My RCR "DPE-962X" 8500 RPM -1500HP Engine Build *lots of pics*

AutoNut

CURRENTLY BANNED
Perry
It's a 2006 corvette LS2 motor from a car that went to Lingenfelter for their 630hp SC corvette package. The motor had 10,752 miles on it when I removed it and ran perfect. Only about 1500 miles were put on after it came back from Lingenfelter.

What would be pros/cons of your setup vs. a 3800supercharged for a fiero based replica? thanks.

Also for this thread, I don't see much talk about rotary engines. What are pros/cons vs. alternatives for a high perf engine? Thanks!

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
You don't see much about rotarys on this thread, because it's about Deans engine, and his build. Use the search option, as there is rotary information on this site. This thread is about Perrys stuff, but the thread keeps getting drifted away.

Regards Brian

Dusty

GT40s Supporter
A thread getting carried away..that never happens.:laugh: The LS7 is definitely a wonderful powerplant to start with. Even in stock form. Just ask Aquila race cars.

A thread getting carried away..that never happens.:laugh: The LS7 is definitely a wonderful powerplant to start with. Even in stock form. Just ask Aquila race cars.

Dusty,

Cant wait to see yours finished ....
Got a lot on the table right now to start this project.
Don't want it sitting around collecting dust.
It will happen though.

Besides my Corvette shop ,I own a restaurant and show people and potential customers pictures of the SL-C and the 962. I am getting a lot of interest in the SL-C.

:idea:
Was thinking, Maybe I should build a Mega HP SL-C first for potential customers and the 962X later for me. After all I have 2 Dart Billet LS7 blocks.

BDP

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hey Perry did you ever consider just using the LS9 crate motor for $21,000, running a smaller pulley for the blower and dropping in a cam? This gets you 730+ horsepower in a drop in package without the nightmare of building a motor and spending 4 times the cost. The standard 962 had 730 horsepower if my memory serves, but a lot less torque than this combination. More power than that in a 2300 pound car sounds like a recipe for wheelspin and cooling problems, transmission issues, not to mention intercooler plumbing hassles. Where are the intercoolers being mounted in the car? Are you going to do what the race car did and mount a giant core above the motor?

Porsche_962_-_1.JPG

I look forward to your progress and hope to see this beast running soon! If this 962 package was street legal I would have to reconsider my plan for Fran's P4 car next year. I would go with a 996 TT motor in my build however as I would want to keep it Porsche in the engine bay.

Hey Perry did you ever consider just using the LS9 crate motor for $21,000, running a smaller pulley for the blower and dropping in a cam? This gets you 730+ horsepower in a drop in package without the nightmare of building a motor and spending 4 times the cost. The standard 962 had 730 horsepower if my memory serves, but a lot less torque than this combination. More power than that in a 2300 pound car sounds like a recipe for wheelspin and cooling problems, transmission issues, not to mention intercooler plumbing hassles. Where are the intercoolers being mounted in the car? Are you going to do what the race car did and mount a giant core above the motor?

I look forward to your progress and hope to see this beast running soon! If this 962 package was street legal I would have to reconsider my plan for Fran's P4 car next year. I would go with a 996 TT motor in my build however as I would want to keep it Porsche in the engine bay.

Bro,

I love building specialty motors. It's no nightmare believe me. I have been doing it my whole life. There is great satisfaction doing all the math then coming up with the right combination of parts on your own to build a reliable mega HP bullet proof motor that runs like a Swiss watch.
I cannot think of a better car to put this Dart 427 into besides a Dragster or Sandrail.

There are many drivetrane options as you can from all the suggestions everybody has suggested on this post. They're all great choices. This car though will be my personal extreme machine. For customers, I will put in what they want be it Porsche ,LS9 etc. I want to show them how far they can go with my extreme 962X build. I still have a lot of work to do when I get Fran's kit to make it survive the torque this engine will produce and the speed it will be capable of. There will not be a ET of completion for this build by any means. It's got to be perfect for me and the car to survive.

There will be many coolers on this car all custom made. I'm not really concerned about cooling. I have some cool ideas I am going to utilize that I have been working on for a while. The Veyron tires are F'n expensive but it might be my only option for street tires for a high speed run. Boy I have a lot more saving to do. LOL

Remember, the 962 has tremendous downforce and that will rob A LOT of power. I'm not saying I'll be able to put almost 2000HP to the ground on a 2700 lb car but it will be fun to try. With a traction control system, and progressive boost, wheel spin will be under control to keep it pointing in the right direction.

It's 3:50am !!:dizzy:

Been up working since 8am. That's what's going to help me get the $$ to put this beast together. Working my F'n a$$ off ...

Good night all.

Perry

BDP

CURRENTLY BANNED
Bro,

I love building specialty motors. It's no nightmare believe me. I have been doing it my whole life. There is great satisfaction doing all the math then coming up with the right combination of parts on your own to build a reliable mega HP bullet proof motor that runs like a Swiss watch.
I cannot think of a better car to put this Dart 427 into besides a Dragster or Sandrail.

There are many drivetrane options as you can from all the suggestions everybody has suggested on this post. They're all great choices. This car though will be my personal extreme machine. For customers, I will put in what they want be it Porsche ,LS9 etc. I want to show them how far they can go with my extreme 962X build. I still have a lot of work to do when I get Fran's kit to make it survive the torque this engine will produce and the speed it will be capable of. There will not be a ET of completion for this build by any means. It's got to be perfect for me and the car to survive.

There will be many coolers on this car all custom made. I'm not really concerned about cooling. I have some cool ideas I am going to utilize that I have been working on for a while. The Veyron tires are F'n expensive but it might be my only option for street tires for a high speed run. Boy I have a lot more saving to do. LOL

Remember, the 962 has tremendous downforce and that will rob A LOT of power. I'm not saying I'll be able to put almost 2000HP to the ground on a 2700 lb car but it will be fun to try. With a traction control system, and progressive boost, wheel spin will be under control to keep it pointing in the right direction.

It's 3:50am !!:dizzy:

Been up working since 8am. That's what's going to help me get the $$ to put this beast together. Working my F'n a$$ off ...

Good night all.

Perry

My experience has shown that "built" motors are usually more trouble, more expensive, more likely to go kablammo, leak oil, misfire, torqued wrong, measured incorrectly, built incorrectly etc etc...Luckily you are the engine builder and do not have to worry about any of that!

I wish I was more mechanically minded as I have wasted way too many dollars down the drain buying built motors that exploded shortly after installing them. Buying factory engines, then adding some bolt ons has served me way better, and that is what I will do on all of my projects from now on. I would rather rely on the factory building the OEM motor knowing what they were doing, then some dingleberry in a shop thinking he can build an engine only to find he didn't use the right torque specs, couldn't machine the heads properly and I ended up with a 450 pound paperweight. I also have a 350 pound rotary paperweight, and two 250 pound 4 cylinder paperweights....:veryangry:

As for cooling your car, the 1200hp mid engined Bugatti Veyron has a total of 10 radiators, including 3 for the engine and 3 for the water cooled intercoolers. Not sure you will need that much cooling, but 1500+hp in a mid engine car will need some extra cooling.

Tires should not be a problem, Pilot Sport Cups, Yokohama A048 or even the Advan Neova AD08 would all be a great choice for your 962.

I look forward to seeing you push the limits on what can be done with your car build. I am looking at a 450 horsepower motor for my car next year, and you are looking to add 1000+ horsepower to that number! I am sure that there will not be many faster street cars once you are done with it! :thumbsup:

Every HP needs radiator space. The engine will generate heat. The gearbox will generate heat. The bigger the engine, the less freespace around it and thus less awmbient cooling.More radiators means more coolant, more weight, more brake area required,etc.

Dusty

GT40s Supporter
I don't know about you guys, but I plan on running General Exclaim tires on my 700 ponie 962. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Remember, the 962 has tremendous downforce and that will rob A LOT of power.
Perry:

Since this is going to be your own car and all, your car does not necessarily need to have 962 levels of downforce all the time.

Just make the parts of the car that create the downforce moveable. My example would be the Chaparral 2. Yes, the Chaparral had one external moveable downforce component (the rear wing) and one internal (the front duct).

chaparral1.jpg

Image courtesy of and c Chaparral Files

The 962, on the other hand, used the entire body to create downforce.

Porsche962101-MS1.jpg

Image courtesy of and c The Mulsanne's Corner

Dyson962-101MF-6.jpg

Underbody of the 962. Courtesy and c Mulsanne's Corner

Notwithstanding the differences in application, the principles would be the same. When you need lots of downforce, the car's aerodynamic devices configure to create it. When you need less or no downforce, the aerodynamic devices configure to give you those outcomes as well.

And yes, Mr. Moderator, I know that body aerodynamics is a subject separate (but equal! :) to building an engine. I will therefore, let this single post suffice for this thread and create another thread for the topic. Okay?

Bassanio et Portia :)

Last edited:
Hi perry,
A while back you said:
For a dash, I will be fabricating an aesthetically pleasing unit consisting of carbon fiber, padded leather and aluminum to house all the gauges and switches.

Do you have any drawings of the interior you will produce?
Need help?

Keep up the good stuff!
Ramon

Liking your style as goes to building your engine!
Just a thought towards your oil catch/separator from page 1. Instead of s/s 'wool' why not use polypropylene 'wool'. It's what we use in our oily water separators, being oleophilic it will more readily 'attract' any oil in the airflow.

Looking forward to further updates,

Ben

I have a problem with the sound of the cross plane V8! It`s just doesn't sound like a race engine!
Crossplane.gif
How about the BMW M5 V10 engines they cost at the salvage yard over her about 8000$. Nice sound track and you can go with a turbo kit on them...

Last edited:
Back