Moderation and the Forum

Ron Earp

Admin
<font color="green"> I've had a fwe people email me over the last few weeks indicating they like our GT40 forum but don't like the fact we're "uptight" as they put it. Cited examples were posts being moved often, use of names, etc. Some were members, new ones, others were folks that lurk a lot but don't join due to the cited reasons.

Frankly, we'll do this anyway people request or you folks decide. we have moderators that can move posts, delete offensive posts, and close topics although I don't know if most of the moderators know they can do this. I end up moving a lot of posts because I don't see why it is so difficult for someone to post a questoin about engines in the Engine forum and one about a specific car in the Historic section. I am "on it" as they say but I do it because I would like the forum to be a useable, searchable, and fantastic piece of information now and 5 years from now. However, those are my thoughts and yours might be different.

More than a few people have wanted it to be more like the Cobra Forums, where anything goes and the sites is very active and "fun". That is okay too if that is what folks want. I want the place to be fun as well as informative. Any ideas on making this happen are welcome. </font>

Ron-

I am a member of ffcobra.com and they post a lot of "jovial" topics unrelated to building their cars. However, I do like the professional approach here. I am completely happy with the current format.

Regards

Bill D

Keep it the way it is!!!
If I wanted to be on the Cobra forum I'd read their section. I do check out both but this just feels like home.
I've been here since the start and I just love the progress it has made. The GT is special and so the site should be.
John
PS Ron quite worring what others want your site to be and use your time to get that car on the road. At this rate I may beat you to it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm working but all is stopped as of yesterday since we're moving. I don't worry too much about what others think but I do try to accomidate as many folks as we can.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Ron,
I like it the way it is. There is not a lot of "trash" to sort through. I like the way it is moderated, and presented. The way the posts are moved, is for our benefit, so that those who "do" use the search function can find things easier. Do what you like, but I for one like not having all the BS, that is on so many other forums.
Regards Brian

If it ain't broke, don't fix it....
It ain't broke... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Ron, I have far less experience than others but I like the way this forum runs and is organized. I would be in favor of keeping things as they are. I think they work fine, and what works ought not to be fixed.

Ron,
I know I am a moderator but I am with you. The forethought of 5 years from now is showing that the forum is not only for people now, but those in the future. I spend half my life as a systems auditor telling people that they need to store data better....

Brett

Ron I think this forum is excellent and a testiment to you and the other moderators and members who spend time making it what it is.

Richard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ron

This is an excellent and well organised forum it works no need to change it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Ron, If people want to post funny, unrelated or BS posts there is a forum called off topic posts. So those people are catered for. As far as moving posts to the correct forum goes, as you say, it will help with search's in the future and that is to everyones benefit. This is the only forum on the net I post to, although I have a lot of interests in addition to GT40's. The reason is, this forum is well moderated and not full of the crap, and personal insults one reads on other forums. As well as most members seem to go out of their way to be helpful and informative whenever they can. Don't change nuthin... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

This place has an exceptional signal-to-noise ratio as a result of the way it's run. If people view that as being "uptight" then I would suggest they visit some other websites that have been ruined by an "anything goes" approach - I suggest looking at sjsharks.com for a start. Try to find any meaningful hockey discussion on that site - and I think they'll come to appreciate this site a little better.

And I suppose there are those who think I am one of the more "uptight" people around here, since I try (in my own way - not in any official capacity as an administrator) to keep the S/N ratio high. To those people I say don't be so uptight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Yuji

Lifetime Supporter
I do like the way it is. All the topics on the forum sections are well organized, which makes us easy to find necessary information for our toys! I agree to keep it as it is.
Thanks

David

Lifetime Supporter
Keep the forum going the way it is. Doesn't it seem funny that people will send you their desires via private e-mail, but will not bring them up here where they can be discussed by the other members of the forum.

Regarding names - please keep requiring names! Otherwise the noise to content ratio can become unbearable.

My opinion.

David Lowell

As Hersh said, don't fix something that works.(Unless you work for the government) this is one of the very , very few places where democracy works. Don't let the few shape the world of the many.(unless the many agree)

Ron
Keep moderating!
The lack of BS is what keeps me coming back. As was said earlier, the 'siganl to noise' is the key for me. I don't have time to read every post (even though I do try), so having appropriate titles, things in the right place etc, is vital.
Your approach is spot on. Including the password verification system for new users.
All the best

Keep on keeping on. I think the forum is just fine the way it is. Lots of good information and generally where you would expect to find it (thanks to appropriate management). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back