Most Common Mistakes - New GT40 Owner

The biggest mistake I have witnessed is to think you are buying a Ferrari or Porsche factory built road car - It is not!
The mistake continues when you blame everybody except yourself for being completely stupid in not understanding what you were buying and then trying to get everybody and his dog to “fix” it, going on to blame them when they don’t magically resolve all the issues you can’t live with.

If I sound passionate about this it is because I unfortunately got involved trying to help and advise a person who had no idea what he was getting into and blames everyone for his own ignorance, stubbornness and stupidity
His actions include a post on this forum savaging the new owner of the business that originally built his kit, without any justification. I know that the new owner bent over backwards trying to help this guy.

This man slandered me by telling anyone that would listen that I had advised him to do the very opposite of what I said.
He also slandered several local businesses that tried to help.

Mistake 1: Don’t be that guy.
Mistake 2: Don’t try to help that guy.

Tim.

The biggest mistake I have witnessed is to think you are buying a Ferrari or Porsche factory built road car - It is not!
The mistake continues when you blame everybody except yourself for being completely stupid in not understanding what you were buying and then trying to get everybody and his dog to “fix” it, going on to blame them when they don’t magically resolve all the issues you can’t live with.

If I sound passionate about this it is because I unfortunately got involved trying to help and advise a person who had no idea what he was getting into and blames everyone for his own ignorance, stubbornness and stupidity
His actions include a post on this forum savaging the new owner of the business that originally built his kit, without any justification. I know that the new owner bent over backwards trying to help this guy.

This man slandered me by telling anyone that would listen that I had advised him to do the very opposite of what I said.
He also slandered several local businesses that tried to help.

Mistake 1: Don’t be that guy.
Mistake 2: Don’t try to help that guy.

Tim.
Tim, thanks for sharing. I agree with you that these things are not a factory built road car. I learned that lesson pretty hard in the beginning and what I finally came to the conclusion that at that point in my life I couldn't keep tweaking the car. If I were to do this again I would make sure I started the purchase with interviewing a race shop and make a standing appointment every 6 months to fix/tweak things. They always need bolts turned.

Just my experience, I still greatly miss my SPF

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ya Frank, She gonna run hot then cold, scream at ya, refuse to do work, spend your money, fart, cry, leak all over the place, blow all the water out when she gets hot, then just scare the shit out of you and make your hair stand on end. Oh but when she's in the mood...………...you will never complain again.

Kind of like a 40 year old truck stop waitress on a Tuesday night. If you treat her just right...………..she really knows how to reward skilled touch.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Even the SPF cars, although they are "factory built," require a skilled touch on a regular basis. Although probably not the same the same type of skilled touch that Howard was referring to.

Back