-up was off more than I anticipated. I believe part of that error was because the car weighs 200 lbs more than anticipated, and most of that extra weight is above the originally calculated CG. Thus, I had to bias the front brakes more than I would have thought. But it did work out very well, so now the brakes are in good shape. Even at a portly 200lbs heavier, the 12" X .810" rotors, and the Hawk HTC-60 pads, the brakes worked extremely well, but again, I wasn't pushing it a 100%.
3) Front camber of 1.3º appeared to need no change, but the rear was increased from about .7º to about 1.4º to get temps and wear looking good.
4) Drove 100% of the sessions in 3rd gear only, except for one single lap where I shifted to forth accidentally with no clutch (amazing how much easier a 930 shifts when fluid is at track temperature). Again, new car (my first one of this caliber), and new track, so my focus was a proper line, and learning the nuances of the car. Even with using only one gear, it pulls nicely out of the turns and was competitive even with the turbo Porsches and the Z06s out of the exits.

The softer feedback is that the car is a crowd magnet, that surprisingly few drivers recognized it for what I attempted (a Can Am McLaren resemblence), and the joy I had that it didn't break on the first day at the track. Again, I didn't push it too hard, 5700 RPM was the peak registered RPM, with 109 peak MPH, which wasn't too bad considering the short straights. I'm returning this fall, to focus on lap times now that I'm familiar with the course and car at speed. I guess one of the thrills was reviewing my wife's videos. She said mine was the only "Can Am sounding" car out there, and she didn't have to look up to know when I was coming back around the front straight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6pVxyymROA

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
GREAT JOB TERRY!!!!!

And to make the whole day with no issues in a brand new car speaks volumes to your build and prep! :)

Very nice sequence Terry and congratulation to get so close to a right set up for such a performance car !
From the video , looking at the sky you had for the day, you where on the way for a "Wet track" session !

Hi Terry, fantastic to read your post and hear how well your car went at its first real test. I'm not able to view the video yet as I'm at work in Papua New Guinea and the WiFi here won't support it so will be next month before I can watch it. 109mph in 3rd at 5700rpm, how will that play out for a top end speed, I'm thinking around another 40 to 50 mph with a 6500 rpm max ?? Any paint on it yet?? Can't wait to see the video or some photos. Cheers Leon

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Leon; No paint on it yet. Unfortunately I can't seem to find an uninterrupted two-week period to do that. Top speed is HP dependent, but based on gearing, about 180 with my tire size at 6200 RPM.

Thats a good top end if you have the HP to get there, how do you feel it will handle the aero at that speed will be fun (scary) finding out. I will savour the time thinking about your track day unless you would like to send me a compressed version but no pressure. Mine will slow down again as we are looking to build a new house. Believe it or not it only so I can build a workshop as the one I'm in could be getting demolished in the future so I do need something permenent. I should still get the body done this year and the chassis finished.

Cheers Leon

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Well, we're certainly leading the cheers for you to keep the progress up. Always enjoying when you through a crumb or two out our way.

Sorry mate nothing until August, if your bored check my "Custom T/A" site there is alittle progress there.
I just checked out your photo site and its interesting seeing the shots of the real car and comparing it directly to your car. You have nailed it Terry, you would have to be a blind person not to see what your's is, if I was beeing really pedantic the wind screen is the only thing I would knock and that is a practical thing for the road so no knocking there.
That Z car is a nice bit of kit, I'm a real Datsun/Nissan fan had a few 510s in my younger days, Love them and Ive had quite a few Nissans since and curretly drive a Q35 Skyline.
I would love to see some more detail photos of the Z if you would so indulge me

Cheers Leon

Last edited:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Finally found three days in which I could properly dedicate some time toward a final finish. Ran into some problems with the paint (mostly because it's been years since I last painted, and paint today is a lot different than back then), but I think I've got the hang of it from painting these smaller or less visible parts. Now on to the bigger ones...in a couple of weeks. These photos indicate the orange is more red than it actually is.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Slowly trudging along as I try to stay focused on the end game. I surrender and admit finally that I officially SUCK at shooting a coat of paint on a car. I used to be fairly decent with airplanes and trucks (15-20 years ago), but the current generation of paints has caught me off guard. Regardless, and with some corrections needed, I'm seeing the end of the tunnel. All that is left is the nose panel, and then some detailing for the dash and other interior (black) surfaces, as well as roundels, numbers, and the Gulf/Goodyear decals.

In good lighting, this orange paint actually "looks" more yellow than these photos indicate.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Last month after the rear panel was completed:

standard.jpg

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Looking really good from where I sit Terry!

Are we making up our mind on the air filters?
I think the tall filter elements will do a better job, however, the tea strainers look a bit more period...

Well I just checked the video (Got home Tuesday) awesome !! looks like it tracks great, not a lot of arm action on the wheel so that's always a good sign, sounds nice, and if it stops then you have pretty much the foundation for a very quick and fun car.

Then I saw the color, made me smile that color looks spot on as you say it tones down a little more yellow in the good light but even if it stayed the color it is in the photo's I'd be real happy with it, You might have to share the paint code with me. I REALLY like that color.

Been down the shed doing a bit on the T/A castings I picked up yesterday, home for a month now so hope to get some progress on the body.

Keep it up mate the finish line is well with in sight. Still haven't seen some more photos of the "Z" car mate.

Cheers Leon

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Sorry Leon,

Here are a few shots not shown on the fototime main page, but can be found further down in the albums list from my signature link. This car was my very first project in building basically the entire body out of fiberglass. The roof and C pillar are the only exterior metal.
lower tail panel with and inverted Acura grill
standard.jpg

Homemade dash and console (just the basics)
standard.jpg

This was one of the things I was most proud of. Sperical bearing replacements for the rubber suspension pivots. Took a lot of work, but it was worth it.
standard.jpg

Second most proud of was fabricating adapter plates so that I could run 930 CV joints on the Datsun rear end and struts. Never had another axle failure after making these.
standard.jpg

Using a Bonneville grill cut into pieces in the air exit (one of the few cosmetic rather than functional pieces)
standard.jpg

Ford truck tail lights with a horizontal splitter in an attempt to mask the true part.
standard.jpg

This 383 (stroked 351W) was what converted me into a true fan of longer stroke motors that could still twist tight. Never going back to the 289 after experiencing the grunt and power of this beast.
standard.jpg

Last edited:
Back