MkII radiator vent.

Hi all. I was just reading an article in an old copy of Motorsport, about the MkII's appearance at La Sarthe in '66, when i spotted something interesting. In photo's from the race, there was a vertical splitter within the nose radiator vent shown on (at least) chassis 1046, 1047 & XGT1. This splitter was best shown in a photo taken for the article (p34, Aug '06 issue).

The reason I mention this, is that I've not seen this splitter used in any of the current MkII replicas that I am familiar with, and I was wondering why? Surely, if a car is to be a replica of the MkII, this splitter should be in place - especially if you are trying to replicate the race winner - and yet I have not seen it on any MkII replica in production.

Apologies if this has been covered before...

... G

Edit - see what I mean here:- http://www.kitfoster.com/images/2009-4-24_GT40MkIIWeb-Large.jpg

Last edited:
We've put it in several cars, including some MK I's with the late hood.
spyder_lfront.jpg

Hi

Here is my MDA MkII with the divided single vent.

Steve

Attachments

• Divided vent.jpg
    Divided vent.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 270
The reason I mention this, is that I've not seen this splitter used in any of the current MkII replicas that I am familiar with, and I was wondering why? Surely, if a car is to be a replica of the MkII, this splitter should be in place - especially if you are trying to replicate the race winner - and yet I have not seen it on any MkII replica in production.

Good point. Although originally the Mk II cars had the central splitter, Holman & Moody elected to remove them by mid-season, and the H-M cars ran without them at Le Mans and afterwards. Into the 1967 season, most cars (including some H-M cars) had the splitter, but some didn't?

Back