Mental block?

Mike Pass

Supporter
I have been thinking about a new motor for the GTD40. As the car is already on the road I don't need to use an old block to help pass the IVA test. The focus of my thinking is which would be the best block to buy. Strong blocks can be a bit heavy. Alloy are light but expensive and can have issues. There are so many to choose from and I don't have direct knowledge of their good and bad points. End use is mainly road with the odd track blast. 450hp, neutral balance crank. Alloy? motorsport block? four bolt main caps? Stroker?
I'd like a well mannered torquey engine but with the ability to rev a bit - 7,000 rpm? for a bit of top end kick. I'm not too well up with the range available nowadays so any suggestions as to the best value/spec block to base the build on and why would be very helpful. I'm sure there are some "block heads" out there who know chapter and verse on this stuff.
Thanks
Mike

Good question Mike. I'd be really curious to find out if there's someoen who makes an alloy small block that is generally regarded as being high quality and solid. There's obviously some good alloy big blocks available but I haven't seen a small block alloy block that is universally agreed to be the cat's meow.

331, alloy block, trick flow heads, sport cam, carillo rods, ARP, HC pistons, IDAs: 400+/400+ hp/tq, and a whole lot of fun.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Simon,
I had a chat about blocks with Mike Huddart the other day when I was picking up my flywheel. I was hoping our learned friends in the USA would have tried out some of the likely types and have some feedback on how good they are.
Cheers
Mike

Back