MKII Rear Brake Scoops, my summer project

Yes I do own vac-bag material of a few types, two pumps and all the stuff to do vac- bag lay-ups. What I would really love to own, is an autoclave. Though I do have access to two of them. To do the snorkel scoops using the vac-bag system isn't cost effective for me. It's great technology, but over-kill for the part. I use a wet lay-up with vinylester resin that takes thirty minutes, thirty minutes to demold, bond the inner tube in, trim and done! I was comparing the weight and cost of a NASCAR hood today using a regular glass lay-up, light wieght S2 glass/epoxy resin system and corbon/epoxy lay-up. The carbon hood was three times the price for a wieght savings of about ten onces. Maybe that's enough to win races! I don;t know, but seems like a wast of money to me.

The first run of carbon scoops. We won't be doing fiberglass anymore. If anyone would like fiberglass, please contact Bill.

Attachments

• 73809-IMG_2749.jpg
    73809-IMG_2749.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 342
[ QUOTE ]
We won't be doing fiberglass anymore. If anyone would like fiberglass, please contact Bill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, Adam, that's a pretty shitty back-handed insult to Bill. What you appear to be implying is, "Hey, we won't bother doing these pieces in fiberglass, because our CF is so much better than fiberglass - we'll leave the fiberglass work to the dregs of the marketplace." Perhaps you should be fabricating parts for the fast & furious crowd, as they seem to have a perpetual hard-on for CF parts. Really, what is the weight savings of CF over GRP in a pair of MkII scoops - maybe 3 or 4 ounces?

There appears to be some friction between yourself and Bill. This is unfortunate because both of you have demonstrated a capability of bringing excellent tech to the forum. Bill brings 30+ years of racecar GRP fabrication experience and you bring excellent engineering design and technical analysis skills. Why do you feel a need to belittle the fine work that Bill does?

Dalesince59, In all fairness, I feel I have to put a plug in for myself here. I also make carbon fiber MKII rear brake scoops and also in fiberglass too. I can make you the whole MKII body if you need one! I would be glad to give you a price! just email me at [email protected]

You are correct Mark! My wife typed it in that way when we set up our computer, so I stuck with it. Me... correct my wife..... fat chance of that happening!

Back