Movable pedal box?

Hey guys,

I'd like to accommodate drivers from 5' 2" to about 6' 2" in my SLC. I have the telescoping GM column and have been hearing it's best to keep the seat fixed by having the pedals be adjustable forwards/backwards. Are there any kits for this or will I have to engineer something myself? I have some ideas on how, but happy to hear your input too.

I have the Tilton pedals.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim,

we have a sliding pedal box that cable operated in the race car but its quite involved...time consuming to manufacture...but works very well.

Eglitom did a similar system in his RCR40 using a pair of seat sliders

A whole 12 inches of travel is going to be a tough one to accomodate though...our adjustable pedal mount is keyholed with multiple positions and is one solution but it does not have anywhere near 12 inches of adjustment.

Cool. Do you have any pics of the one in the race car? I'll reach out to Eglitom as well.

I think I'd need about 4-6" of travel to accommodate 12" of height difference. The people on the end of that spectrum will have to just deal with it being a touch short/long. I'm 5' 10" and it will definitely be perfect for me. :)

Here are some options I'm finding:
Race Ready > Cnc Adjustable Pedal Mount
HyperRacing - Online Store - 34-599 - Hyper Adjustable Pedal Assembly (like the concept, won't work with Tilton; also not easy to adjust)
Latest Rage - ac798572 Super Slide for Roller Pedals | Sand Parts - Dune Buggy and Sand Rail Parts
Latest Rage - ac798574 Pedal Slide Sand Rail CNC Neal Jamar STAND ALO | Sand Parts - Dune Buggy and Sand Rail Parts

Or I go buy those pedal extenders they sell for really short people. :)

Tim

Tim,

It may not have come through clearly in Fran's response.

He has TWO options available. The cable operated option that is used in the race car, and then another much, much less expensive option that is basically a moveable plate with several stops.

We need to facilitate a 5 inch difference in our car. . . maybe less if I wear heels :). . . and think the cheaper option will suffice for us.

Cheers,

Ruth

Hi Tim,
I built a set of cable actuated adjustable seat slider style pedals for my SLC based in part on Tom's GT40 design. You can visit my build log for more info or drive 45 minutes down the peninsula and check them out in person. They should accommodate persons from approx 5-4 to 6-3 and can be biased in either direction.

Cheers
Rob

Hi Tim,

Check out the Marcos 2-seat coupe. Always had adjustable pedals. Suspended, not floor mounted but you can mount the Tiltons that way.. Pedal box was mounted on a frame running on two longitudinal bars. A long captive nut on the frame. A screw thread through the nut connected to a turn wheel on or under the dash. Turn the wheel = move the pedals.
Worked great on all my Marcos. I believe later versions had electric power.
John McL.

I was thinking about using a seat slider, but think it might be best to just move the pedals instead like here.

I was thinking just put the pedals on some type of rail system, the sides in slots of alum so it can move forward and back. Then use a linear actuator to move it back and forth with a switch. Do the same thing as the screw in type, just quicker and easier since electric. I would think it would not move when done and if needed maybe get a strong actuator, but typical is like 225lb but can be way higher max load. Maybe have a pin type of system on the sides with a spring, so you pull the pin and move it forward or back and then it put the pin back in when done just to make sure it does not move.

This one is like 1700lbs 8 inch linear actuator 1760LBS(thrust) 1320(pull) 12V/24V DC worm Gear 6mm/s | eBay

$(KGrHqRHJFIE88e5T(ORBPb!c!OS4g~~60_12.JPG

Hi Tim,

Check out the Marcos 2-seat coupe. Always had adjustable pedals. Suspended, not floor mounted but you can mount the Tiltons that way.. Pedal box was mounted on a frame running on two longitudinal bars. A long captive nut on the frame. A screw thread through the nut connected to a turn wheel on or under the dash. Turn the wheel = move the pedals.
Worked great on all my Marcos. I believe later versions had electric power.
John McL.

Something similar.

Howard came up with a simple, cheap, and effective solution for his pedal assembly. It is documented in his build thread.

Back